Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 15:46

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisymaiz
I can't control what they do, nor do I want to. I can only control what I do.

But we control what they do, we have many standards and regulations keeping corporations and their advertising in check. The only thing that stopped them from marketing cigarettes as healthy and cool was the social will and legislation to control them.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:00
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I doubt people would be pulling apart hamburgers and fries orders. They'd just be ordering something off the regular menu for the kid. There is a dollar menu. You can get a hamburger, cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, chicken burger, small fries, small soda, ice cream, and a few other things (each $1) off that menu. There is no serious hardship in not having a happy meal. It is little more than cute convenient packaging. I don't think not having it would make any real difference. If they put that into law, and even the slightest difference shows up, I bet it would be a result of forcing parents to remember, before they turned in that drive-through, that the gov't thought junk food was bad enough for kids to kill that item off, which might make them reconsider.

And eat as-bad or worse junk food at home instead.

PJ
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
In reality, you know, if people would get the freakin TV's out of the dominant position in their households, about 90% of all marketing to children would vanish.

From 2003
A third of all 0-6 year-olds (36%) have a TV in their bedroom, more than one in four (27%) have a VCR or DVD, one in ten have a video game player, and 7% have a computer. Thirty percent of 0-3 year-olds have a TV in their room, and 43% of 4-6 year-olds do.

Many children are growing up in homes where the TV is an ever-present companion: two-thirds (65%) live in homes where the TV is left on at least half the time or more, even if no one is watching, and one-third (36%) live in homes where the TV is on “always” or “most of the time” (the latter group are considered “heavy” TV households.)

Approximate number of studies examining TV's effects on children: 4,000
Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children: 3.5
Number of minutes per week that the average child watches television: 1,680
Percentage of day care centers that use TV during a typical day: 70
Percentage of parents who would like to limit their children's TV watching: 73
Percentage of 4-6 year-olds who, when asked to choose between watching TV and spending time with their fathers, preferred television: 54
Hours per year the average American youth spends in school: 900 hours
Hours per year the average American youth watches television: 1500

PJ hit the nail on the head. Further, if the TV wasn't on for kids to watch then it wouldn't matter whether kid-centric marketing continued.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:04
Every moment is NOW.

I might add that a walk through the grocery freezer section might be educational. Basically, everything that McDonald's serves, and tons of stuff they don't but that is equivalent or worse, is in the frozen section, and you can just nuke it. The sales on this stuff is staggering.

I guess the reality is that the problem is so pervasive, and yet the medical system is still so badly affected by medical school and medical facilities being funded by food/chem corporations, that it seems rather unlikely that anything large scale can be done that would seriously improve the situation.

I think small-scale it could be, but of course, only with medical advice that isn't harmful which most the current schtick is. And the world isn't very small-scale anymore.

PJ
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:08
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz

I bet the numbers are way higher now, too.

PJ

#81   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:11

Plan: just no carbs
Stats: 203/182/149 Male 66.5 inches
BF:31/25/15
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Read again. I didn't say to raise grain prices - I said to remove subsidies that artificially lower them. Yes, I'm aware that grains sit at the bottom of our protein food chain, and that removing subsidies may increase prices on meat. That's okay from a number of perspectives, since the subsidies also make import of less expensive alternatives impossible. There are other excellent reasons to remove grain (and sugar) subsidies, but the fact that we are subsidizing the very thing that makes our society obese seems counterproductive, even negligent to me.

Remove the subsidies and the price of grain goes up. No way around it. Here in Iowa, what a farmer gets per bushel of corn raised is less than what it costs for him to grow it. So no subsidy, no crop, unless the price goes up. And as the price of corn goes up then the

As for grain being at the bottom of the proetein chain, it is at the top but in the form of animal protein. Nearly every animal we consume is dependent upon cheap corn for food. And raise the price of that and the cost of the end product will go up and carbs will still be cheaper. Remember less than 3% of the beef consumed in this country comes from grass fed beef.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwhere
Yes, Mcdonalds is mostly crap food. But why are you all acting like they are Nazi's for advertising food to children? Ronald Mcdonald has been around for how long?

Forget it. The zealots are out in full swing.

We are all "acting like Nazis"** - thanks for proving Godwin's law within 65 posts.

Anyway, Ronald himself was invented in 1963(ish) as part of a TV advertising campaign. ( source )

he looked like this:

The first Happy Meal was sold in 1979. (more information about the happy meal here )

**speaking of which

#83   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

New plan to cut childhood obesity

Fast food restaurants which give away toys with children's meals could be banned from using such marketing ploys in Liverpool.
The move, suggested by one of the city council's scrutiny committees, is part of a series of initiatives to help tackle childhood obesity in Liverpool.

Restaurants like McDonalds, which offer free toys with their children's meals, could suffer if a by-law is introduced.

A McDonald's spokeswoman said the firm followed advertising codes of practice.

She added that McDonald's strongly rejected any claims that it marketed so-called 'junk food' to children.

Liverpool City Council's Childhood Obesity Scrutiny Committee is behind the idea to implement a city-wide ban on fast food outlets offering free toys with children's meals.

'Stringent principles'

The idea, which is still in its very early stages, was inspired by a similar scheme in Germany where the promotion of fast food outlets using free toys was banned.

A spokesman for Liverpool City Council said: "We have a number of strategies running across the city to help reduce childhood obesity and are looking to see whether it is possible to prevent fast food restaurants from directly appealing to children through free toy offers."

A spokeswoman for McDonald's said: "McDonald's is not able to respond directly to the proposals discussed by Liverpool City Council's Childhood Obesity Scrutiny Group, as there is little detail to the proposal at present.

"McDonald's is a responsible advertiser. We adhere to all current Codes of Practice and have our own equally stringent principles for marketing, which in many cases exceed current regulations and guidelines."

She added that the average Happy Meal was 40% lower in salt, 28% lower in sugar and 21% lower in saturated fat than it was five years ago.

She said the firm had put animated characters such as Shrek, Scooby Doo and bees from Bee Movie on a variety of food and drink items including fruit bags, carrot sticks and milk.

The scrutiny committee is to meet next month where it will decide whether to make a recommendation to the council.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/...ide/7263106.stm
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:28

BF:

This story says it all...

The gist of it:

Quote:
Any food packaged by McDonald's tastes better to most preschoolers, says a study that powerfully demonstrates how advertising can trick the taste buds of young children.

Even carrots, milk and apple juice tasted better to kids if it was wrapped in the familiar packaging of the Golden Arches. The study had youngsters sample identical McDonald's foods in name-brand or unmarked wrappers. The unmarked foods always lost the taste test.

Ahhh, so easy to brainwash the young...

#85   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:37

Plan: just no carbs
Stats: 203/182/149 Male 66.5 inches
BF:31/25/15
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
It is negligent, borderline criminal IMO. There are no subsidies for broccoli, or pastured animals for that matter. All those millions of acres of corn (that used to be, and should be prairie) could be better utilized for grazing livestock. So many problems could be solved with our free sunlight.

People have been so brainwashed by the food industry that they don't even know what food is anymore. Couple that with nefarious (follow the money) public health recommendations and we're screwed.
I am pro freedom, pro capitalist, pro America- but if people are to be given a choice they should at least know the truth before they make their decision. We need to be educating our people on the right foods, not legislating a bunch of bans on the (supposedly) wrong foods.

Ask any rancher and they will tell you that if Americans want grass fed beef than they will surely provide it - but 3 years to bring a cow to market for grass fed vs. 150 days for grain fed is going to result in a much more expensive product. And americans want only things that are cheap. I personally eat grass fed beef and pay $5-6 a lb for ground beef and 8 a lb for round tip roasts. Steaks will go for 8-14 a lb. And I doubt many people are willing to pay those prices.

As for education, good luck when people who read USA Today and watch TV news consider themselves informed. Hell, look at college today, Introductory Logic is no longer a required course . And forget about science.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:52
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Fast food restaurants which give away toys with children's meals could be banned from using such marketing ploys in Liverpool.
The move, suggested by one of the city council's scrutiny committees, is part of a series of initiatives to help tackle childhood obesity in Liverpool.

Are they also going to legislate away cold cereal sold as part of a nutritionally complete breakfast because it too has toys in it? Or is that OK because it's grain?
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:54

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I agree. Please. You can't legislate everything.

I am with you, Elleh. You can not legislate everything. You should have freedom to chose what to eat. It's not McDonald's fault people are obese. People we make our own choices. This is ridiculous...what's next? What if they decided low carb was wrong and all the wonderful LC products were banned and books pulled from shelves?
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:54
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Ask any rancher and they will tell you that if Americans want grass fed beef than they will surely provide it - but 3 years to bring a cow to market for grass fed vs. 150 days for grain fed is going to result in a much more expensive product. And americans want only things that are cheap. I personally eat grass fed beef and pay $5-6 a lb for ground beef and 8 a lb for round tip roasts. Steaks will go for 8-14 a lb. And I doubt many people are willing to pay those prices.

Find yourself a local farmer and order in bulk (split quarter or half) -- we do that and pay $3.85 a pound cut weight which includes everything from ground beef to filet mignon to everything in between and soup bones too! (grass-fed, 100% pastured, organic too)
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 17:24

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Find yourself a local farmer and order in bulk (split quarter or half) -- we do that and pay $3.85 a pound cut weight which includes everything from ground beef to filet mignon to everything in between and soup bones too! (grass-fed, 100% pastured, organic too)

Absolutely! Local is the way to go. My farmer is 45 minutes away, raises 12 heads per 12-18 mo, and charges me around .85 cents/pound before processing. I just picked up my half last Thurs and split it with my friend.

The cows don't get that big in 12- 18 mo, My cow was 1160 lbs at slaughter.

It really is not that expensive. Even after the processing fees I ended up with 30 pounds ground beef, all kinds of steaks, the fat from around the kidneys, toungue, liver, soup bones, roasts... ribs... what am I forgetting?
I paid 246.50, or 3.10/lb.

Off topic, but I have to say that it's been a great experience. The farmer is truly excited and proud of his animals. I'll never go back to feedlot.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 17:27
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Read again, Frankly. I did not say YOU or anyone else HERE was acting like Nazis.