Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%
Unhappy I'm sick of it.

So I have been stalled for about a year. There have been small variations in there but I never get below a certain point. I started Met a few months ago and lost about 2 more pounds but that is it.

I am so sick of eating. I am so sick of sticking to the diet and not losing. I am taking Metformin ER at night to counterbalance the dawn effect. I took 1500 last night only to wake up to 144 fbg. So frustrating.

To top it all off I am only 44 and I keep thinking crap I have a long time to go.

AND my back is killing me today and I have a ton of house work to get my home ready to rent within the next few days. I could go on but I won't...

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 11:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Aw, sounds like a rough patch. I'm so sorry.

I have one bit of advice. Don't diet. Make this the way you eat from now on. Then you can stop being sick of dieting. My diet is very restrictive: No dairy, no grains, no nuts, no seeds, no chocolate (all hurt my gut). But I have adapted and enjoy eating delicious meals. Sometimes the food is so-so but I'm so adapted to it now that it is fine. I don't think I relished every high-carb thing I stuck in my mouth in my previous life. Sometimes food is just fuel, even the bad high carb stuff.

I don't feel deprived for the most part. When I do I whip up a batch of low carb lemon custard and eat some berries on it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Lemon custard??? Yum

lemon custard sounds like just the think to get me out of a funk. Can you please post the recipe.

I use the term diet loosely...short hand for what we do around here. I don't really desire to go back to the old way, just everything seems so boring after a while. And the imperativeness of it all...oh well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 12:12
Experimenter

BF:

What you should do is start going through the recipes people have collected. Look under the recipe forums. My "lemon curd" recipe is there under Sweet Treats. There's a sticky at the top of each sub-forum with a list of recipes nicely categorized.

Absolutely no reason to get bored with your food. Sounds like you just need to invest some time in gathering recipes and food ideas.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 12:26

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you tried adding exercise?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 13:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/190 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 22%

you have started a journey, Keep going the distance it is worth it. YES IT IS! Lean, Greatful, Happy Machine......

Last edited by geobuilder : Wed, Mar-04-09 at 13:58.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 16:25

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I stalled for about two years and THEN discovered my blood glucose was high. It was only after reading Bernstein and following it that I made goal.

However, I shouldn't really be posting as once I made goal I've started to eat corn chips "now and then" and carb food - because it was "homemade", etc -- now I'm 7 lbs heavier. Grrrrr.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 16:40

Plan: Low net carb
Stats: 274/265/160 Female 69
BF:TOO MUCH FOR NOW
Progress: 8%

Sorry for your hard times !!! Must be hard to stay with it.

I made sugarfree Creme Brulee with Black Berries and this has helped me out a few times.

8 large egg yolks
3 cups heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla
1/3 cup Splenda for baking

Cream yolks and splenda together with a mixer until lemon yellow and fluffy.
Add cream and vanilla
Stain into 8 ramakins
Place cups into a large baking dish
Fill the baking dish with water until it reaches 3/4 the way to the top of the ramakins
Bake at 300 degrees until, set about 30-40 minutes

Cool in refrigerator for at least 4 hours

You can top with a small amount of splenda brown sugar and broil until crisy if you desire... I find that I do not need to do this. It tastes great without it !

Top with black berries if desired.

Each serving, 1 yolk, 3 oz cream, 2 tsp splenda (well worth it!!!)

Hope this helps !!! Good luck to you and stick with it !!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 05:55

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well I have a way to go to weigh what I should.

I have refreshed my motives and I am now re-committing to a lifestyle change that will add years to my life.

I have stopped eating breads, wheat, sugar, bad fats, fried eggs now I do soft boiled eggs, etc.

I am kick starting my weight loss again.

It is working.

Soon I will be back to the 265 posted; right now I am 274.8.

If this stalls I am going to go for a medically assisted fasting diet temporarily to get the weight down further closer to the 210-230 range and then try and continue with a new lifestyle of eating and keep my weight down.

I am also walking one mile a day. As my weight comes down the walks will be easier and then I can up the walk to two miles a day.

Also, getting back to the gym.

I must exercise. In fact, everyone must exercise to succeed and gain real good control of their BG.

Oh yes, I have excellent control now, but I am taking 40 units in the am and 40 units in the PM of Levemir and I need 1 unit of Novolog per 6-7 carbs that I consume. This will be dramatically reduced as I lose weight. In fact, my need for Novolog of late has been reduced.

Ralph
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:41

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

My question to you would be....are you still doing the same thing expecting to lose? Or have you changed up your program in some way to see if doing something different will help? Our bodies constantly change. You don't have the same body that you did 1 year ago. It might be time to shake things up!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 08:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
My question to you would be....are you still doing the same thing expecting to lose? Or have you changed up your program in some way to see if doing something different will help? Our bodies constantly change. You don't have the same body that you did 1 year ago. It might be time to shake things up!

An excellent point Charran.

Mix it up and get it going.

The other point and I have to get it to sink into my head is that this is a lifestyle change; not a diet.

For me it is if I want to live I better get the weight off.

Ralph
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 23:26

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ralph, what medically assisted fasting are you checking out? I might like that, as fasting is rather easy for me. Thanks in advance for your answer.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 08:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
Ralph, what medically assisted fasting are you checking out? I might like that, as fasting is rather easy for me. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Sherri,

I have participated in medically assisted fasting in the past.

Essentially what happens is you go on a liquid diet.

There are shakes that provide about 800 calories a day with all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that your body needs as well as plenty of protein and some carbs.

It has been awhile since I have done this.

I do get success with the drop in weight.

This time I must do it and succeed or else.

The shake that was used was HMR shakes.

http://www.ihmonline.com/products_s...800_middle.aspx

You go on pure liquid shake program for as long as required to reach your desired weight.

You are monitored by a monitored by a medical staff to assure that you are not creating any deficiencies in your body and if so they correct them. They monitor your weight loss, BP, blood tests monthly, etc.,

They also provide a counseling session weekly and support group.

I know that my hospital nearby offers such a plan. The shake is part of the program but not the entire program.

All kinds of things improve, your weight drop, your BP drops, your cholesterol drops, etc., etc.,

Ralph
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 08:56

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Shake packet:

160 calories (chocolate) = 5 per day = 800 calories

18 packets per $38.50 order = $2.14 each packet = $10.69 per day

$10.69 daily X 30 days = $320.83 per month

----------------------------------------------------------

For two people, that is $641.67

------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds affordable and doable. I think if someone understands this is a drastic measure (as seen by most people) and it is to be used to get to goal quickly, but after that, you still have to undergo changing what you've been doing now.

If doing this for an extended period, I'd supplement to maintain muscle mass and I'd get a lot of rest and not do stenuous exercise during this fasting period.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 10:04
Experimenter

BF:

My Dad did that fast, lots a lot, immediately gained it back.