Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-13, 16:58

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Writing a book

Hello Everyone!

So I've decided that I'm going to try and write a book about the "less than pretty" side of weight loss. I personally faced many issues during the bulk of my loss that I am sure others here have too. And yet there is little to no information out there to help or even comfort people in these situations.

I'm thinking of the struggles and the unexpected shocks that come our way. The things we don't normally hear about weight loss. Some examples; losing hair, being unable to 'see' the loss, the sometimes negative reactions of others, the hard days when willpower just abandons you, feelings about clothes and changing sizes, vulnerability at a smaller weight, loose skin, etc. There are so many topics and so many people that experience them that it would be impossible to list them all here.

If you have a story, an issue you struggled with and/or overcame, words of advice, warnings or comforts for people losing weight, or any other topic that you think would be helpful to those who might need it please send me a private message.

I will keep everything anonymous and not use (screen)names. I will not use anything someone shares without permission. I can not make any promises about what will or will not be included in this book, if it ever gets published at all. I just want to try and get a resource out there for people who want to get healthy and find themselves facing problems that they didn't expect to encounter.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-13, 17:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What a great idea!

Be sure to include the things about sabotage that people post here.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 12:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

One thing that comes to mind are the issues one faces when they reach their goal. Not as painful, but has worse consequences, like gaining the weight back. Been there a couple of times
Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 18:02

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Agree Tamarian...
I have been to goal two times before. Losing was not the problem.
Maintaining was the problem. Sometimes, as we near goal we become euphoric. New clothes...feeling good...people noticing...complements. We can think we are invincible and start eating a little bit here and there that get us into cravings again. I justified eating wheat and grains because it was on the acceptable list for the highest rung on Atkins. Same with potatoes. Add some stress and life changes...voila! First it's just a 5 lb gain...then 10...and you know where this going.
We need to learn our triggers and create a strategy for dealing with those...substitutions, etc.
Some of us have learned the hard way...but hopefully we have learned. Also, I think from the very beginning we should have a double goal of the weight region we are aiming for and learning to eat this way forever.
Best to all.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 19:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Oh, good for you! So much of weight loss is the glamorized parts... not the reality.

If you need help self-publishing on Amazon or Nook (I have experience) do let me know!

Here's the book I have on Amazon, for instance:

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-911-Fixin...k/dp/B002E19MUW

I think it's so wonderful that you want to shine a light on this neglected part of weight loss!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 21:22

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Love2write, what an awesome idea!! People who have never tried to lose weight, or have been able to do it easily, don't get it. Unfortunately every diet book out there tells us it's a One Size Fits All thing, everyone can get the same results from the same thing... untrue!

And nobody realises that when you upset the apple cart by losing a lot of weight, people can get very mean about it. They just don't like change I guess. Losing weight is a great test of the integrity of people surrounding you.

Another huge emotional aspect of losing weight? LONELINESS. Feeling like you're on the fringe because nobody else is going through it. ESPECIALLY if the method that works for you happens to be something like Atkins or hcg - not only aren't many other people on that method, but when you tell people what you're doing, they will likely have a go at you for it.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done, and I have people in my life who will support me in anything I do. I can't imagine how much harder it would be with people heckling me from the sidelines the whole time!

Good luck to you, I really hope you publish this book.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 17:03

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Feel free to use this without worrying about privacy. My experience in the failure to maintain was three fold.
First, I was sick of thinking about what I ate, seemingly all the time. I never lost my taste for sweets. I might have if I had totally eschewed any sweet flavor in my food but I don't know if that would have worked and frankly, I don't see much merit or enjoyment in food that has absolutely no trace of the sensation that gives the most pleasure when eating. I wanted to be able to enjoy fruit or slightly sweetened cream cheese with no crust,etc. I didn't have to worry too much about it at home but my life at that time was lived mostly away from home. I wanted to just eat what presented itself that was in the palatable range.
Second, when you're losing weight, as has been previously noted, there is ongoing validation and success, giving motivation and encouragement. Then, when you hit goal, and you maintain for a month or two, that steady number on the scale starts to be anticlimactic. I never would have expected that to be the case but it was. I did get great satisfaction from my favorite outfit but vanity is a dangerous thing for me.
Third, it was so hard to add back carbs in a strategic way, that didn't eventually lead to overdoing it. Heck, I even had that problem when I was successful in WW in my twenties.

Of the three, the second one was my biggest problem. I got bored when I lost my all consuming crusade to lose weight. I could have taken up some other very worthy cause but if I had, I would have lost my focus on proper eating and gained it back, anyway. I don't know what I'm going to do, this time. I guess I'll start working on that when I get close or when I get a good idea, whichever comes first.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 16:22

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Thank you all for the great ideas. This book is a huge project, lol. So much to cover.

I appreciate all of the input.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-13, 11:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I have a slightly different perspective as I only had about 20 lbs to lose, and because I have a tiny frame, I "carried the extra weight well." What kept me LC was basically the "cure" to constant food obsession/junk food addiction, finally being thin *and* full/satisfied, being able to manage my depression without drugs, and just generally feeling awesome. Improvements to little issues like PMS and dandruff. Not to mention just being scared by the truth about a high-carb diet, and what would be in store for me if I continued my old ways: diabetes, maybe heart disease, and now arthritis it seems.

If you're interested in any topics from that perspective, feel free to hit me up with a PM.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 00:48

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

People can be really mean and hurtful. It's almost like your being smaller justifies their mistreatment of you. Smaller people don't have feelings -- I was treated more kindly when i was larger.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 10:11

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

There was a young woman in Canada who posted to ASDLC in 1999, who underwent some truly baffling changes to her social life, as her former friends rejected her when she lost down to her goal weight. I will refrain from giving her name. She was in her early to middle twenties and was a truly beautiful girl. She seriously could have been a model, with her tall frame and pretty face. She was a vegetarian throughout her lc diet journey and we witnessed her unique struggle to make that work. She was a strong woman but she never did come to terms with the hateful treatment she received as her heavier friends didn't share her new interest in activities requiring smaller size and more energy and her thin friends didn't know how to relate to her after she quit being their 'fat friend'. I am tempted to say she stayed the same and they were the ones who changed but I doubt that that's true. I know she gained confidence in some areas and developed more of a voice for herself but I do know she never was mean to anyone nor motivated out of envy or jealousy. We tried to encourage her to let her new vision of human nature inform some choices of new friends but we never knew whether she quit her job or moved to a new part of town or just what. The biggest part of her social circle involved friends from work if I remember right. She was depressed over her friends' behaviors and was starting to question whether it was worth it. She stopped posting altogether and we never knew whether she maintained or chose to go back to her old eating habits. I hope she is still around on here from time to time. If she is and she recognizes this description then I hope she will step up and correct any false memory I have of her story. It would be a good one for your book.