Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: CALP, now Schwarzbein
Stats: 203/143/143 Female 160 cm
BF:56%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%
Question Transition Symptoms

Hi everybody!
It's Barbara, remember me? I'm the one who switched from CALP to TSP after reaching goal on CALP. I'm sorry I haven't been more activ and want to thank everybody who replied to my initial post.

The last two months I've slowly tried to incorporate Schwarzbeins recommendations about food into my eating plan and also am tapering down on cardio exercise because I did too much (4 hrs running per week).

I always have been doing weight training (since 1988) and still do, so that is a big bonus. I also never ever ate artificial sweeteners, or drank lots of alcohol and gave up smoking at age 30 (22 years ago). I don't eat food additives, everything is natural, I only drink water or green tea and I don't take any
OTC medication except if I get a headache that is simply unbearable. I take bioidentical HRT because I'm in menopause.

I have been rotating my proteins for a long time, so many of the guidelines from TSP have been in my eating program long before I officially switched over.

Hey, you might wonder now, where's the problem? Well, the problem is, I'm going through a myriad of symptoms now that I'm slowly going up with my carbs (very carefully, I'm not fully on my target count yet).

I don't have any carbo cravings, I enjoy what I eat and even have a hard
time upping my carbs because I love my non-starchy veggies a lot and eat lots of them.

But my problem now is, on some days I feel absolutely great,
on other days though I'm downright exhausted. And then my body hurts in different places, sometimes my shoulder, now it's my left hand, then my
back, etc. etc. I can't run like I used to anymore (and don't want to
because of my former over-exersizing), I sometimes get depressive for a
short while and then I'm euphoric the next minute.

I suspect I may have burnt out adrenals, my hormones have been a problem since age 16 , I dieted all my life and finally now at age 52 am re-learning to eat properly and give my body what it needs (I also have been bulimic for 30 years).

My question now is, has anybody experienced similar symptoms when you went through your transition or aren't these transition symptoms? I suspect they are and really really hope I'm on my way to finally feeling good all the time.

If you had similar (or other symptoms) how long did it take until you felt
better all the time?

----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW here is a typical day on my current eating plan:
breakfast:
2-3 cups raw veggies (daikon, peppers, sprouts)
1 hb egg with mayo
3.5 ozs. canned fish (mackerel fillet, salmon, sardines or tuna)
2 slices German black bread or whole grain bread with butter and lox or
cheese
green tea

Snack on workout days (eaten at the gym):
1 tbsp. pine seeds, 0.5 tbsp. pumpkin seeds, 2 macadamias
Amino acid supplements

Lunch:
1/2 cucumber
8 ozs. fish or fowl (turkey, chicken, salmon, pork once a week)
olive oil
3 cups cooked nonstarchy veggies with some starchy
veggies (like leeks, carrots etc.)
approx. 3 ozs. legumes (cooked amount)
0.5 ozs. goat cheese
1/4 apple
green tea

Afternoon snack:
green tea or 1 cup of decaf with cream
5 cherry tomatoes
2 ozs cottage cheese
1 rice cracker or corn/rice cracker
1/4 apple

Evening meal:
3.5 ozs. turkey breast meat, chicken breast or pork fillet
1 tsp. mayo
250g (1.5 cups?) kohlrabi
4 rice cracker or corn/rice cracker with cream cheese (goat or regular
organic)
sometimes 1/4 apple
----------------------------------------------------

Sorry this is so long, I would appreciate any feedback on my questions and
of course also on my current eating plan and I promise to get a bit more active on the board, normally I'm a very chatty person.

Barbara
P.S. perhaps this isn't the transition and I'm just getting old, LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Welcome back!

Hi Barbara,

Wow - your eating plan is great (wish mine was that good ).

You mentioned you have pain that moves to different parts of your body. Is that primarily muscle pain or joint pain?

-Don
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 13:17

Stats: 172/157/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Barbara,

Nice to see you back... this forum has been very quiet so it's great to hear another voice.

Though it sounds like you're doing alot of things quite right, you mentioned you have been bulimic... are you still? That could certainly cause a disruption in your hormone levels resulting in many of your uncomfortable symptoms. If you are no longer bulimic, it could just be your hormones levels adjusting. I am 57 and in menopause though I only take thyroid meds but I suffered from all of your symptoms prior to going on Synthroid. Maybe you should see your endocrinologist and have your various hormonal levels checked again, perhaps something is out of whack. It just sounds so much like what I had been going through with hypothyroidism.

Have you read Dr. S's latest book, The Program? I found it very useful when I was going through the transition, especially the section on the Healing Program.

Good luck,
Di
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 09:08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerGuy
Hi Barbara,

Wow - your eating plan is great (wish mine was that good ).

You mentioned you have pain that moves to different parts of your body. Is that primarily muscle pain or joint pain?

-Don

Mostly muscle pain. It seems to me like my body is changing, although the scale stays the same I seem to change in shape (for the better I hope).

Barbara
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 09:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykeen
Though it sounds like you're doing alot of things quite right, you mentioned you have been bulimic... are you still?
Di

No, not really. I have been (almost) without symptoms for the last 5 years, there have been 3 episodes this year when I was extremely stressed and hormonal, but they were nothing compared to what I did when I was young (not that I'm old now, just wiser, LOL). That was also the time when I decided to go off CALP because I wasn't satisfied with what I was doing anymore at all and that contributed to the flare up of the bulimia too IMO. Schwarzbein is so much more "normal" and it really feels good, for me it seems like the answer I have been searching for all my life.

Quote:
That could certainly cause a disruption in your hormone levels resulting in many of your uncomfortable symptoms. If you are no longer bulimic, it could just be your hormones levels adjusting.
Di

I really hope so, I'm also very weather sensitive and we have had a lot of ups and downs in temps lately that might have contributed to my down feelings too. Normally I get a migraine when a low pressure system comes but lately I've just been feeling blah. Some progress I guess ;-)

Quote:
I am 57 and in menopause though I only take thyroid meds but I suffered from all of your symptoms prior to going on Synthroid. Maybe you should see your endocrinologist and have your various hormonal levels checked again, perhaps something is out of whack. It just sounds so much like what I had been going through with hypothyroidism.
Di

Well, my thyroid is another story. I've been treated with levothyroxin (T4) since 1981 but I never really felt better on it. My TSH was always very low on meds, my T4 normal, but my T3 was low too. I then got a combination of T3/T4 but that only made me nervous (and fat!). The last years I was back to just T4 and was taking up to 200mcg without feeling good, I still had constipation, felt cold very often etc.

After reading Schwarzbeins books I realized I may have adrenal gland burnout and/or a lifestyle based endocrine thyroid condition and so I've started lately tapering down on my thyroid meds and improving my eating esp. because I was not eating enough carbs.

When I was on 200 mcg Thyroxin my TSH was 0.001. T4 was 14.1, T3 was 1.2 then I went down to 150mcg Thyroxin and believe it or not, my TSH was 0.04 then, my T4 14.8 and my T3 1.4. This clearly shows me my thyroid is waking up and I jut don't need all these thyroid meds, I just have to eat better and make my own gland work again.

I have now gone down to 125mcg thyroxin and will get retested in September, I'm already very curious.

Quote:
Have you read Dr. S's latest book, The Program? I found it very useful when I was going through the transition, especially the section on the Healing Program.
Di

Yes, I've read all of her books. Esp. the part in her newest book about T4 being converted to reverseT3 was interesting to me because that seems
to be exactly what is happening to me.

Anyway, thanks so much for your reply, it feels good being able to talk about all this with someone who knows what I'm talking about :-))

And sorry for the lengthy reply, I told you I was chatty, LOL (and German, so please excuse any mistakes!).

Barbara
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Aches and Pains

Hi Barbara,

Quote:
Mostly muscle pain. It seems to me like my body is changing, although the scale stays the same I seem to change in shape (for the better I hope).

Of course, none of us are getting any younger.

I asked about muscle vs. joint pain because they can come from different causes. If joint pain, you may have a sensitivity to something; Dr. S suggests in her latest book the avoidance of gluten as a starting point. (My naturopath was on a speaking tour with Dr S, and says he believes she's onto something there...) If I eat much bread and don't exercise much, my joints get stiff and they ache.

Muscle pain that moves around may be due to toxins that are being released as part of the cleansing process. Did the pains start soon after you started on TSB? Are you drinking lots of water, and getting some daily exercise?

Hope you're doing better! (From your replies, it sounds like it)

-Don

PS: I'm guessing that Bulemia can mess up your system for a great deal of time. If you went from Bulemia to any kind of nutrient-restrictive diet, it may take a good while to heal your system. But it also sounds like your body is telling you that you are now giving it exactly what it needs to heal - and that's a very good thing!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 07:16
Registered Member

Default re: aches and pains

Quote:
Of course, none of us are getting any younger.

Really? I thought I would be the exception

Quote:
I asked about muscle vs. joint pain because they can come from different causes. If joint pain, you may have a sensitivity to something; Dr. S suggests in her latest book the avoidance of gluten as a starting point. (My naturopath was on a speaking tour with Dr S, and says he believes she's onto something there...) If I eat much bread and don't exercise much, my joints get stiff and they ache.

I've done an elimination/rotation plan a long time and also have been tested for food allergies. Fortunately I'm not sensitive/allergic to any of the grains
or gluten in general and also not to dairy (wahoo!!!) But I have pollen allergies, now if I would eat birches, that would be another story ;-)) But thanks for the thought, I know I can't tolerate certain foods and stay away from them (e.g. I get a very bad taste in my mouth when I eat onions )

Quote:
Muscle pain that moves around may be due to toxins that are being released as part of the cleansing process. Did the pains start soon after you started on TSB? Are you drinking lots of water, and getting some daily exercise?

I've had this kind of pain before, but it started again when I switched to TSP, so I htink it's just my body readjusting to my slightly different eating.

I exercise 4 times a week (cardio and weight training) but am tapering down on cardio. Oh, and on Sundays DH and I go for a 1.5 hrs walk, but that is mostly fun, I don't count that as exercise. Oh, and I drink at least 4 liters of water a day.

Quote:
Hope you're doing better! (From your replies, it sounds like it)

Yup, thanks! I also have been very nervous when I switched over to TSP because I feared to gain weight. I did gain a little (3-4 lbs) but now it seems to stabilize. My measurements haven't changed and so I assume it's just muscle and bones (I'm rather muscular due to the weight training I've been doing for almost 20 years). Now that my weight seems to be stable, I'm getting more calm and confident. I know my body, when I calm down, it also doesn't hurt so much anymore, sometimes I just think too much, LOL.

Quote:
PS: I'm guessing that Bulemia can mess up your system for a great deal of time. If you went from Bulemia to any kind of nutrient-restrictive diet, it may take a good while to heal your system. But it also sounds like your body is telling you that you are now giving it exactly what it needs to heal - and that's a very good thing!

Yes, it really feels like it! Fortunately I have eaten a lot of protein, vegetables and good fats on CALP also so that I wasn't starved or malnourished when I switched over to TSP, I just ate too little carbs and correcting this makes me feel so much better and stable, it's a true miracle.

Thanks, Don! I really appreciate your thoughts!!

Barbara

Last edited by bnb4us : Sat, Jul-01-06 at 07:19. Reason: typo
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 11:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

People who have birch pollen allergy also may react to the peel of apples - did you eat the peel? And from http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/14.html

“Patients allergic to birch pollen may have symptoms after eating raw potatoes, carrots, celery, apples, hazelnuts and kiwi. Cross-reactivity between birch pollen and various fruits and vegetables is due to homology among various pathogenesis-related proteins, which are important in the defence against plant diseases. For example Mal d 1, the major apple allergen, is 63% homologous to the major birch pollen allergen, Bet v 1. Oral allergy syndrome (OAS) has been described among several fruits in the Prunoideae subfamily (peach, apricot, cherry, and plum) and Brazil nuts. Patients with OAS generally can eat these foods in the cooked form without difficulty.”

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jul-01-06 at 12:00.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-06, 01:32
Registered Member

Default allergy birches/apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
People who have birch pollen allergy also may react to the peel of apples - did you eat the peel?

Yes, I did. Thanks for the info, I will peel it next time! Now I know why I sometimes sneeze after I have eaten (and always when an apple was involved). Man I love apples, but if it's only the peel, I can live with it. I buy them organic of course but that doesn't seem to matter.