Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default How often?

Should I lift weights 2x or 3x a week? I was trying for 3x, but the one time I managed it, I didn't feel like I'd completely recovered. I couldn't do as many reps. But then I started wondering if 2x was enough to gain strength.

I'm currently going for 3x 12 reps (or trying for it).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 10:43

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Depends on how hard you're going each time. 2x per week if you're going to 100% muscle recruitment (others call this going to failure), 3x times per week if you're leaving something in the tank as they say, each time.

Mistress Krista who has a bunch of topics on beginning weight training for women, says

Quote:
Allow yourself plenty of recovery time. Rest at least a couple of minutes between weight sets. Rest at least a day between weight workouts. And get enough sleep. The older we get, the less recovery capacity our bodies have, though this improves somewhat with training. Don’t train to failure. In fact, more frequent and less intense training is better than less frequent, more intense training for optimizing recovery. - See more at: http://www.stumptuous.com/old-broad...h.XbvEhO2w.dpuf

http://www.stumptuous.com/old-broad...of-pumping-iron
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 11:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Should I lift weights 2x or 3x a week? I was trying for 3x, but the one time I managed it, I didn't feel like I'd completely recovered. I couldn't do as many reps. But then I started wondering if 2x was enough to gain strength.

I'm currently going for 3x 12 reps (or trying for it).

Same with me. Now that I've worked up to the max weight I can do and 3x 12 reps - I ended up pooping out the next session and not getting all 12 in. It must be age, because lifting every other day was perfectly doable in my teens & 20's. I'm going to try lifting every 3rd day -- which would average 2.5 times a week. That should be enough recovery time. I guess we'll see.

I'm into my 2nd month of this routine and I can already feel the benefits. It is definitely firming me up in places that were too soft and flabby not long ago. When I lose some more weight, I may even be able to see the benefits, too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 11:32
Experimenter

BF:

Oddly enough, even though I don't exercise my hands intentionally, my weight training is making it easier for me to take off lids. LOL! That's the first thing I've noticed.

I gotta check out the Old Broad's site!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Oct-14-14 at 13:07.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 12:49

BF:

Yes she is so fun!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 13:18

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just checking in on the Exercise thread! I see familiar "faces."

I enjoyed the Old Broad page. Yes, I'm one, too. You can see my lifting pix by clicking on the Gallery button below. That's me in 2011 at 61. I'm aiming to be that woman again.

However, I'm not doing gym workouts these days, so it may take a while. In my new house, I have a little space and less equipment. But I think lighter weights and reps can accomplish a lot. The main thing is...ta-da...doing it!

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 14:14
Experimenter

BF:

Is there anything wrong with doing legs and arms/chest all on the same day? I talk to some people and they've got it split up for some reason.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 15:05

BF:

Nope, nothing wrong with full-body workouts. The Slow Burn and Super Slow people advocate that. You need more rest between sessions that way though, because the more muscles worked, the more recovery is needed.

You'd have to ask the split people why they split it up. I seem to remember one reason is so they can work out more, and more often, because they *like* it (shudder) . On the theory that while one half is resting, the other half can be working.

Just because muscles can rest and work separately doesn't mean that other whole-body systems can. Like the immune system and CNS however. I don't know all the ins and outs.

It's just different ideas and what works for people. You can pick what you like and find others who agree with that, pretty much.

Krista Scott - Dixon used to have a beginner's program that included doing the whole body each time. Maybe she still does.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 15:08
Experimenter

BF:

Okay, good to know. It takes a long time, but then I can go less often that way. Thanks Seejay!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 16:52

BF:

You're welcome! And you got me curious enough to go look again. Here's what she says about the split workouts. She says beginners should go whole-body, interesting.

Quote:
exercise choices and the workout split

Many weightlifters work on a split routine or cycle. For the reasons why they do this, see my page on rest and periodization. They may break the workouts up by:

bodyparts: e.g. one day upper body, one day lower body
lift type: e.g. pushing versus pulling exercises
intensity and loading: heavy, medium, and light
skill focus: strength, speed, agility, etc.

Essentially, splitting the workout up allows you to focus on different things, while optimizing recovery potential.

However, while beginners should usually start with a full body workout, it is a myth that experienced trainees must always use a split based on bodyparts. It can be quite effective to perform a full body workout (or approximately a full body workout) each time, as long as the amount of work performed is carefully controlled. Indeed, no matter how experienced a gym rat you are, you can do a full-body routine at each and every workout without overtraining. The key is in the application: you don’t go all out each time, and you don’t do three billion exercises. For an example of an effective full-body routine, check out my workout pages.
- See more at: http://www.stumptuous.com/basics-of...h.vLqU5UvC.dpuf
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 17:59

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

As I get back into my strength training routine, I'm going for 3x week. However, the workouts I'm using at home via video are not what you'd call heavy lifting.

Workout one: Jari Love Ripped. I use my 15 lb bodybar, a padded barbell, with no weights at the ends. It distributes the weight across the whole length of the bar, so in effect you get a lot of help with, say, bicep curls. It's a nice type of weight equipment though--easy on the shoulders for squats. As I get stronger, I can add wrist weights. This is a total body workout in about an hour. You determine your own challenge by adding weight or reps.

Workout Two: Ellen Barrett Slim Sculpt Express. This is a real quickie! Constant movement with light hand weights (I'm using 3s, which is plenty!) for about 30 minutes. I love this because it is energizing and not intimidating to start. Lifts heart rate throughout. I have another Ellen Barrett "fusion" workout that's longer, with a similar philosophy. It sounds "easy" but it's not.

One or the other of these workouts 3 days. Brisk walking 3-4.

When I get my workout space, I may eventually go for some heavier work. But not necessarily. The only good workout is the one you actually do.