Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 05:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Always Hungry? by Dr. David Ludwig

Today is publication day for a new book about Low Carb Dieting by a highly respected Harvard physician, professor, head of children's weight loss program, and more. Dr Michael Eades captures the significance of that in the beginning of his book review:

Quote:
It’s not often that faculty members of major academic institutions do anything but sneer at low-carbohydrate diets. But that all changes now. Today brings the publication of a new book by a professor at Harvard Medical School, Dr. David Ludwig, on the virtues of low-carb dieting. As you can probably discern from the title, Always Hungry?: Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells & Lose Weight Permanently, this book isn’t an academic treatise about some arcane aspect of carb restriction. It is, doubtless, the most comprehensive book on all facets of low-carb dieting published to date.

.....very positive review follows.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201.../always_hungry/

YouTube. Embedded in Dr Eades review is one video from Dr Ludwig. In early promoting of this book, he started a YouTube channel on various topics with short, clear explanations. All good, here is his intro for the book itself:

http://youtu.be/uIuXox33VAg

Yesterday, Dr David Perlmutter posted his Skype interview, also a good introduction to this book.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/empower...dr-david-ludwig

I have suggested this as a purchase for our library, so have not read it yet myself, but got the impression from the interview that there is some heavier going science in it. Not a text book, but something many of us on this forum would enjoy.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-05-16 at 05:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 06:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Whenever I decide that I am not going to spend a penny extra on books something comes around that I can't resist.

The times they are a changing.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 07:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Insulin is fat cell fertilizer.

I love it!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 08:21
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Oh my. Janet, you'll be the death of my budget! I couldn't resist ordering it, as I'm thinking it will be the new benchmark LC book.
g
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 10:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, you are a valued resource of information. Thanks for this post. After I was firmly under the impression that I have a full (very full) library of nutritional resources, here comes another good one. I just so happen to have received an Amazon.com gift certificate recently . . .
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 14:00

BF:

So far I have resisted buying. It seems that a lot of the book is devoted to his meal plan and that's not something I am interested in since I am happy with the way I eat. If anyone who is reading the book could report back on what they thought of it I would appreciate it. Maybe I'll see if the library will get it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 15:24

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Interview in Forbes:

Quote:
Dr. David Ludwig has developed a startling new theory that turns traditional diet advice on its head: overeating doesn’t make you fat; the process of getting fat makes you overeat.

In his new book, Always Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently, Ludwig lays out his premise that our 40-year embrace of calories in, calories out has actually contributed to weight gain. His groundbreaking research, clinical experience and recommended eating plan for weight loss is bound to shake up the medical and nutrition fields....
Quote:
"The low-fat/high carbohydrate diet we’ve been told to eat for 40 years has raised insulin levels and triggered our fat cells to hoard too many calories, leaving too few for the rest of the body. Recognizing this problem, the brain responds in a logical way – by making us hungry (to get more calories) and slowing down metabolism (to conserve them). But as long as fat cells remain on calorie storage overdrive, the extra calories we eat won’t stay in the blood for long, and will instead fuel the growth of more body fat

Think of insulin as “Miracle-Gro” for fat cells. ...

The program in Always Hungry? targets the cause, not symptoms, of weight gain with a diet that lowers insulin levels and calms the chronic inflammation caused by rapidly expanding fat cells.

When that happens, fat cells begin to release their excess calories back into the body, and the brain experiences a more abundant and stable fuel supply. As a result, hunger decreases, metabolism speeds up, and weight decreases without the struggle....

Insulin is stimulated by the processed carbohydrates in our diet – not just added sugar, but also processed carbs like bread, white rice, pasta, potato products, cookies, crackers, and “fat-free” snacks and desserts. That’s why I recommend a higher fat diet, which is the fastest way to lower insulin levels and jump-start weight loss...."

Have you gotten any push back from other doctors, scientists or researchers on your premise that biology, not willpower, controls body weight over the long term?

"I don’t expect any one research study from my group to change the current “calories in, calories out” paradigm. But that paradigm is ripe for change, with its failure to stem the obesity epidemic despite unrelenting effort focused on eating less and moving more. Decades of research suggest, with clear evidence, that body weight is controlled more by biology than willpower. "
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nancyhu...r-david-ludwig/

I realize Dr. Ludwig is not responsible for the tone of this interviewer's article, but couldn't help thinking, "It's as if Gary Taubes never wrote a book!" I suppose a Harvard professor will be more influential in some circles, however.

(I have to admit, insulin as Miracle Gro for fat cells is pretty good. )
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 15:45
nurse1946-Donna

Plan: Low CarbV70, Low Cal.
Stats: 242/221/176 Female 5'9"
BF:enough ;-)
Progress: 32%

I bought the book for my kindle and read through it right quick. It seems confusing, he says eat all you want first phrase and you add carbs back kinda reminds me of Dr. Atkins books... I don't mind eating high fat but if I do I have to count the calories other than that I'm sticking to the ketogenic diet for health benefits and weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 15:49

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Read the first part of the book and enjoyed it. I don't know if I will even read the diet part because 100 to 130 carb in the induction phase is a little to much for me. I like his science and the writing style but for now I will stick with keto.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 17:02

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks Jey. I still receive emails from Anthony Colpo on various stuffs! I recently noticed he was attacking Dr Ludwig, and I was wondering why he's taken aim at this guy -- oh here it is, I copied it below. It's sad about Colpo, well at least now he's leaving Eades alone.

Quote:
Sweet Stupidity (Part 2): The Bitter Truth About Robert Lustig’s Anti-Sugar Claims

Thanks to a viral YouTube video, a best-selling book, and countless media appearances, Robert Lustig has become a widely-quoted and highly influential anti-sugar commentator. Which is a pity, because most of what he says is complete garbage:

http://anthonycolpo.com/sweet-stupi...i-sugar-claims/
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 17:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Both in involved with pediatrics, endocrinology and obesity, but Robert Lustig at UCSF and David Ludwig at Harvard/Boston Children's.
Here's Another good podcast with the East coast version:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/dr-...not-enough-272/

Like JL, I marveled at how Ludwig only once acknowledged a few nameless studies before him, and seemed to use the "it's not your fault, it's the carbs fault" as his own brilliant saying. And Asprey feed his ego by never once challenging with a mention of Atkins, Taubes, Westman and long list of others. He appears to get a pass because finally someone from Harvard points the finger at carbs.

Quote:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

He has a symptom tracker on his website: http://drdavidludwig.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-07-16 at 05:02.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 17:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Like JL, I marveled at how Ludwig only once acknowledged a few nameless studies before him, and seemed to use the "it's not your fault, it's the carbs fault" as his own brilliant saying. And Asprey feed his ego by never once challenging with a mention of Atkins, Taubes, Westman and long list of others. He appears to get a pass because finally someone from Harvard points the finger at carbs.

I agree, of course, that not acknowledging all the people who have been advocating low carb for a long time just isn't right especially since there is research that demonstrates its efficacy. Dr Westman comes to mind and Phinney and Volek to name 2 more.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 18:23

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

That's very disappointing that Taubes is not cited. So many - from Nina Teicholz to Dr Fung - have acknowledged how reading Taubes changed their whole mindset. I can't imagine that Ludwig would not be well aware of him.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 21:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Ah...but Gary is "just" a science writer. With a master's in applied physics, not in biochemistry, you see.

So to many medical professionals, he doesn't have the credentials to be "influential" in thought about diet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 00:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Whenever I decide that I am not going to spend a penny extra on books something comes around that I can't resist.Jean
Yeah, I just bought a used copy from Amazon.