Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 05:30
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default Calling all breastfeeding low carbers!

Hello ladies,

I found this website through a yahoo search for breastfeeding and low carbing. How nice to see other women in the same boat!

I've read a few of the threads here, and am wondering who is still out there? It'd be nice to get a little group together here. I found another website with a nursing mother group, but after lurking there awhile, I decided they're not for me. This board seems much friendlier!

I have posted in the introduction forum, but wanted to say hello here, too. I have 2 sons,(Dominick, age 6, Zsolti age 5months) both caesarian, both breastfed, and plan to have another (though hopefully a little girl next time ) next year.

Look forward to meeting you!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 14:27

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

WELCOME!
I have identical twin boys that are 3.5 and have a girl who is 10 mths old and we are nursing still. Well somewhat! Welcome to the board!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 01:41
muscle bound

Hi Twinmomma!'

Oh my, you're a brave woman! Young twins plus a little one! And bf'ing.........how kewl! Actually, I would love to have twins........sort of like a BOGOF for pregnancy and delivery . But sadly, there are NO twins anywhere on my immediate family tree.

I see from your stats that you have made some progress.......how has it been? Have you had to fight every pound, watch every bite? I weighed myself this morning, after my first week back, and I haven't lost anything...........but not gained, either, which was my first goal! Plus, I just restarted jog/walking on Sat. and Sun., and am feeling it today, so I wonder if my muscles are holding water for repairs.

How many carbs are you at? Exercise? I suppose I could move my lazy butt over to your journal and check for myself, huh.

Thanks for the welcome, and hope to see you around!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 01:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hello Lisa... another nursing LC mama here! My name is Mattia, and I am still nursing my 2 year old son, Sebastian. I've been a member of this board for a while now, though I haven't posted too often, and I agree with you - this is a great place for support. Best wishes on your journey towards better health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 02:18
muscle bound

Hi Mattia!

Nice to meet you! I love your son's name, Sebastian. Do you have a nick name for him? I nursed my first son until 2, and plan to do the same for the newest. How have you done, weight-loss wise? What is your carb level? Do you keep a set number of calories per day? I'm still trying to figure out what will work for me. Thanks for popping by!
Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Thank you, Lisa. Sebastian's nickname is Bas, or sometimes Bastian.

Weight-loss wise, I couldn't be happier. I lost 90lbs. my first 11 months on plan, and an additional 7lbs. or so the past 5+ months. I've basically been toying with maintenance during this time, while dealing with some of my emotional issues that helped me to gain all this weight in the first place. As of today, I am back in weight-loss mode though, and I plan to lose at least another 50lbs.

Being much heavier when I started, I could lose steadily consuming as many as 2500 calories/day. These days, I have to keep my calories under 2000/day in order to lose, and under 1800/day in order to lose at a pace I'm happy with. I have generally lost weight while consuming 25-35 net grams/day(I only subtract fiber). We eat a mostly whole foods diet, so at least 95% of our intake comes from healthy, nutritious foods and not packaged, processed foods.

What's helped me more than anything is FitDay PC. I lose best while journaling my food intake with FitDay because it keeps me honest, and helps me to find trends in my weightloss. If you haven't tried FitDay yet, I highly recommend it. It's the easiest way to actually SEE what works for our body, and what doesn't.

Thanks again for the sweet compliment. I love talking about this stuff, so if you would like, add me to your buddy list. One can never have too many weightloss buddies.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 21:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi all. I am also a breastfeeding mom. My baby, Nicholas, is just over 6 months old and I would love to continue to nurse him for another 6 months. I don't know that I will make it however since I seem to feel horrible as long as I am breastfeeding. My minimum goal is to bf for the first 9 months then see how far I can get after that. I'd be interested to know if there are any other ladies out there that just don't feel like themselves during this time. I gained 15 lbs after I had my baby which was really strange. I have always had trouble losing while bf, but gaining, yikes! Thankfully, the weight gain seems to be under control since October. Sure wish I could lose though, now it seems like I have so far to go.

I have 5 kids in total, ages 9, 7, 5, 3, and 6 months. They keep me fairly occupied, but I still find the time to exercise and sit at my computer. Look forward to chattin' with ya.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 05:12
muscle bound

Hello Jende, and Mattia

I'm not worrying too much about calories yet...I1m mindful of them, and have been using FitDay. The past week or so I have had anywhere between 1600-2100, and I'm not sure if that's too low (we're supposed to eat an extra 500, right? ) I did gain about 20lbs with my first baby, during the first year postpartum. I just found a study on a search engine that concluded that "Mobilization of tissue reserves is a general, but not obligatory, feature of lactation." That's me, gotta be the exception! Seems like you, too, Jende!

Anyway, I left the hospital at 81kg, and 5 months postpartum found myself at 86, so the gain has started, and I am concerned with stopping it. I've been trying to keep my carbs 30-60, which includes a cup of fresh, raw milk that DH brings home daily. I firmly beleive the Ca in that is the most absorbable form. After tracking my foods, and eating cheese, I see that my average Ca intake is still only 1000mg. I am trying to get 1250-1500 w/o supplements, because the only stuff available here is CaCO4, not very absorbable. Do you guys monitor your Ca and/or protein intake?

We don't have any commercially available LC frankenfoods here, a mixed blessing. My mom mails me Splenda, which is helpful. Otherwise, everything is from fresh and I cook from scratch.

Jende, you also chose a great name, IMHO. Nicholas was on my list this time around, but I didn't like the Hungarian version...Miklaus. So I went very traditional instead I have always felt pretty good bf'ing...it was during pregnancy that I felt most out-of-sorts. I hope you can figure out a way to feel better, and then continue to bf. I bet you feel pretty dragged down with all the kids under 10! Very cool.

I have just restarted lifting free weights, and some moderate cardio. What kind of exercise do you guys do, if any? I have never been able to lose through diet alone.

BTW, I wouldn't mind doing the buddy chat thing, but I'm 6 hours (at least) ahead of you guys, and am usually online when you're fast asleep!
Take care,
Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:18

BF:

Doesn't it suck gaining weight after having a baby Lisa? I'm sorry you have to go through that too, but it makes me feel a little better to know that I am not the only one out there that gains during this time even though they aren't eating too much more. I confess that I really pigged out while at my Mom's house over the holidays but didn't really gain that much, so I think the gaining problem is probably under control. I think I am a person whose system really becomes upset when my hormones are off. This is probably why I start to feel better after I wean.

I started exercising fairly soon after I had the baby and am now starting to see that I will get back to where I was before. I'm lifting weights three days a week now and just doing some walking on the treadmill for the days in between. I'm very fortunate to have a power rack, olympic weight set, and lots of free weights in my basement, so I have no problem getting to "the gym" . I'm back doing squats, deadlifting and bench press.

I'm glad you mentioned the calcium thing because I really have not been paying that close of attention to it.

Jen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 00:47
muscle bound

Hey Jen,

You should look into starting a journal, or at least a gym log.........then I can come by and bug ya

Quote:
I'm lifting weights three days a week now and just doing some walking on the treadmill for the days in between. I'm very fortunate to have a power rack, olympic weight set, and lots of free weights in my basement, so I have no problem getting to "the gym"

You are fortunate! I have a bench and FW's, too, plus one of those universal gym contraptions, but no power rack. I have had an energy surge in the past few days, which I contribute to the lifting. I'm feeling hyper!

Good news/bad news this morning.........I have lost a kg (~2lbs), but baby woke me up at midnight, 4, and 6am, crying....he felt like a little hot coal. He has a fever, poor guy, and I managed to get him to take some infant Panadol. He's sleeping right now.......I think he might be cutting teeth...he's just started biting down on me! DH will be calling the Dr. later to see if anything else will be required.

Talk at yall later!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 10:47

BF:

Lisa, I love my power rack. The bench and weights should be fine for your upper body and you could really blast your legs by doing single legged stuff (squats, deadlifts). A person can always improvise. Before I was pregnant last year I was following a program by a sadistic Australian strength coach to increase my squat and deadlift. In the beginning weeks, alot of the exercises were single-legged and body weight stuff. It was ALOT harder than I thought it would be.

My baby also had a fever when he was 5 months. He needed to be coddled for a couple of days then went right back to his routine when he felt better.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 10:37
muscle bound

Quote:
I love my power rack.

I'm going to look into getting one when tax refund money comes in, then. By then, hopefully, I'll have reached limits w/o one.

Baby's doing much better this evening. It's good to hear you had a similar experience that worked out. I don't recall teething problems with my first one.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 12:17

BF:

The power rack is a good investment since you can do so much more with it. I easily justified the cost since I can't get out to the gym with all these kids under foot and one or two years of a gym membership would be the cost of the rack and the olympic weights anyway. Between hubby and I, I think we've gotten our money's worth and more.

Now the problem is that I want a personal trainer to go with all that equipment. I'm sure that I'm staying within my comfort zone and not working out with the proper intensity here at home all by myself. Perhaps I'm up for an expensive birthday present this year .

Jen
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 04:20
muscle bound

That's a good idea! Always nice to have some expert guidance and encouragement!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 20:48

Stats: 180/173/130 Female 5ft4in
BF:30%/30%/22%
Progress: 14%

Hi Ladies...Thanks for inviting me here Dane. I'll just start off with an introduction and a little bit of my background. My name is Janie and I'm a single mom of three (Bradley, 10, Halie, 7, and Ayden, 5 months). I am breastfeeding Ayden and plan to do so for a good while. Anyhow, I'm TRYING to get into a LC diet (currently failing miserably) I tried it for about a week until my milk supply practically VANISHED. Poor Ayden was sucking like there was no tomorrow and couldn't even get two drops of milk. Soooo...I've gotten a little off track. I need to start on the fenugreek and start over again. The past few days have been anything but LC!! (Had spaghetti for dinner....yikes! Carb cravings are back in full-swing!!)
Right after I had Ayden I lost weight like crazy...thirty pounds in three weeks! Now I'm just plain stuck. I haven't lost a lb. in the past four months...except for the two pounds I lost Lowcarbing, but I'm sure that I've gained it back these past few days. Plus I managed to gain a few lbs over the holidays. I'm so glad I found a place to communicate with other breastfeeding mamas going through the struggle of losing weight! It sure feels nice to not be alone!!
Janie