Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 07:20

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%
Default The Wheat Gluten Diet

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...at_gluten_.html

My husband is a vegetarian, so this article interested him. I am a carnivore, so we eat almost opposite, but for veggies.

Maybe this article can help broaden the dining choices for other vegetarians.
Didi

Last edited by trusting : Sun, Jan-29-12 at 10:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 08:23

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I would read the book Wheat belly first, gluten is one of the foods everyone should avoid.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 09:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I feel like I fell into a time machine just then.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 10:41

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%

This post was meant for vegetarian low carbers, which is why it's posted in that section, but paleo and atkins folks, thanks for chiming in!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 07:01

Plan: Atkins vegetarian
Stats: 138/127/122 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 69%

Thank you trusting, its always nice to get some new ideas. I have tried it from some of the Asian shops near me and it is a better texture than tofu, but slightly higher in carbs. I imagine making it as the article describes would be almost all carbs - any ideas?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy80
I imagine making it as the article describes would be almost all carbs - any ideas?

No, vital wheat gluten is 13% carb by weight, 75% protein: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...nd-pasta/7738/2

So it's a pretty good trade-off, imo. It also has a good amino acid profile (high in methionine, low in lysine) to balance out legumes (high in lysine, low in methionine). Most vegetarians and vegans don't have to worry about protein combining (it's mostly myth) because they get abundant methionine from all the grains they eat (especially wheat and rice - which is why rice and beans and hummus and pita make a "complete protein"). But if you're low-carbing, chances are that you could be getting methionine in smaller amounts (because of avoiding or minimizing grains), so a little gluten in the diet would be good.

Seitan is also delicious. This blog (http://speciesistvegan.wordpress.co.../seitan-recipe/) has a really good recipe that gives details about how to do different flavor variations. I really like the variety with nutritional yeast (and it's so good for you!).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian CAD
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm obsessed with wheat gluten even though I know gluten is considered unhealthy even amongst those without celiac disease because it can have a gut inflammatory effect. But i can't help it. I find that i've grown accustomed to its taste. I grew up on a traditional Chinese diet so meat was seldom and now I can barely tolerate the taste and texture of real meat. So wheat gluten is a life send because it makes me feel full due to the high protein content but without the super dry meaty taste/texture.

Though i'm starting to get worried, the more I hear how gluten can have cancer and age promoting effects. I do notice that after going low carb and relying heavily on seitan, my thinking has started to fog and my skin is losing elasticity. I'm not sure if this is all in my head though. Any reassurance out there about wheat gluten is much appreciated.