Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 15:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/223/150
BF:
Progress:
Default NEW MEMBER -ANY GOOD TIPS OUT THERE

HELLO EVERYONE. MY NAME IS SUSAN AND I AM A NEW MEMEBER i AM 25 AND HAVE HIGH BLOOD SUGARS. ADAPTING IS A BIT HARD, BUT IT IS GETTING EASIER.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY GOOD RECIPE OR TIPS OR JUST WANTS TO TALK. i WOULD LOVE TO HERE SOME INSPIRATION STROIES.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 17:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hello susanmarie! welcome! check the gold bar at the top for success stories, tips and recipes! you'll find all kind of answers at this sight!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 21:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi SusanMarie, welcome aboard

Sorry to hear that your blood sugars are out of whack, lowcarbing will help for sure. I see in your profile that you've read a number of lowcarb books Knowledge is power, and in this case, knowledge is health too!

Another book you might want to consider is "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars". It is useful for anyone wanting to control their blood sugars with low-carb diet ... whether on insulin or oral medication or not. You can probably find a copy at the library to borrow. There are a few chapters of the book posted at his website http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Keep us posted how you're doing: I'm looking forward to reading all about your lowcarb success..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 05:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Susanmarie.

You are awfully young to be faced with high blood sugar issues. You'll be happy to know that lowcarbing is the Godsend to insulin problems and blood sugar issues.

My dh is type 2 diabetic and low carbing got him to such a stable position, he was able to go off his oral medications.

The only TIP I have for someone like you however, is to STICK with it. If you have insulin issues at your young age, the earlier you address it, the more likely you can stave off type 1 diabetes. (Do you have diabetes in your family?)

The reason I say this is that my dh is a person who can't live without bread, so although he initially did GREAT, he thought doing GREAT meant he could veer off from lowcarbing. So now he's back on the meds. and back on the bread .

The only thing worse than having insulin issues, is watching somebody else have them and KNOW the answer but be unable to get it through their heads.

Oh well, we are all only responsible for ourselves, no one else.

Welcome, I'm new to this board too.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 17:53

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Yuck - diabetes

Welcome to a great site!

I'd like to encourage you too that you've chosen the BEST way to control your diabetes. I, too, am a Type 2 diabetic and from the first day of LC I've been able to drop 5mg Diabeta (Glyberide) daily .... and my blood sugars are just as good if not better. My doc is pleased with the blood work & attributes it to this LC WOL and the resulting weight loss.

Doreen's right about Dr B's Diabetes Solution. Once I read a few chapters online, I dashed out to get my own copy. I recommend it to everyone I know with D.

For inspiration, go to the Journal/Bootcamp to read our ongoing stories. Great stuff.

You go girl, your bld sugars will be improving quickly.

Ruth
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 08:19

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default HI

Hi, I just want to say welcome as well. I see some of the other members have already given you some great advice.

Stop by often and let us know how you're doing.!!