Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 05:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Cool Get back into ketosis faster after carbup

Ok maybe i'm crazy but after fighting the dreaded slowed metabolism with low body temps for the last 8 weeks, I started CKD'ing 3 weeks ago hoping to boost my system back up and get the 3 month stall broken.

The night before last I picked up a jar of coconut oil after reading about how the MCFA's in it are good for boosting the thyroid system and weight loss. The MCFA's are processed by the liver and are burned preferably to other fats instead of being stored.

Anyway I tried a tbls monday night and within 15 minutes my energy shot up and my temp went from 97.7 to 98.4 and stayed there until bedtime. I took a tbls yesterday morning with my coffee and within 15 minutes my temp went from 96.7 to 97.6. After 45 minutes of medium intensity cardio my temp was at 98.4 and my energy level was sky high. My temp stayed above 98 the rest of the day. I even hit 99.1 at one point.

This stuff is like jet fuel I even had a more metalic taste in my mouth than usual. This stuff seems to get you into a deeper state of ketosis quicker.

I haven't gotten this kind of result even from any thermogenics.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 06:42

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default good info ...

Thanks for sharing Bill!

I wonder if there is a connection between coconut oils and MCTs, since most MCT's are derived from coconut oil ... hmmm ...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:07
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Sounds like a great additive for a protein shake! Do you pick it up at a health food store or GNC or where?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:20

BF:

I got it at a local health food store. It wouldn't mix well with a protein shake because it is not liquid. It does melt very easily though. It doesn't have any taste either so I added a tbls to my coffee (I know that sounds nasty) and it melted and floated on top but after 2 sips it was gone.

I tried just eating a tbls but didn't like the look and feel of it.

Man this stuff is great! My am cardio this morning was fantastic. I havn't had this much energy in a long time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:36

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Post Just some stuff....

I found your thread interesting and the first info on it I found is below. Thank you for the helpful post.

Julie

http://www.coconut-info.com/
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Hmm, interesting concept(s). I have an idea of how to REALLY speed decent into ketosis but, I could be 'dead-wrong'; it's an assumption. What if after the day of the 'carb-up' - lets say, you take 1000mg (1 gram) of 'Alpha Lipoic Acid' before doing cardio (for 60 min.) on an empty stomach. Theoretically speaking, wouldn't this be an effective approach to establish ketosis rather quickly?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 09:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
What if after the day of the 'carb-up' - lets say, you take 1000mg (1 gram) of 'Alpha Lipoic Acid' before doing cardio (for 60 min.) on an empty stomach. Theoretically speaking, wouldn't this be an effective approach to establish ketosis rather quickly?

I don't know. I take about 400mg of ALA per day and I have not noticed any difference. I think the thing that is happening here has to do with the MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides). From what I've read the body seems to break them down and use them like carbs.

One analogy I read was that when the metabolism slows down the fat burning slows down also like trying to burn wet logs on a small camp fire. The MCT's are like gas soaked logs and burn fast and hot also burning up the wet logs as well. (I know I probably screwed that up)

But anyway the coconut oil has the MCT's in it and seems to jump start the metabolism.

It may not be necessary to take it everyday either. It may be helpfull when the metabolism slows during cycling thermogenics to take some coconut oil to keep things fired up.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default My own little experiment

Bill, I used your info for my own little experiement this afternoon. At 1:31 (let me be precise ) I took my temp - 98.7 and then I ate one tbsp of coconut oil (more like paste) (not bad, BTW). 30 minutes later I took it again (no water, no food during those 30 minutes to intefere with readings - as even drinking something cool/warm can effect a reading for up to 30 minutes) and at 2:04 pm temp was 99.1. Interesting. I will keep experimenting - my 'high' point is usually around 5 pm, I plan on eating some coconut oil at 4:30

Nat

p.s. edited to say that I do feel kinda 'flushed' and my mouth does have a funny after taste - time to guzzle some water.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Wink

Umm, are you aware there's a buffalo on your head. Maybe worrying about your temperature isn't your biggest problem. ....Alright, I'm bored.... sorry.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:15

BF:

Yep, I'm thinking of changing my name to "Buffy-lo"

N
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 13:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Yep, I'm thinking of changing my name to "Buffy-lo"

N

I like that! HA HA HA HA.

I have been no lower than 98.4 all day and peaked once at 99.1.

We need to come up with other ways to take this stuff.

Bill
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Cool woohoo!

I just ordered a gallon of that stuff!
I realize this might be overkill, but hey! I am sure it will be a very useful product.

hehe, it is dangerous for my husband to go away, I have endless hours to browse and find things that I want. Like Dan's book, CLA, Coconut oil, protein shakes, clothes..
I've noticed a trend: Margaret alone = shopping

Thanks for the info, and website link. If Bill hadn't sold me already, the website did.

Meg
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 15:08

BF:

Bill, I'm going to cook my pancakes in it tonight and see how it goes. Frankly a spoonful isn't awful - it's kinda sweet actually. I've been reading up on it and it looks like all you need to do is replace your butter with this stuff when cooking - just don't deep fry with it.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 16:21

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Wonder how it would taste in Mock Danish....

Or spread on some flax-toast with maybe some cinnamon. Geez, now I'm on a roll.

Will prolly find me some and see! I almost bought a jar of MCT oil a few days ago, but it said a serving had 12 carbs (!!!), so I passed. Might go back and have another look-see at the label and reconsider.

Friday
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 17:34

BF:

fridayeyes,

I checked fitday and coconut oil has

117 cals
14g fat -- 12 sat. -- 1 mono
0 carbs

The MCT oil you saw has something added.

What I got was Spectrum essentials coconut oil.
100% refined coconut oil - contains no preservatives or additives.

I also ordered some 100% virgin coconut oil from http://www.coconut-info.com/purchase.htm

I read where the refined stuff has all the MCT's and benefits. It has been bleached and deoderized.

Bill