Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 07:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default keto vs. inflammatory enzymes in MS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubm...ple%20sclerosis

Quote:
Ketogenic diets attenuate cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase gene expression in multiple sclerosis.
Bock M, et al. EBioMedicine. 2018.
Show full citation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Adapted ketogenic diet (AKD) and caloric restriction (CR) have been suggested as alternative therapeutic strategies for inflammatory, hyperproliferative and neurodegenerative diseases. Pro-inflammatory eicosanoids have been implicated in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis since they augment vascular permeability and induce leukocyte migration into the brain. We explored the impact of ketogenic diets on gene expression of biosynthetic enzymes for pro- (ALOX5, COX1, COX2) and anti-inflammatory (ALOX15) eicosanoids in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.

METHODS: 60 adults were prospectively recruited for this six months randomized controlled trial and the impact of dietary treatment on the Multiple Sclerosis Quality of Life-54 index (ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT01538355) has previously been published. Here we explored 24 patients (8 controls, 5 on CR and 11 on AKD). For statistical analysis we combined the two diet groups to a single pooled treatment group.

FINDINGS: Inter-group comparison indicated that expression of the pro-inflammatory ALOX5 in the pooled treatment group was significantly (p < 0.05) reduced when compared with the control group. Moreover, intra-group comparison (same individuals before and after dietary treatment) suggested significantly impaired expression of other pro-inflammatory enzymes, such as COX1 (p < 0.001) and COX2 (p < 0.05). Finally, pretreatment cross-group analysis revealed a significant positive correlation between expression of pro-inflammatory ALOX5 and COX2 and an inverse correlation of ALOX5 and COX1 expression with the MSQoL-54 index.

INTERPRETATION: Ketogenic diets can reduce the expression of enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. Pharmacological interference with eicosanoid biosynthesis might constitute a strategy supplementing current therapeutic approaches for MS.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 08:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

INTERPRETATION: Ketogenic diets can reduce the expression of enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. Pharmacological interference with eicosanoid biosynthesis might constitute a strategy supplementing current therapeutic approaches for MS.

The eicosanoids are also mentioned in a drug ad for a lung disease treatment;this is a new ad that is running frequently here; wonder if the keto would be beneficial to those with this particular lung disease, perhaps better than the drugs, and less costly.

IMO ketogenic diets are looking like the panaceia we have been looking for. I hope these studies will increase and help patients see one more method to a better quality life.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 10:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree, Ms A, and I would further say that following a KD not only can improve existing health, but prevent the development of a variety of health issues, particularly through the attenuation of inflammation. It's easy to adapt, easy to follow, and I never feel that I'm restricting myself to any degree. It takes a short time to transition, but it has simplified my life tremendously.

Thanks, teaser, good to know the positive effects of a KD can extend to MS and other pro-inflammatory diseases, which are many.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 10:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Thanks, teaser, good to know the positive effects of a KD can extend to MS and other pro-inflammatory diseases, which are many.

Terry Wahls has already demonstrated that a keto diet can benefit people with ms (her n=1 experiment is pretty powerful) plus she has been conducting research trials for a number of years now. She has to crowd source her funding since no drug companies are interested. Dr Wahls also believes that her protocol extends to many more diseases and uses it in her clinic at the
university of Iowa, I believe, with good results.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 11:03
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

There's the Wahl's Protocol for MS and the Bredesen Protocol for Alzeheimer's Disease. Dr. Perlmutter talks about using it to treat Parkinson's Disease. Indeed, all the neurological disorders which afflict the elderly respond positively to ketosis.

https://www.drperlmutter.com/ketoge...insons-disease/

https://www.drbredesen.com/thebredesenprotocol
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 14:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Jean, thanks for the reminder of Terry Wahls' effective results treating MS with a KD. The encouraging thing about the RCT referenced above is that it supports her MS dietary protocol by confirming that inflammation can be reduced or avoided by taking a ketogenic approach. Very good news!!!

Terry Wahls and Miriam Kalamian have shown how a KD can help with MS and cancer, respectively. We know how effective a strict KD is with seizures in children. These pioneers successfully using an N=1 protocol for stemming health issues with a KD is really the precursor to it becoming a standard of care approach in the near future. No need to wait to be told by the authorities about what works. We could be waiting forever . . .
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 17:37

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

I just read an article about a study showing a healthy diet slowing the plaque that causes Alzheimers. The diet used was high in fruits, vegetables and fiber. I am curious how many of these studies definitively show the benefits are due to eating a specific diet vs improving the existing diet.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 16:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good question

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Oct-10-18 at 16:53.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 16:50

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
I just read an article about a study showing a healthy diet slowing the plaque that causes Alzheimers. The diet used was high in fruits, vegetables and fiber. I am curious how many of these studies definitively show the benefits are due to eating a specific diet vs improving the existing diet.

Yes, good question, indeed. Since people often think of a healthy diet as one having a lot of fruit and veg content, is it really that those items actually cause some benefit or just the fact that a person is eating a healthier diet in that junk foods have been removed? As in they might be even healthier on some other healthy (junk/bad foods removed) diet with lesser amounts of plant materials included? When I think of the phrase fruit equals nature's candy, that's why I rarely eat fruit. "Candy" has too much sugar for me, whether that sugar was made by a fruit plant or a processing plant. Could, for instance, a carnivore style diet outperform a plant-based one in slowing disease? We don't know.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 21:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Yes, good question, indeed. Since people often think of a healthy diet as one having a lot of fruit and veg content, is it really that those items actually cause some benefit or just the fact that a person is eating a healthier diet in that junk foods have been removed? As in they might be even healthier on some other healthy (junk/bad foods removed) diet with lesser amounts of plant materials included?
Yes, it could just be what they are not eating, rather than the fruit & vegs. Grains, legumes & dairy proteins cause problems for me (sore joints, headaches, allergenic asthma, sinusitis, dermatitis, brain fog, etc., all inflammatory immune responses). I don't have these problems if I eat ketogenically, but I can also be symptom-free on fruit & vegs or pure sugar for a while ... until hunger & cravings for grains, dairy & other junk set in & cause weight gain (due to lower amounts of satiating fat & protein & insulin resistance). But that doesn't mean that fruits & vegs is the optimal diet for me (or anyone).