Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 19:42

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Chinese Bristo Styled Lettuce Wraps

I really like PF Chang's but the sugar they use in their food sends me into hypoglycemic overload so I have learned to make a few of their specialties at home in a LC way thanks to a few LC recipe secretes floating around. This is one recipe my kids low. All I do is serve them rice with it and it’s a meal for everyone. Even my picky non-low carb family loves this.

Six Servings
Mild flavor oil like peanut
4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken seasoned with salt and pepper on both sides
1 tbsp sesame oil (I use sesame chili oil because we like things hot)
2 tsp dry white wine or sherry
2 tbsp Wheat Free Tamari (Soy Sauce)
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 pinches of Chinese Five Spice
½ lb fresh shitake mushrooms
¼ cup carrots
¼ cup celery
¼ cup onion
2 green onions, minced for garnish
Slivered Almonds and/or Sesame seeds
Leaf Lettuce
Cilantro
Cucumber
Shredded Carrot
Bean Sprouts
Low Carb Hoisin Sauce (see recipe below)

Make the Hoisin sauce first. Adapted from Dana Carpender’s 500 Low Carb Recipes:
2 tbsp Wheat Free Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter (no sugar)
2 tbsp Splenda
2 tbsp rice vinegar (regular, no sugar)
1 garlic clove
½ tsp minced ginger
2 tsp chili sesame oil
¼ tsp Chinese Five Spice
¼ cup reduced chicken consommé or water
Place all ingredients in blender or processor and mix until smooth. Set aside and chill

Lettuce Wraps

In wok heat about 2 tbsp peanut oil and cook chicken thoroughly. Then take off heat and once cooled a little dice it and set aside. In a small container that you can seal and shake (like a zip lock bag) combine sherry, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, five spice, pepper, sesame oil and about 2 tbsp of the Hoisin Sauce, shake well in bag then toss into the empty pan. Heat on medium for a minute or two stirring the entire time to combine ingredients, then add mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion and heat for about 3-4 minutes until you get the desired texture (I like them still a little crunchy). Toss chicken back in and stir quickly to mix and warm everything thoroughly DO NOT OVERCOOK.

Pour onto a serving plate, garnish with shredded green onions, sesame seeds and/or almonds. Serve immediately with veggie presentation below.

Presentation: Use another large plate to arrange an assortment of raw veggies such as bean sprouts, shredded carrot, slivered green onion, slivered cucumber, and cilantro along with the big fresh lettuce leaves. A lazy Susan works great to serve this to your family or you can also make individual plates if you want it to look extra special. I have these really cool salsa bowls that I spoon the meat mixture into and place in the middle of everyone’s plate then arrange the veggies around the plate.

To eat: Spoon in 1 or 2 tbsp of meat mixture on large leaf, add a few fresh veggies and little extra of the LC Hoisin sauce. Serve with warm Jasmine tea in a pretty teapot and you will feel you in a fancy Chinese Bistro.

Mu Shoo Variation: Use ½ cup raw cold slaw mix instead of the diced carrots, and substitute low carb tortillas for the lettuce wraps.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 09:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

This recipes sounds really great. I can't wait to try it. I am wondering if it is really 4 lbs. or chicken or not? It just seems like a lot in comparison to the other ingredients.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 15:17

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks so much for asking. This is a good question. When I do this recipe I either do 4 large boneless thighs or 2 large chicken breasts cooked then diced. When I add it to the pot I mix it until it "looks right", which means I might have some chicken left over, that I keep in the fridge for a chicken salad. (You can never have too much cooked chicken on hand on a lc diet!)

For most of us doing LC we use alot more meat than other things so that is why the porportions might look a little off (especially the spice, but the hosin sauce is really flavorable so use a light hand with it).

hope this helps.

Kellie