Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 00:00

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%
Default Favorite Restaurants for LC?

I'm curious as to where your favorite places are to eat and what you order. I'm always looking for new ideas to keep things fresh while out and about.

My new favorite is HuHot Mongolian Grill. What's yours?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 12:32

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

We don't go out often (maybe 6-7 times a year) but when we do I almost always have steak. Living in the middle of nowhere, the options aren't always great, so beef is usually a sure bet.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 12:57
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

I am pretty boring when it comes to eating out. I'll stick with the salads, steak or chicken most places. I do like Ruby Tuesday's a lot. I will get the three veggie plate (with spaghetti squash and double zuccuni) and the salad bar. (A lot of people rave about their mashed cauliflower and it IS good but at 14 TC/11 NC it is way too carby for me to consume as a side item. Plus most of the carbs in that dish are coming from milk.)

I've tried going to Mexican restaurants with intentions of getting fajitas without the tortillas, rice and beans but I ALWAYS end up diving head first into the basket of chips that I can't deprive my boys of. Needless to say that is off of the list of choices when we eat out now....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 301/275/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Lightbulb

I've recently become a fan of Applebee's. It's my cousin's favorite lunch to split because of the 2-for-20 deal. She orders mazzeralla sticks and I will share them by removing the breading (which is surprisingly easy and effective). Then I either order the steak with double veggies - often broccoli with cheese & sour cream - or the bacon cheeseburger with mixed veggies or salad. It's fairly simple but inexpensive and tasty.

I also really love 5 Guys Burger's & Fries for a quick and very very tasty bunless burger. They are very accomidating by giving me the burger in a small tin which I can devour there or take out.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 18:29
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Ruby Tuesday!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 03:04

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i live in a mid sized town, so i find that i eat at applebee's a lot. i usually order hot wings.

i've never been to ruby tuesday's and we don't have one here, but we do in a city nearby. i'll have to try it sometime.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 15:47

Plan: Atkins variations
Stats: 168/143/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Any restaurant where you can order a la carte is great. Otherwise, that steak and salad comes with a (delicious) baked potato!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 19:45

Stats: 203/162/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:too high
Progress: 77%

In & Out Buger, I AlwaYS Order The Double Double Protein Style....
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 21:48

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 193/179.4/145 Female 66in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Jimmy John's "Unwich" (sub sandwich sans the bun, neatly wrapped in lettuce)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 15:09
Registered Member

Stats: 274/225/200 Male 73 Inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Just about anyplace will omit the starch for double the veg on request. You can put extra butter on top of the veg to up the fat content.

The only places I avoid are generally Italian restaurants. I love pasta so very much. It's tempting. Though a good alternative there is an antipasto salad minus the croutons.

Chinese all-you-can-eat buffets are surprisingly good for me. I stick to the chicken skewers and various other proteins that don't look too sauced up (that can get tricky). One near my house also offers Mongolian BBQ, which can be a perfect Atkins meal if you avoid the noodles and starchy veg. It's also good because I usually have my 5-yr-old with me, and he can get tasty things he enjoys (including ice cream).

My favorite standby is the "make your own slam" at Denny's. You can get 4 fried eggs, and a side of sausage and bacon for like $5.99 at any hour of the day.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 21:58

Stats: 241/212/160 Female 5 ft.
BF:
Progress: 36%

We like Texas Roadhouse. Any steak with a house salad and vegetables! Delish. They also have chicken dishes.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 22:13

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

I can honestly say I have never been to a restaurant that I can't find anything that fits an atkins induction. The key is being assertive enough to explain exactly what you do, and don't, want on your plate.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 15:09

Stats: 241/212/160 Female 5 ft.
BF:
Progress: 36%

lc4good, I have the same experiences with eating out. Eating low carb is probably the easiest diet to stick to. So many good things we can eat.
It's funny at times when you tell a waitress you want to avoid the potatoes because you are eating low carb. So they offer rice or pasta!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 15:13

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I've noticed Ruby Tuesday's new menu choices include a lot of low carb options. Like grilled zuchinni, or aspargus. Mashed cauliflower (this is the first restaurant where I've seen mashed cauliflower served as a side!), and spaghetti squash. They have an awesome salad bar and lots of low carb steak, chicken and fish options.

I wonder if their executive chef is into low carb?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 16:40

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I agree that I can eat lc just about anywhere with few exceptions - including our favorite local Chinese buffet and Mexican restaurants.

The places I frequent the most are Carl's Jr. for the lettuce wrapped burgers and Freebirds (or Chipotle, though I like it less) for steak salads.

askwhy ~ I'm at a point now where I can actually have a few corn tortilla chips now and then, but up until very recently I would <always> take a ziploc baggie full of pork rinds in my purse any time I knew I was going to a Mex. restaurant. The tortilla chips are pretty bland and mainly a vehicle for the delicious salsa anyway, and pork rinds mimic that very well. I have never had anyone complain or even give me funny looks and it allowed me to participate in that Mexican food ritual.

I checked out the Ruby Tuesday menu since so many mentioned it. WOW. Looks really good! Wish there was one closer to us!