Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 08:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Has anyone tried doing a cleanse!

I've read that doing a cleanse detoxifies the body so that the body, especially the liver and the GI system, work at it's peak performance. I want to know if anyone tried it before and if they found some great results. I'm hypothesizing that a cleanse would release alot of the bad toxins as well as some extra carbs stored so that perhaps I would get rid of the cravings. This could be just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm willing to try anything.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 09:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you talking about a water cleanse or store bought chemicles?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 11:10

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I have an appt with ND (in 2 wks) for a liver cleanse, but as she put it, it will also be healing and supportive, more so than milk thistle even, which I take. She'll explain more when I go to get started. The only thing I know about it right now is that nutrients I'll need will be supplied in a drink, I'll be taking psillium husks and clay, and the second week of the 3 weeks I'll be taking in no protein. Otherwise, she said normal food. I'll let you know more when I find out, how's that? --Gail
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 11:20
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I was given a bottle of colon cleanse and was going to try it my last ten pounds. Have you ever tried that? I already take PH 3 times a day from GNC.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:14

Stats: 119/116/104 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 20%

My mom in law was suggesting I try a colon cleanser that she's doing but I'm hesitating because I don't really see the need for one. I feel I'm very healthy and have been for the last few years (except for those dang M&M's!). I drink and eat natural foods and I really don't see why I'd do it other than to lose a couple more lbs. But if me needing to lose a couple more lbs, then I'd rather do it the old fashion way - workout and review my eating habits. Also, I truly believe you can accomplish detoxifiying your body (if that's what you're trying to achieve) by doing a fast once a month for two consecutive days. (I prefer weekends when I can stay home and lounge cause you'll be very tired and cranky.) I know it's easier said than done but I've done it a couple times and it's very rejuvenating.
Ultimately, it is a personal decision. Let us know if you decide to do a cleanser.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 16:36

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are you craving, and why?

Suspect there are other reasons, perhaps a little closer to the surface, for cravings, but there's nothing in your post to suggest what those reasons might be.

I take silymarin and NAC as liver support because I have a pretty steep environmental exposure to real, documented "toxins."* Agreed that there are plenty of problems with our food chain but as noted above, clean living and attention to intake cover a lot of ground.

Water and a high fiber diet have a lot to recommend them. If you're not already taking silymarin and/or NAC, you might want to do some research about how they work and see if they might be useful in your world.

Benzene, toluene, gasoline, formaldehyde.