Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 06:19

Plan: no/low carb
Stats: 197.5/189/164 Male 6'1"
BF:19/18/12
Progress: 25%
Default Heart rate question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png

So, according to the above pic, fat burning happens in the 60-70% MHR range. RIght now I can sustain 80-85% MHR for 30mins+ If I follow the chart, should I be lowering my heart rate during my workouts from ~85% into the 60-70% range to lose fat better/faster? I don't get it, I was brought up to think higher heart rate = faster fat loss ((shrugs))

Matt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 09:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 272/245/240 Male 80 inches
BF:25%/16%/10%
Progress: 84%

Do a google search for fat burning zone myth. The stuff I've read says that the fat burning zone is a myth. Really, the more calories you burn, the more fat you will lose. The higher your heart rate the more calories you will burn.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 10:54

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Everything I've read recently has said to lower the heart rate from the 80-85% max and sustain the slightly lower rate for a longer period of time. That works for me. I maintain at about 70% for 60+ minutes at a time on the treadmill.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 11:18

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

The problem is that moderate activity for longer periods of time teaches your body to conserve its energy (fat), much like trying to lose weight with calorie reduction causes your body to hold onto its reserves (fat). Fat burning zone is a myth. Go harder, for shorter periods of time, even if you do 30 seconds of maximum exertion, with 30 seconds of rest for 10 cycles, that's far superior to doing 10 minutes of droning treadmill deathmarch.

Or, put another way, who looks fitter to you, a marathoner or a sprinter? One has muscle tone and looks lean and strong. One looks like a concentration camp survivor. What kind of physique you want is up to you.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 13:12

Plan: no/low carb
Stats: 197.5/189/164 Male 6'1"
BF:19/18/12
Progress: 25%

Thanks for the replies. I did a google search as was suggested and got the scoop.. Essentially lower intensities, 60-70%, will use a higher percentage of fat for fuel than at higher intensities. However, at higher intensities the overall fat calories burned is higher. THe site I was on suggested you can do an hour of 60-70%, or 30mins of 80%+

Matt