Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-12, 22:43

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Red face LC Brown Sugar Substitutes

i've been searching the internet for the past hour on lc brown sugar substitutes and there are just so many that my brain is now going crazy. so can you guys please give your feedback on your favorite lc brown sugar substitute for baking. i'm trying to be prepared for the holiday season.

i know Ideal brown is suppose to be really good, but dang it sure is carby i may as well have real brown sugar. then there's sugar twin brown , sweet n' low brown, lc-foods brown sugar,
Marsden & Bathe Brown Sugar Flavor extract, Torani Syrup Brown Sugar/Cinnamon, Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, Just Like Sugar Brown Sweetner, Steel Nature Brown...and there's more. Good lawd my head is spinning. I just want to be able to make some awesome lc bake goodies for the holidays without any high carbs, no bitterness, and the best taste possible. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-12, 23:57

Wink

poor little lc brown sugar thread isn't getting any love. cricket cricket.

sugar twin brown is out of stock. sweet n' low brown can only be bought in packs of 6 and i just really don't need that amount of brown sugar. ideal is too carby (like 53 carbs a cup or something like that) and i've heard it doesn't carmelize.

anywho's...i think i'm just going to go with an organic brown sugar extract for now. seems to be the best option for me so far.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 06:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I was here several times yesterday and this didn't come up in "New Posts". Perhaps that is why you didn't get any response.

I've wondered about this too and decided to just add blackstrap molasses to the recipe. That way I can use my preferred base, which is Swerve. Where did you find brown sugar extract? Seems like that may be better.

I've also heard people use maple extract or sugar free maple syrup.

1 cup artificial sweetener*
1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
Mix ingredients well.

Replaces 1 cup of regular brown sugar to be used when baking.

*Use the type of sweetener that measures 1 cup to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

For 1 cup of brown sugar:

1 Cup of splenda (24g carbs)
1 T. blackstrap molasses (11g carbs)
1 smidgeon salt (1/32 t.)

Mix a cup of granulated Erythritol, 1/4 teaspoon of NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend, and a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Makes the equivalent of a cup of brown sugar.

A food processor makes it really easy but a whisk and a deep narrow bowl works just fine too!

You can also use yacon syrup in place of the molasses if you have it.

From various threads on Low Carb Friends.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 16:18

i saw a few of them. i have to find the other one again, but here's the first one i found:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/index...oncentrate.html
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 21:15

here's another brown sugar extract:

Marsden & Bathe Brown Sugar Flavor--2 ounces

http://www.amazon.com/Marsden-Bathe...wn+Sugar+Flavor
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 19:49

Talking

just received torani brown sugar/cinnamon as a gift so that's what i will be using.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 20:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have the brown sugar/cinnimon syrup, and to me it tastes nothing like brown sugar at all. I use it in my coffee to kind of give a pumpkin pie spice feel, but I just don't get the brown sugar taste that baking with brown sugar brings out.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 22:11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I was here several times yesterday and this didn't come up in "New Posts". Perhaps that is why you didn't get any response.

I've wondered about this too and decided to just add blackstrap molasses to the recipe. That way I can use my preferred base, which is Swerve. Where did you find brown sugar extract? Seems like that may be better.

I've also heard people use maple extract or sugar free maple syrup.

1 cup artificial sweetener*
1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
Mix ingredients well.

Replaces 1 cup of regular brown sugar to be used when baking.

*Use the type of sweetener that measures 1 cup to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

Mix a cup of granulated Erythritol, 1/4 teaspoon of NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend, and a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Makes the equivalent of a cup of brown sugar.

A food processor makes it really easy but a whisk and a deep narrow bowl works just fine too!

You can also use yacon syrup in place of the molasses if you have it.

From various threads on Low Carb Friends.

i ended up using my torani brown sugar/cinnamon & i purchased some unsulphured black strap molasses and used JLx suggestion plus i added some of the torani in it too:

i've got a cheesecake cooling in the oven overnight as we speak. i made such an awesome crust using the ingredients above using a tablespoon of the mixture above, plus pecans & almonds ground, pure vanilla extract, fresh grated ginger, apple pie spice, more cinnamon & nutmeg, a tbls of sf honey, unrefined virgin coconut oil, and two tablespoons of carbquik and put it all in my ninja master. oh man! i tasted the crust mixture and i could have eaten it all by itself. don't let me get started on the cheesecake mixture itself. it's going to be *on* thanksgiving day.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-12, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

2007, could you post your cheesecake recipe? It sounds wonderful!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-12, 13:23

Talking

thank u pollyanna1. now why did u have to remind me that i still have about 5 or 6 slices frozen in the freezer. now i had to have a slice w/some coffee this morning.

for those of you that may not know, cheesecake keeps in the freezer very well. it's the best way to stop yourself from chowing down the whole darn thing at one time.

i usually wrap them individually in freezer safe wraps and ziplocks so u aren't defrosting the whole cake everytime.

so back to the recipe, well basically the crust recipe is already listed above. the only thing that isn't on there is that i also added 1 tsp of dark molasses in it too and as for the cheesecake itself i was pretty much adding everything in there. i just kinda throw stuff together so i don't have exact counts. i do remember using three 8 ounce creme cheese, 1 8 ounce ricotta, and 1/2 sour creme as my base. as for the rest u will have to give me a minute because i'm not sure right now 'cause i was just having fun throwing it together. i will get back to you with the actual recipe once my brain's memory function returns.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-12, 10:13
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for the ideas. I always make ham in the crockpot at Christmas with either splenda or sugartwin brown sugar, as the family loves it, but I know those are still 50% brown sugar and really carby.

So this thread gave me the idea to try it with Walden Farms pancake syrup, which I have used as the sweetening agent in bbq sauces and other things succesfully - I'm going to try it, I bet it will be good.