Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:02

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Talking to buy or not to buy?.. a bathroom scale..opinions?

Hello everyone..
I have a little dilemma, it may be a weird or stupid question to ask, but I really need some opinions. Is it helpful to have a scale at home? if I buy one which one is a good one? digital? or the other kind?

Thanks for reading?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

For myself, I would not want one. I'm the kind of person who would be on that scale ever hour on the hour and a few times in between. If I don't have it I won't be able to be so obsessive.

The other thing, is that the usual bathroom scales are accurate to a point, but they can't match the accuracy of a balance beam scale, and even those can be a little off.

I am going to weigh myself at the gym once a week. I know their scale is accurate, they have it tested and calibrated frequently. And I can't get to it every hour.

As far as being the most accurate scale to buy, I would weigh myself where I know the scale is accurate, like a doctors office and then rush over to a place where they have a good selection and then try them all. The one that comes closest to your true weight after getting on and off it a few times, would probably be the one to buy.

slowday

Last edited by slowday : Wed, Jan-15-03 at 17:58.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:00
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have a Health-O-Meter digital scale that I bought at Target for less than $30. It is very consistent on the level hardwood floor in my bedroom. I can get on and off it, and move it around, and it gives me the same weight within one-half pound -- not bad for an inexpensive scale. It is much less consistent on the uneven tile floor in my bathroom; when I move it around the bathroom it fluctuates by a few pounds. I think inexpensive scales need a very level surface and the bathroom is not always best.

The scale does consistently tell me I weigh a few pounds more than the doctor's scale or the YMCA scale tells me, but I always like being pleasantly surprised when I weigh less on other scales. I'm more interested in the direction of change than the absolute number I weigh, so the difference of a few pounds doesn't bother me as long as it is consistent from day-to-day. (I post my weight using my bathroom scale.)

However, your bigger question is whether or not having a bathroom scale will make you get obsessed by the numbers. You're the only person who can answer that. I don't get obsessed by the number on the scale, but I know there are lots of folks on this forum who do. If my weight goes up by a pound or two, I just figure it is normal fluctuation and don't worry about it. If going up a pound or two is going to upset you, you're probably better off getting weighed less frequently and not having a scale at home.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:22

BF:
Smile

Hi Liz and Slowday!!
Thanks for replying to my post. I think that it is best for me to just go into the gym and weigh myself there, that way it also gives me a reason to go to the gym I joined!
Thanks both of you
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:24

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 371/194/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi,
I have afew scales around my house, including an upright balance scale, and i just bought a new one. A Body and Fat Analyzer, it's pretty cool actually. My weight flucuates from one min to the next, but even if i am up afew pounds, i know it will be back down the next day or so. My biggest test for my weight loss is how i am feeling, as long i am feeling better, that's all that matters. Those are just numbers to me.

Toni

Last edited by CanadianT : Thu, Jan-16-03 at 12:26.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:28

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post To scale or not to scale...

I vote for buying a scale. But with that, I recommend not being a slave to it and that you also get out the measuringtape and take measurements about once a month. Frankly, that's also about how often I would weigh in...

And for joining a gym!

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:31

BF:

OOPS!! I forgot I don't have a gym membership anymore I passed it on to my brother. Oh well I guess I will buy a scale after all but I'll tell my husband to hide it and only take it out once a week so I can weigh myself!!
Good day!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:58

Stats: 437/???/200
BF:69%
Progress: 0%
Post Toni!!!!

Wow, everytime I look at your weight loss and wow you are an inspiration....great stuff.......
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:52

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I think a scale is good to have around. In the beginning, I was on and off it all of the time. I was hoping some magic scale fairy would come along and magically I would drop 20lbs in a day.

Now, I go on once every few days. My scale is a cheap Target (Stark) designed digital scale. I weigh myself naked before i jump in the shower in the morning. Each time I go to the doctor and get weighed I am a couple of pounds less with all of my clothes on. So, I kind of like the fact that one of these scales is off. I focus less on the actual digit (ok, maybe not, after all I did include the .5 in my current weight) and I focus more on my clothes.

If you jump on and off the scale 100 times a day in the beginning, don't beat yourself up over it. I think its just natural. Eventually, that habit will wear off. But if it doesn't, you could always put the scale on a big block of wood and then you would be doing step aerobics. Sorry, that is my lame attempt at humor!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:55

BF:

Thanks BigMamma,
I have been so overweight all my life, and i feel like i am finally starting to live it now. When i was 470lbs, i couldn't walk from one room to the next without getting tired, and now i have so much energy. When your at your top weight, it's so hard to imagine what it will be like when you loose all those added pounds (or most of em in my case), but trust me, it's wonderful. It took me awhile to find the low carb lifestyle, and it has worked for me. I can sense your READY and committed to this lifestlye, and you will learn how wonderful it feels to be thiner.

Toni
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:24

BF:
Exclamation Toni & Theresa!!

One word: WOW!!
Congratulations to both of you, like I've said before, stories like yours are an inspiration to me
Now about the scale, I will buy one and I will try my best not to go too crazy with the numbers.
Thanks for replying to my post
Good night!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:29

BF:
Post Toni

I know just what you mean about being tired, I feel as if I ran a marathon all day, the extra lbs and the baby have taken a hold on me, but I know that I can do it. It may take me some time to get down to my goal, but every lost pound is a step in the right direction.
I want to have that energy you talk about, I want to be able to do so many things that I can't do now...
Well thanks again for responding to my post and have a good night.
can I ask how long it has taken you to get this far?

night!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:45

BF:

Hi Luisa,
I have been low carb'ing for about 2 years now. It's my WOF. I look back when i started my journey, i really never thought i would ever get under 400lbs. And here i am approaching 200lbs. It can be done! Just keep trying and you'll get to your goal!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:49

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

WOW! CanidianT I am so impressed. I have read many of your post and you are an inspiration. You are truely a success story and I just love the knowledge you share! Thanks!

Theresa
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:00

BF:

Thanks Theresa,
I really wish i knew about this forum when i started to LC. I have been spending alot of time reading posts and relating to most of them. I think this forum is wonderful, all the feedback and support i am getting is great. And if i can help inspire others by my weightloss, then that is more than i could have ever asked for.

Toni