Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176.5/170/154 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Cookbooks?

I see that Dr. Atkins has a couple of cookbooks - which ones do you recommend for a newbie? Aside from Dr. Atkins books, what other cookbooks are ok to use on this plan?

Thanks,
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

Honestly?? I would recommend makeing your own cookbook from web-sites (like this one). I have found probably 50 good recipes. and atleast 15 of them are in my normal eating plans..... The "name brand" books seem (to me) to try so hard and put so much into a meal.. it is overkill...

but that is me...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 17:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default I'd suggest...

....a trip to the bookstore. Go when you have an hour or two to spare and spend some time just paging through the various low carb cookbooks they have. If you find one with a lot of recipes that look good to you, get it! If not, at least you've gotten a lot of good ideas for meals. There are a lot of sites on the internet with low carb recipes, too, including this one. Karen is an AWESOME low carb recipe resource. Me? I have 5 low carb cookbooks, but I mostly just use them for ideas. I've never been one to follow a recipe exactly...always have to tinker with it somehow. LOL
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 05:29

Stats: 227/185/165 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up Cookbooks

I have a few low carb cookbooks but the one I have used the most is "The low carb cookbook" by Fran McCullough. While it is designed for Protien Power it fits in well with Atkins, though not all the recipres would be suitable for induction.

It is at the more gourmet end of the market but many of the recipes are quite simple and very tasty. It is winter here in New Zealand and I have made several of the soup recipes to take to work for my lunch.

It also gives quite a few hints on how to get maximun mileage out of every carb. I haveto say I always prefer advice from some one who has actually had to lose weight as well and Fran McCullough has.

I have ordered her second book "Living low carb". Tracked it down at bookcloseouts.com for $5.99 for the hardback. ( I just love a bargin !!!)

I have found that now I have gotten rid of those boring low fat cook books some of the old classic cookbooks had an excellent range of recipes suitable for low carb woe. Last night I made Chicken Paprika with sour cream - very nice and under 10 carbs.