Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 07:41
Blood,Sweat and Pain

Plan: My Own Home Grown
Stats: 231/153/160 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 110%
Question Diabetes, LC and Exercise

Hi all,

Got a question re: Low Carb and Exercise.

I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic in July 2004, I dumped some weight and now I'm managing it on diet and exercise alone. I currently run about 5km a day in the morning and walk 5km at night. I'm thinking of doing the London Nike 10K run next year and possibly do the NY marathon with a friend. The problem is that being a Type 2 Diabetic and low carber I can't carb up in preparation for a long run. Does anyone have any tips or experience on how to successfully run these races without ending up in an ambulance?

Cheers

-Action Jack

Last edited by actionjack : Mon, Dec-06-04 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 15:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jack, you might want to check in the excercise forums for some tips. I know that there are at least a few who run marathons on low carb without a carb up and they may be able to give you some advice from their experiences.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 16:40
Blood,Sweat and Pain

BF:
Wink

Cheers for the pointer Lisa, I found a few tips from past posts.

-Action Jack
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 11:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 128/115/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress:
Default Excercise, lc and diabetes

I have a similar situation - I'm trying to run about 3 miles/day and working up to doing some runs this summer. I avoid heavy fat foods before runs, like cheese and meat, and opt for low carb soups or veggies. I eat about an hour before I start my workout to avoid muscle cramps and to hit my workout about the same time my bs peaks (typically 1:20 min after eating). I have worked out heavy on an empty stomach before though, and suprisingly never had any problems. What does happen though, is about 4 hours after beginning my workout, bs DOES drop, so I make sure to eat a few more good carbs than usually about three hours after I start my workout. I've heard that during very long runs, people avoid this by using carb gels to get them through. Hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 19:07
Blood,Sweat and Pain

BF:

Interesting I don't eat before running (I tend to run first thing in the mornings on an empty stomach) and have upped my daily run to 6 km's a day and I haven't had a muscle cramp in months (funily enough when I used to do judo years ago I was plagued with Muscle cramps). If my BS is a bit low (i.e. < 4.0) I grab about 50g of juice or a chunk of chocolate.