Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:25

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Merpig (what the heck does that username mean, anyway!), are you not doing the 6WC anymore?

Well, as I said over on the 6WC thread, I basically lost zippo during the shake weeks, but when I transitioned to the meat weeks the weight began to fall off (9 pounds during the first 2-week meat weeks).

And while I love the Eades I *do* think this book is poorly written from a standpoint of being able to understand exactly what sort of macronutrient ratio they expect you to eat. It was close to impossible to determine what they wanted you to eat in the way of carbs, so I just began ignoring most of the carbs and eating primarily just meat and eggs. And I felt pretty good on it, and continued to lose weight - over 20 pounds since I started the 6WC meat weeks.

And while I'm a major sweetoholic those shakes the first couple weeks just about did me in. So after the two meat weeks I was unable to even think of going back to shake weeks (especially since I'd lost basically nothing on the shakes, but a lot on the meat). I did switch in an occasional shake here and there when I didn't feel like cooking, but stuck mostly to the meat - and I like it and am still losing.

I'm not an ultra-hardcore ZCer, just a "mostly" ZCer. I'll eat occasional veggies if I'm eating in public or at someone's home. I don't preclude the idea of having a protein shake. I still enjoy one occasionally. But I do credit he 6WC with getting me here, in a funny roundabout way! Those shakes were just unpleasant enough after two weeks of them that I found I was seriously craving meat! So starting out on the 6WC made it easier for me.

As for my username? Well years back I owned a little tricolor sheltie named Merlin. I've owned many dogs over the years, but Merlin was really special to me. I just loved him passionately and he loved me too. But he had this funny habit of grunting whenever I would pick him up for some reason. I used to say to him, "Merlin, you sound just like a little piggie whever I pick you up". So I began using Piggie as one of my nicknames for him, and than somehow mutated into Merpig. So when I had to pick a screen name "Merpig" was just something that popped into my head. I still miss Merlin every day, though he died of cancer in 2005. And now Bran, the collie rescue dog a I adopted after Merlin died has got cancer also.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:51

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodg4kat
People already tell me I look ten years younger than I am...37 yo. I want people to say that when I am 47!

I get that now. I am 48 and many people have told me (once they find out my true age) that I look like I am in my early to mid thirties.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
From what I've read, sleep improves dramatically for a lot of ZCers. I did sleep longer last night than usual, so maybe I'm almost there. *fingers crossed*

I actually feel *refreshed* when I wake up from a sleep. It is a good feeling and I don't have to spend a half hour 'waking up' anymore. I can go, go, go right after I hit the bathroom.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller26
.But I do have some of the strangest dreams. I was singing lullabies to kittens the other night. lol

That is *nothing*. I would have preferred the kittens. I was about to have sex with an anime character from one of my son's anime books (he leaves them in the bathroom to read) the other night before I woke up.

I need to get a boyfriend *sigh*.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/165/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfit
That is *nothing*. I would have preferred the kittens. I was about to have sex with an anime character from one of my son's anime books (he leaves them in the bathroom to read) the other night before I woke up.

LMAO! And I thought me dreaming of alternate universes last week was nuts.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 14:50

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I make my own sausage (fresh breakfast sausage, no casings) because I can't handle mystery ingredients. I get ground pork from the butcher with extra fat mixed in, I make a spice mix in the blender, and then I mash them all up together and freeze it in patties. My kids go nuts for it, and it's one of my favorite foods.

Can you give us the recipe? How much extra fat per pound of meat? What spices in what amounts?

Pretty please?

And Merpig, thanks for the explanation! I'm very sorry to hear about both canine pals. So sad.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Fri, Dec-04-09 at 15:09.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 15:40

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller26
Quite the opposite, really. Because the fat is so satiating, I find it really hard to eat more than 1300 calories per day. An average day is between 1000-1200 if I'm tracking on Fitday. I'm simply not hungry!

I have a totally different experience. I love zc eating, but I am still hungry for my three meals a day, and sometimes I wish I could have a snack, but something else than meat. I still have cravings for booze (but I don't indulge) And I can eat butter by the spoonful. Calories must be too high, because I have not been losing weight for at least one month. I don't know what to do anymore. Help?
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 16:00

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Can you give us the recipe? How much extra fat per pound of meat? What spices in what amounts?

I usually get 6 pounds of ground pork, and they add whatever scraps of fat they have lying around - probably another pound or two. Before I found out they would grind the raw fat for me, I would add about a cup of lard or bacon fat to the ground pork at home.

I'm afraid I don't measure anything, but it's something like this:

Grind in the blender or coffee maker:
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon green peppercorns
2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
1-2 cloves

Add:
1 tablespoon sage
3 tablespoons sea salt

Optional:
2 tablespoons lemon juice, sauerkraut juice or kimchi juice

Mix well and form patties.

Sometimes I vary the spices. If you can handle nightshades you can use half a teaspoon of dried chili flakes instead of Szechuan peppercorns. You can add marjoram or thyme if you like. Sometimes I use allspice.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 17:26

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Merpig - congrats being on the cusp of 100lbs lost! That is SO awesome. You must be on cloud nine.

AND, thanks for the story about how the name came about.

I have a similar story about my black lab when she was a baby -total pig. Would eat anything. Even at 10 weeks old she dug under the fence to the neighbors and ate a FULL GROWN rotweiller's food right out of his bowl. She was SO FAT she couldn't get back through the hole she dug. I had to go over there and ring the doorbell. Talk about embarrassing.

Then, she was SO FAT after that I couldn't even bare to be around to watch her either explode, or throw up, so I left for two hours. Came home and she was fine and back to normal (wha?).

Anyway, even though her name was Sophie, I called her piggy, then (I was 18) she became such an eat-o-holic of all things edible and NOT edible, it turned to "f-ing piggy".

One day I couldn't get her name out fast enough and it came out "Fuggy". So for a long time after that she was just plain ol' fuggy.

Finally at 10 years old, she calmed down and got her REAL name back... amongst a trillion other nicknames, but still.

Back to ZC - for those of you using coconut oil and not liking the taste of it - you know they make refined coconut oil, right? Doesn't taste like anything. Oil is oil to me. UNrefined coconut oil is just plain gross. I don't like coconut at ALL.

Fauve - I had the same problem with eating as much as I wanted with protein and fat. Turns out the fat wasn't as satiating to me as most others. I can sit and eat an oil drum worth of bacon or other fatty meat and NEVER feel full.

Now, if I eat lean protein with a little bit of fat added, or just a leaner cut of beef with fat still in it, I can't eat a TON of it.

Protein is WAY MORE SATIATING to me than the fat is, so I've upped the protein and cut back on the fat.

That is NOT TO SAY that I'm doing "low fat" ZC - I still get around 100 grams of fat a day, I'm just saying that my food isn't swimming in it.

Like yesterday, I had a grilled chicken breast and 10 pieces of bacon. Ate the chicken breast first, then the bacon. Wasn't hungry for SEVEN HOURS.

If I would have eaten JUST BACON until I was "full", I could have eaten two pounds to myself and would have been hungry two hours later knowing damn well I just had about 2K cals.

Anyway, just tellin' *my* experience.

Y'all go on with your bad selves!
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 17:53

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 315/197/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfit

lol. I had another dream the other night that was bizarrely sexual (heavy emphasis on really, really bizarre) and I won't repeat for the fine folks here. But, yeah..I woke up and went "WTbleep was THAT all about?" I usually dream about TV characters and weird things. A sexual dream about David Boreanaz would be welcome. Even a bizarre one. lol. But this was just strange enough to give me the willies.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
I have a totally different experience. I love zc eating, but I am still hungry for my three meals a day, and sometimes I wish I could have a snack, but something else than meat. I still have cravings for booze (but I don't indulge) And I can eat butter by the spoonful. Calories must be too high, because I have not been losing weight for at least one month. I don't know what to do anymore. Help?

How long have you been doing this?

Maybe you need to up your protein a bit. Protein and fat kind of go hand-in-hand, I think, and will help you feel full and stay full. YMMV. And I find that Fitday is a very good way to see where your calories are at, keep track of your protein and fat to make sure you're hitting where you want to be, and to make sure that no hidden carbs are creeping into your diet. Each of us is different and our bodies react differently to different variables. Maybe give us a description of your average day's menu and we can help? (Like I'm an expert or something; I've only been doing this since Nov 2. lol)

I don't crave booze. But today I had 2 shots of Arak (like Sambuca, but no sugar). It was a &$!& of a day. But then I drank a ton of water right after. lol.

It's frustrating to stall. I'm at 218 and have been for the last 3 days. My loss so far has spoiled me into thinking that I should be losing 7 pounds per week, which isn't realistic. I know 2-3 pounds is healthy and better for maintaining the loss.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i was diagnosed manic depressed in 85.
diagnosed as bi polar in 2006.
on medication, on anxiety meds, tried everything for the PMDD.
was hospitalized in 2006 for breakdown.
been off meds since 2007.
have absolutely no mood swings, PMS symptoms, no suicidal thoughts, nothing..
life is good, everyday.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i was diagnosed manic depressed in 85.
diagnosed as bi polar in 2006.
on medication, on anxiety meds, tried everything for the PMDD.
was hospitalized in 2006 for breakdown.
been off meds since 2007.
have absolutely no mood swings, PMS symptoms, no suicidal thoughts, nothing..
life is good, everyday.

Hooray!!!!
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:53

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

wow, this is so interesting! Ghoulia and Mmiller, you both recommend increasing the protein. A while back, I did follow Dr. K's recommendations to lower protein and increase fat. Now that I follow a zero carb approach, I did not think of increasing the protein back again. This might be the problem, you are so right. I am very excited about this. Will correct right away. Thanks a million!

Lynne, this is awesome! So happy for you!
Debbie, well done! Congrats!
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:58

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Sure!

Yeah, I was on the high fat thread about 1.5 years ago and all it *DID* was make me fat-er. Tee hee!

For me, calories DO COUNT, so I count 'em... and eat more protein than fat cuz I know it'll keep me fuller longer.
Closed Thread