Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:45

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 225/218/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Another question - re. carbs

Schwarzbein says to never eat a carb by itself - I'm wondering whether she means to eat protein AND fat with the carb (such as when it's a snack) or whether it's protein OR fat with the carb. I'm on her lowest version, since I'm overweight & am just starting and have a lot of healing to do. thanks!

ZZ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 22:03

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

a lot of protein has fat naturally in it so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I have, for example, 1/2 an apple, I eat a piece of string cheese with it. That has protein and fat. I use the mozzerella cheese like she says. Or I'll have a serving of almond butter with the 1/2 apple, etc. I had lost 53 pounds using the plan and felt absolutely wonderful.

hope this helps. sorry I didn't see the post sooner to answer you.

Ann
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 01:11

Plan: CEA-HOW
Stats: 272/219/156 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

I just re-read the book and she basically talks about making each meal "a block" of carbs/fat/ protein, with lower carbs if you need more of the "healing" plan. She's not really specific about exactly how much fat to eat every day, but if you just eat full fat dairy, lean meats, some nuts and fish oil you'd probably be doing pretty good as far as fat. There is a list of snacks in the book for the healing plan and it's all carbs combined with a protein and sometimes a little fat. The snacks Ann mentioned are some of my favorites. I also like tofu "tuna" salad on nut thin crackers---they're gluten free crackers made using nut meal instead of flour, pretty yummy and portable.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 08:33

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 225/218/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for your thoughts - I guess when I asked about needing both protein & fat w/ a snack, I was specifically thinking about popcorn, whether just adding some butter is enough or should I eat a bit of cheese with it as well.

BTW, I'm REALLY loving this food plan - I used to have a lot of sweet cravings but it's true when she says the extra fat makes me more satiated - look ma no cravings! Also my mood is incredibly better - and I'm losing weight!

I was surprised to be losing weight, but when I think about it, I guess I'm not as damaged as I thought I was - I really haven't done a lot of yo-yo dieting and also I've been eating mostly real home-cooked foods for years, it's just that many times I would add binges of junk food as well.

But you know many people just do not believe me about calories and fat - carbs too! I'm not going to argue with them, it's too bad though

Happy in schwarzbein land!