Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/234/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Joined today

Good morning everyone,

My name is Nancy and I just joined this forum today. I am 38 yrs old, am happily married and have a terrific two year old. I have struggled with my weight forever, and really feel that for my health I need to do something about it. I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is a factor in my weight struggles. As well, I have high blood pressure and elevated tryglcerides (sp??). I need to make some changes in my life to ensure that I'm around to see my baby grow up.

I have tried low carbing in the past and during those times, have never felt better. However, I tend to get bored and give up. In the past I have done Atkins, as well as a couple of other low carb plans. This time, I am considering doing the GI diet as it seems to have more variety.

Any suggestions about what plan to follow or tips to get started?

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know you.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:58

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

I would like to welcome you to the forum. We are here to ensure that you don't give up this time.

As far as diet advice on the GI plan, I can't help you, but others can. i do believe there is a thread dedicated to that woe. Trying doing a search in the forum for it. I'm sure you will mind some information there.

Happy Low carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:27

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

Like Vanity, I'm not very knowledgeable about the GI Plan, but I'd like to offer a warm welcome to you.

Best of luck to you! I know what you mean about wanting to get healthy for your child. My 5 year old son has been my biggest motivator thus far.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:57

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Welcome aboard.
Jag
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:29
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome Nancy!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 10:26

Plan: M&E
Stats: 265/265/170 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome! I don't know much about the GI Plan either, but I know you can find something on this forum - this has the most information I've ever found about LCing it!

Good luck!

Chris
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 11:25

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Nancy - You have already answered your own question by stating that the GI plan seemed right for you after some investigation and you already know that lc works and you feel great on it. So now all we need to do is wish you well and give you all the support you need. Welcome back.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 11:52

Plan: mod.Atkins
Stats: 185/173/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up getting it this time....sorry so long

Hello, I am a newbie also, and I have "failed" on my low carbs in the past. However this time it has been different, and I can only share what is working for me, nobody else. Personally, I totally skipped induction, and am not really abiding by the Atkins books. I took most of the philosophy and changed it to meet my needs. I incorporate all the "non-legal in induction" substitutes..i.e. atkins bread, lc ice-cream/bars etc, into my everyday diet and I am losing weight just fine. I guess this works because I practice portion control with these things...I don't have four atkin bars at once, or three bowls of the mornig start ceral. Some people find these subs just too close to the real thing, and they end up overdoing it. They just don't do that for me. However, if I hit a plateau, I might be singing a different tune. Also, thistime around I am listening to my body. One day I was so sick, nauseaus, faint and weak...I knew I needed something with some sugar in it to help me be well. I have two small children, so feeling sick is not an option!! So, I picked a healthy lower-carb fruit...strawberries. I had a big bowl, and felt better in 10 minutes. I don't haveto do thatanymore, because eventually you adjust. But I am not going to suffer for a way of eating...thats is why I love low carb!
However, my friend can eat less than 20 carbsaday, and feel fine. I do try to aim at the lowest number possible. My weight keepscoming off, so I am not worried. You may or may not have asimilar experience...but I say relax..andenjoy the many benifits of low carbing...lowered appetite, freedom from binging...and great food! Hope this helped ....... Meredith
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 12:45

Stats: 237/234/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the information. I plan to start tomorrow and just need to review my GI and Atkins books to see which one I'll follow. I may start with Atkins b/c I need a jump start.

Looking forward to following everyon'e progress and being able to report on my own.

Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 13:08
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Welcome and good luck!