Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 01:04

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default I'll get results today...

I had my thyroid nodule scanned, and will get all my lab results tomorrow. I am scared and can't sleep at all!!! Seems my goiter was 2 x 3.1 centimeters. It looked black on the screen. I'll post here this weekend. Maybe I won't be hearing anything bad.

Many thanks to all of you here. You have really helped me through a difficult time coping with a diagnosis of yet another autoimmune disorder.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 23:30

BF:

Not the best but not the worst. Seems I have multi-nodular goiter. The largest one is 2 x 3.1 cm and appears to be a fluid filled cyst on the ultrasound, but the other small ones behind it are of more concern. They want to biopsy or drain the largest fluid cyst but will wait 6 more weeks to see if it is going to go down on its own. I think the synthroid is helping, but that may be wishful thinking.

The second bit of news is that my reactive hypoglycemia is now more of an issue and my endo wants to put me on Metformin. I tried it Friday, but had horrible stomach pain, diarreah, was headachey, and had hypoglycemia symptoms. It was really bad!I guess I need to post in a different forum about the Metformin. I have read it wil help me lose weight (which I have been trying to do since January with very little success) so I certainly like the idea of that but I can't bear the thought of feeling like that for several weeks.

Any advice on either of these issues will be greatly appreciated.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Definitely post about Metformin in the diabetic section, those folks deal with that stuff all the time, they can give you some guidance.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 15:14
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
are you seeing an endocrinologist for both of these issues? I am not a doctor but wonder if they are related- and your trouble losing weight? I know it is scary, but you are doing a good job trying to be your own patient advocate! The more you learn the better for you!
Does DUke or UNC have a clinic where you live? Would you go to Durham or Chapel Hill for a second opinion?
Hang in there!
E
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 16:30

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

When you do a google search of weight loss drugs Metformin pops up.
I personally have PCOS and many of its associated symptoms, so while I'm not technically diabetic my doctor gave me the Metformin to help with the symptoms. Couple of years ago my doc took me off the Met. my weight loss stalled big time and I was very frustrated. Saw the endocrinologist again and she had me restart the Met. I'm happy to report that weight loss again resumed.

There is a thread I think in the PCOS forum where they really bash Met for weight loss and call it all kinds of dangerous etc. I just shake my head.

Met is a pretty safe drug. It doesn't cause you to have low blood sugars. If you are insulin resistant I think it greatly helps.

Sorry to hear that you had side effects from the first dose. Unfortunately many people have those same issues when they start the Met. My doc had me start with a really low dose and gradually increase it. I personally have a cast iron stomach, but the pharmacist suggested eating 1/2 of my meal, then taking my Met, then finishing the rest of my meal to help with any stomach issues I might get.

The good news is that if people stick with the Met those awful side effects, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea usually resolve.
Barb
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 01:52

BF:

Thanks all!

To Nancylc - I will post on the other forum soon. I am dealing with my daughter's current flare up of colitis for the third time this year. Man, I can't seem to catch a break!

Enomarb - yes I am under an endocrinologists care as I have quite a few autoimmune problems that have surfaced now. Duke or UNC is about 4 hours from me but I'd definitely drive there if I didn't feel I was getting the care I needed. My endo is a friend of ours so I feel very fortunate to have gotten the multiple diagnostic tests and results as quickly as I have.

Camaromom - you have really inspired me to give the Metformin a really good try. Today, I got the dosage lowered and will try what you said about sandwiching the dose during a meal. I am jealous of your cast iron stomach!!! I wonder if the two beers might have interacted with it. I won't give those up on the weekends so I'll have to figure this out!

Again - thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
To Nancylc - I will post on the other forum soon. I am dealing with my daughter's current flare up of colitis for the third time this year. Man, I can't seem to catch a break!

Have you tried a gluten free diet for her?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 17:08

BF:

Not yet. She''l see an internist on May 5th, and then a gastroenterologist on June 18th. Her cat scans show her small intestine is very inflamed and they want to do a colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. I am not very familiar with colitis and what causes it. I am googling it now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I asked my endo (in reference to myself) about Celiacs and he said lots of diarrea and weight loss. That doesn't fit me. My daughter only has diarrea when she gets a flare up. They have treated as a bacterial infection in the past but since this has happened 3 times in the past year, they are going to look at other causes. It is severe enough that she has to stay in the hospital for several days and have nothing by mouth.