Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 16:08

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Yahoo! article today says we NEED carb

What do you guys think of this article that is listed on Yahoo!'s homepage this evening?

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-liv...-143600755.html

You'd be hard-pressed to find a woman watching her weight who doesn't think that carbs are evil. Between diet books like Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, and Cavewomen Don't Get Fat, it's no wonder we're not only terrified of croissants, we're also pretty sure we shouldn't be eating whole wheat anything either. But here's a secret the authors of those best sellers don't want you to know: You need carbs. In fact, eliminating them could harm your health and make you miss out on one of the most effective ways to stay slim. "Carbs should make up the majority of your diet, especially if you're active," says Kelly Pritchett, PhD, RD, a sports dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. We cut through the confusion so you can welcome back carbs with open (sculpted) arms.

What Are Carbs, Exactly?
They're nutrients that break down into glucose, your body's primary source of energy, and tons of foods contain them. "Carbs get a bad rap, but we need them to keep our brain working and our heart pumping," says Tanya Zuckerbrot, RD, the author of The Miracle Carb Diet.

Not all carbs are created equal, however. Naturally occurring sugars like fructose in fruit and lactose in dairy, sugars that are added to foods, and refined grains such as white rice are broken down quickly by your body. That means they provide almost-instant energy, but it doesn't last. And unless they're bundled with other nutrients, like the fiber in an apple or the protein in yogurt, they're basically empty calories. Other carbs, such as those found in whole grains, vegetables and legumes, take longer to digest, so you get a steadier supply of energy.

"Carbohydrate-rich foods like bread can be very high in calories," Pritchett says. "But many foods that contain carbs, such as fruits and vegetables, are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals." Others fall somewhere in between: Whole grains contain a lot of nutrients and calories, while low-fat dairy has a medium amount of both. The bottom line: Cut down on added sugar and refined grains and consider all other carbs fair game.

If Carbs Are So Great, Why Is Everyone on a Low-Carb Diet?
Well, it's easy to overdo it on certain carbs. When you eat any type of carb, your body releases insulin to help you regulate an increase in blood sugar. But your system processes refined carbs so quickly that your blood sugar may dip, setting off an "eat more" signal in your brain.
The problem is, cutting out all carbs can hamper your weight-loss efforts, especially if you're active. "They're our primary energy source during exercise, and we can't get to the same level of intensity if we're carb depleted," Pritchett says. She recommends getting 45 to 65 percent of your calories from carbs, depending on how much cardio you do (aerobic activity requires more carbs than Pilates, for example). "You need 130 grams a day just for your brain to function, and active women should aim for between 200 and 300 grams," she explains.

Skimp on carbs and you'll also miss out on important nutrients, Zuckerbrot says. "Many of the vitamins and minerals we need come from fruits and vegetables, so cutting these out can lead to deficiencies." And your mood could suffer, too: A yearlong study found that people on a low-carb diet reported feeling angrier and more depressed than those on a low-fat diet did.
Related: The Scoop on Common Nutrition Myths

Why Do I Crave Carbs When I'm Tired or Sad?

They provide the quickest blood sugar boost, and your brain knows that, says Wendy Bazilian, RD, a coauthor of The SuperFoodsRx Diet. They also help your body produce the hormone serotonin, which balances your emotions and gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling (hey, macaroni and cheese is called comfort food for a reason).
The good news: Just because it's a craving doesn't mean it's bad. "High-fiber carbs can help increase serotonin without wrecking your diet," Zuckerbrot says. Add healthy fats and protein and they'll keep your blood sugar steady too.

Should I Eat Carbs Before My Workout?

To kill it at the gym, yes. Bazilian suggests eating half a piece of whole-grain toast or half a banana 45 to 60 minutes before your workout. "The idea is to provide your body with easily digestible energy far enough in advance that your workout isn't interrupted by the digestion process," she says. (There's no need to nosh if you're exercising for less than 60 minutes within a couple of hours after a meal and don't feel hungry.)

If you have a marathon or triathlon coming up, carb loading can help you store extra fuel and fluid in your muscles, explains Kim Larson, RD, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. But don't pig out on pasta the night before or you'll feel weighed down during the main event. "You want to increase your carbohydrate intake by up to 100 grams a day -- about an extra three servings -- starting three days before the big event," Larson says.

Could I Become Addicted to Carbs?

It's possible. Recent research in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that study subjects who drank a super-sugary milk shake showed increased activity in their nucleus accumbens, the "pleasure center" in the brain that regulates reward and addiction, four hours afterward. In other words, eating the wrong kind of carbs can become a vicious cycle, Bazilian explains, because your body gets a rush and then crashes, leaving you craving a fix.
Breaking the cycle can be hard, but it's definitely not impossible. Instead of trying to cut out treats entirely (as if!), combine something sweet, like dark chocolate chips or dried apricots, with something containing healthy protein and fats -- think roasted almonds or Greek yogurt -- to balance the sugar and slow digestion.

And while the occasional handful of pretzels or side of steamed white rice won't hurt you, make most of your grains whole.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 17:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's all false. Kelly Pritchett is an expert in carbs. She knows nothing about fat. She couldn't possibly know how to advise cutting carbs, since she never tested it in her own practice.

http://www.fcs.uga.edu/people/bio/kpritch

Tanya Zuckerbrot is naturally thin, and most likely has zero personal experience with growing fatter, therefore couldn't possibly imagine the carbs she eats will make other people fat if they eat it. Just the title of her book illustrates this well enough. Oh, she's an RD. No expertise there whatsoever a priori. She sells a book and other stuff.

http://ffactor.com/

Wendy Bazilian also sells a book and other stuff.

http://www.wendybazilian.com/

Kim Larson sells all kinds of stuff, including pasta.

http://www.totalhealthrd.com/about/

There's not a single bit of truth in the article. It's all sales pitch. I'm too lazy to refute each instance of falsehood, but it should be easy enough. For example, "You need 130 grams a day just for your brain to function, and active women should aim for between 200 and 300 grams," Yeah, right. Here's how it actually works. The brain will use 130g of glucose, if you provide it through diet. But if you don't provide anywhere near 130g of glucose through diet (like with Atkins induction for example, where you provide it with a maximum 20g of glucose), the brain will then use mostly ketones.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 17:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Dessert (32g carbs): 1/2 cup light ice cream with 1/2 cup sliced strawberries

This part--telling somebody to just stick to half a cup of ice cream is like advising teenagers to just stick to a little heavy petting, and hoping it won't lead to anything more serious. Not a good plan.

Their whole meal plan seems to involve taking all the joy out of food. I've tried the dried toast plan. The urge to add large amounts of butter, or melt large amounts of cheese on the stuff always won out.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 22:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Well, what can you expect from someone named Zuckerbrot? It means "Sugerbread" in German. LOL
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ummmm...the style of writing and "experts" rolled out for quotes, sound suspiciously similar to an article Demi recently posted from the UK's Daily Mail. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459779
And on the weekend Fed-up opened. Never underestimate the PR power of the wheat and sugar lobby.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 06:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm seeing more and more ads and articles seemingly pushing breads. I think its pushback for all that is coming out now including the Fed Up film.

I saw this article and just shook my head at it.
I also saw a new ad by Subway, showing how great their freshly made breads are, noting in it that they do not contain trans fats or HFCS.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 09:55

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I saw that ad for Subway also.
I had no heard of "Fed Up" but I'm about to watch the trailer on YouTube.

The article was so disappointing! I LOVE Yahoo!, but when they posted this article on their home page, it made me realize that they just post whatever articles they want to. This article goes against everything I've learned in the last 9 months!! It made me feel like Yahoo! really let me down!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 12:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
I saw that ad for Subway also.
I had no heard of "Fed Up" but I'm about to watch the trailer on YouTube.

The article was so disappointing! I LOVE Yahoo!, but when they posted this article on their home page, it made me realize that they just post whatever articles they want to. This article goes against everything I've learned in the last 9 months!! It made me feel like Yahoo! really let me down!!

Dont worry about it - theres so much controversy and propaganda around, its hard to know anything. It infuriates me cos if I'd known about low carbing and how safe and easy it was, I'd have tried it years ago - instead of spending most of my adult life overweight, unhappy and in pain from carb related issues, cos so called "experts" said it was dangerous and bad!!!

Jo xxx
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 13:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default 6 bad carbs that are actually good for you

Here's another one from Yahoo:
6 'bad' carbs that are actually good for you

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-liv...-152100770.html

Quote:
Thanks to popular low-carb diets, these carb-heavy healthy foods have been unfairly blacklisted. But there's no need to be scared of spuds or ban bananas. We're setting the record straight-dig in guilt-free!

Corn

Corn gets a bad rap because it's frequently found in packaged, processed food that can be void of nutrients. But real, straight-up corn is a healthy whole grain, points out Jessica Levinson, RD, a New York City-based nutritionist. "It's a good source of fiber, vitamin C, and the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which promote healthy vision," she says. Grill corn on the cob, heat up popcorn or top a salad with fresh kernels.

Bananas

It's bananas to think that nature's perfect portable snack could have ever gotten labeled as bad for you, just because of its carbs and sugar content. "The fruit is a good source of vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, and fiber," says Henderson. And when slightly unripe, bananas are also a good source of slimming resistant starch. Snack on them whole, pop them into smoothies, or even use them as a substitution for fats in baking.

Breakfast cereal

There's no need to shun a bowlful of flakes. Many cereals are made with whole grains these days, so they can be a healthy way to start your day. Just check the label: Look for a short ingredients list with whole grains at the top and at least 3 grams of fiber and no more than 10 grams of sugar per serving.

White potatoes
We know we're supposed to limit white bread, white rice and white pasta. Somehow potatoes got swept up in that ban, too. "White potatoes are actually very good for you," says Christian Henderson, RD, a New York City-based nutritionist. "They're a great source of potassium and vitamin C, and they have almost 4 grams of fiber with the skin on-15 percent of your recommended daily allowance." As an alternative to the classic sour cream-slathered baked potato, try cutting potatoes into cubes, tossing them with olive oil and rosemary, and roasting until crisp.

Sourdough Bread
You don't always have to pick whole wheat. Traditional sourdough is made through a process of fermentation, so it contains beneficial bacteria known as probiotics. "When these good bacteria are present in the bread-making process they help break down some of the gluten, so sourdough may actually be easier on gluten intolerant people than other gluten-containing breads," Henderson says. "They also lower your insulin response and make some nutrients more readily available for digestion."

Green peas
Sure, they're higher in carbs and sugar than non-starchy vegetables-they're even on some low carb diets' "foods to avoid" lists. "But peas are a great source of phytonutrients with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity," Henderson says. One in the spotlight is coumestrol, which has been shown to potentially protect against stomach cancer, Henderson adds. A cup of cooked green peas also boasts more than 7 grams of filling fiber. Eat them straight up or in soups or salads, or add dried peas to a trail mix.

There's plenty of reason to shun breakfast cereals and sourdough bread.
The others not as much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 14:15

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
What Are Carbs, Exactly?
They're nutrients that break down into glucose, your body's primary source of energy, and tons of foods contain them. "Carbs get a bad rap, but we need them to keep our brain working and our heart pumping," says Tanya Zuckerbrot, RD, the author of The Miracle Carb Diet.

Sorry Ms. Author, but my body's primary source of energy is FAT. My brain works by running predominantly on KETONES, and I've heard everyone's heart runs on SATURATED FATS for its preferred fuel. Not carbs.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 14:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Here's another one from Yahoo:
6 'bad' carbs that are actually good for you

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-liv...-152100770.html

There's plenty of reason to shun breakfast cereals and sourdough bread.
The others not as much.
Any food can be made to sound healthy, even sugar cane.