Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 12:51

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I'll be 73 next month. I'm finding, like some of you, that I bruise more easily with age. They always fade on their own. I'm not taking any prescription or OTC meds, but lots of natural supplements. I think most or all of my health problems come from being fat, and I'm working on that. Not as strictly low-carb as some of you, so I'm losing very slowly, which is usually fine with me.

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-18, 04:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/332/250 Female 5ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress:

Hi Melesana. I am 68 All my health problems are from overweight. Looking for a weight loss buddy. can't stand cauliflower rice or potatoes.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 06:29

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:

My life was spent working hard at my own business of one type and another. I dreamed of enjoying my retirement in leisure and rejoiced when the day arrived. Mexico stretches my SS dollars in a perfect climate for me. The rent takes most of it, but pays for strong young gardeners to help, housecleaning once a week, meals, pool and spa maintenance, all utilities and if I don't appear in the dining room, someone checks on me. I ride a scooter so you never know and my Precious pup needs to be looked after. I find I'm a bit of a recluse and am surprised as I'm also an extrovert. Losing this extra weight now at this age is my last challenge and although life is easy, each day is now a struggle. I hate that I didn't do it earlier, I battle everyday to stay on plan and tell myself that the rewards will come in the future. Hang in there and be strong.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 06:39
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvmx
My life was spent working hard at my own business of one type and another. I dreamed of enjoying my retirement in leisure and rejoiced when the day arrived. Mexico stretches my SS dollars in a perfect climate for me. The rent takes most of it, but pays for strong young gardeners to help, housecleaning once a week, meals, pool and spa maintenance, all utilities and if I don't appear in the dining room, someone checks on me. I ride a scooter so you never know and my Precious pup needs to be looked after. I find I'm a bit of a recluse and am surprised as I'm also an extrovert. Losing this extra weight now at this age is my last challenge and although life is easy, each day is now a struggle. I hate that I didn't do it earlier, I battle everyday to stay on plan and tell myself that the rewards will come in the future. Hang in there and be strong.
A decade ago I looked into moving to Lake Chapala. Really wanted to. It's good to know that somebody made it.

As for losing the weight. If I can do it, you can, too. Enjoy.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 05:10

BF:

People from the States are moving down in droves. We have one main hwy. called a carretera and when the snowbirds are here it's bumper to bumper all day. Patience is a learned trait for us as the Mexicans are born with lots of it. Manana is for real and means, "Maybe tomorrow and definitely not today." It's not for everyone, but I'm here to stay.
  #96   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 21:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
A decade ago I looked into moving to Lake Chapala. Really wanted to. It's good to know that somebody made it.

Haha, years ago (over 30) I went on a vacation to Guadalajara, Mexico with my young son, a friend, and her young son. My friend was half Mexican and we stayed with her cousin in Guadalajara. Quite an interesting experience though my friend didn’t speak a single word of Spanish and her cousin didn’t speak a single word of English!

Anyway, the cousin had a lovely home, and we enjoyed exploring Guadalajara. However I’m not at all fond of cities as a rule. I wanted to get out of the city and see some countryside. I thought of renting a car and driving down to see lake Chapala. When I discussed the idea with the cousin she was horrified! She said driving on the roads was horribly dangerous and even possibly fatal for Americans, especially two American women with young kids. She said there were bandits all along the roads just waiting to prey on Americans, and within the year a number of Americans had been murdered by the bandits....So I gave up the idea and never did get to see Lake Chapala. 🤪

The cousin did serve us great food though (heck, she was rich, and had a full-time cook), but of course it was not LC. LC was not even on my radar map in 1986 other than something promoted by that snake-oil salesman, Dr. Atkins.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, May-28-18, 04:08

BF:

I've lived here now for 11 years and the cartel is here, but I don't know if I've ever seen one. Life is peaceful and laidback here on the lake. At this all inclusive hacienda the meals are very healthy and cooked to expat tastes. It's up to me to choose LC and ignore the pasta, rice and potatoes. This month has been difficult. So many birthday parties and everyone celebrating survival of another year. I'm rejoicing in the completion of the pool remodel and joined a line dance class.
I had to quit ping pong as I didn't have the energy to garden and whack the ball. The gardens look great and who can keep still when the music starts. Not me.