Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 20:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 380/380/290 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Confused and trying to do what is best

Hi, guys. I have not really been posting since I started my Induction on May 13th but have become VERY confused and scared. I am confused because I am having trouble with finding which diet is right for me and I am scared because I don't want to fail and gain more weight. My current stats are this:

360/351/128 and I am 5 feet, 1 inch tall

I lost 9 pounds in my first week and a half during Induction on Atkins. It stalled and I did not lose anything for a week. Then, I went to my other doctor and she told me that Atkins was no good and to try a similar diet but it adds grapefruit to each major meal. That had been working but I called my pharmacist concerned about the interaction of grapefruit with my psych meds (I am hypothyroid with bipolar disorder) and was told to discontinue this diet since the grapefruit can cause toxic levels of a certain medication. So now I am back at stage one. WHAT DO I DO?

I stopped the Atkins Plan due to my doctor's recommendation and due to lack of energy despite my vigilant efforts to adhere to Dr. Atkins foods list. I don't know whether to restart Atkins, find a different low-carb plan that is friendly to the thyroid gland, if there is one because my thyroid is rather ornery, or should I just give up?

I got so upset today that I cried for an hour. I am sick of being obese. I am scared my thyroid will reject any plan I start (what I thought my lack of energy was) or any low-carb diet. I am very confused and do not know what to do! HELP!

~ Lichen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 20:42
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

First, I don't blame you for being scared.

I also have hypothyroid and am on Levoxyl. I have been on Atkins since September and have been keeping a close watch on my thryoid levels. So far everything has been great-so I don't think Atkins will hurt yout thryoid at all-in fact I have been less swelled with Atkins.

The week of no weight loss is normal. YOu might not lose weight every week-even on Atkins or any other low carb plan. I also took measurements on various body parts (waist, hip, thigh...) and found that on the weeks I don't lose weight, I lose inches.

The fatigue is also normal in the beginning of a low carb plan-your body takes a little while to adjust to fat burning. It will go away.

My advice is -you know Atkins did work for you, try it for a month and see what happens. Make sure you read the book and get in your veggies. Make sure your fat intake is up. Most people here recommend 65-70% of their calories from fat. This has also worked for me.

Most doctors don't know a lot about nutrition, so I wouldn't necessarily take her word for it. My doctor put me on Atkins, for heaven's sake.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 00:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

go to atkinscenter.com...i think thats it. anyway email them
and ask them if theres a better way of doing it for your condition.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 00:17

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It is well know that grapefruit can interefere with certain medications. There is nothing wrong with atkins. Just stick to it and forget grapefruit - forever.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 05:54
Nursing Mama

Plan: High fat 80/15/5
Stats: 255/243/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

It's so frustrating when our doctors, who we literally trust with our lives, tell us things we don't want to necessarily here. I have chosen to go against my doctor's recommendations only after hours and weeks of careful research, all of which has convinced me that a low-carb diet is not only safe, it's much healthier than the USDA food pyramid.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 06:46
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Lichen...
I am also hypothyroid. Had half of thyroid removed due to a tumor and am taking Unithroid. I've been on Atkins since 4/23 and had my thyroid tested after two weeks. My thyroid was up and my doctor was very happy even though he's not convinced Atkins is good. The Atkins WOE is not harmful to thyroid.

Are you taking supplements?? If not that could cause lack of energy. A multivitamin, calcium, magnesium, potassium and Vitamin C are essential IMHO. I also take a lot of other things that are supposed to help my metabolism and liver.

I agree with Robert that you should give Atkins another try. You were not on it long enough. A week to 2 week stall after induction is normal. After a few weeks on Atkins go have your thyroid tested. Maybe your meds need to be adjusted.

Hang in there. This WILL WORK!!

Barb
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Good morning, Lichen,

I think so many of us can relate to your frustration. Sorting through the massive amounts of information, testimonies, etc. It's enough to make all of us sit down and cry.

But I agree with the advice you've been given to far. Clearly, many doctors are not on board with Atkins so far, but remember HE was a doctor too! A cardiologist, who throughout his career of 40 years plus, watched people change their bodies, get healthier and work through health issues by nutrition. Finally, the medical and scientific communities are re-thinking the food pyramid, and the general paradigm we've been trained in.

You hit the same wall I did after two or three weeks... NADA after a good loss of 13 pounds! But that is the time to stay faithful to your plan and let your body begin to adjust to it slowly and over a period of time so that it becomes a normal, natural thing...

Nixing the grapefruit was a good idea... and there you have again the medical opinions being one way, then another.

I don't have a thyroid problem, but I have battled PCOS and depression all my life and it was ONLY when I got armed with solid information and took control of my own body and health, that I began to heal...and I barely have any symptoms of either now.

Please don't stay upset...you can do this!! There is plenty of support, information and motivation right here, and I for one, will stay tuned if you need any brow-wiping, or pats on the back!!

Take care,

#8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 09:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I think the fact that your doctor told you to eat grapefuit with every meal when your pharmacist knew immediately that it produces an undesirable effect with your medication tells you something about your doctor's knowledge of nutrition. I know she means well, but doctors typically receive little if any training in nutrition and tend to parrot conventional wisdom.

Trust yourself here. Do your own research on low carb eating plans. Even if you don't do strict Atkins, cutting out starch and sugar and replacing them with vegetables will make you feel so much better! After one week of just that, I was so on board with Atkins, I never looked back. Even though I don't lose weight quickly, the changes are visible and I feel so much healthier than I did for years, and my husband is constantly commenting on what good shape I'm in now.

Taking a good supplement will definitely help with your energy. Remember, your metabolism probably has a lot of healing to do and that takes time. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 13:05

Stats: 250/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I am also hypothyroid and have been doing Atkins since last September. I take Levoxyl.

Please don't give up. I know how discouraged you must be feeling. I hated being obese. (Now I'm "just" overweight.)

I told my oncologist that I was doing Atkins and he said "me too!" I told my GP I was doing Atkins and she said "Lots of people in the office are, too!"

So, see, it just depends on which doctor you talk to.

The other thing to consider is that "they" may say Atkins is bad for you, but "they" also say being obese is bad for you. So what can you do? Consider sticking with Atkins and giving it a good trial run.

And remember that with your thyroid problems, it could be more difficult and take longer for you to lose weight than other people. Just try to hang in there, and remember that nine pounds you lost is a very good start!

Virginia
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 13:16

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Lichen,
I don't have any advice since I'm new here, too. I just wanted to tell you not to give up and to come here often. There are lots of great people here with tons of knowledge. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:48

Plan: Common Sense
Stats: 188/154.6/170 Male 67 inches
BF:?/12/10
Progress: 186%
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by latingirl
Hi Lichen,
I don't have any advice since I'm new here, too. I just wanted to tell you not to give up and to come here often. There are lots of great people here with tons of knowledge. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'll second that!!! Don't give up!!!!!!!