Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default newbie with supplements questions

Hello fellow low carbers I am new to this site but have been on the Atkins diet for a couple months now.

I take one multi vitamin every day. I also take one glucosamine capsule 3 times per day for joint health. I take 1 teaspoon of Flax oil 3 times per day.

I also take a product made by Twinlab called Cellmins. It is a combination of calcium, magnesium, & potassium. It says to take 3 capsules 3 times per day. A 3 capsule serving contains equal amounts(200mg) of each mineral. It states each 3 capsule serving contains 20% daily value of calcium, 50% daily value of magnesium, and 6% daily value of potassium.

My question is how much of this Cellmins product should I take? I exercise vigorously 6 days per week including cardio and weightlifting and sitting in the dry sauna so I sweat alot. I do drink alot of water but probably should drink a little more. I generally get feeling very fatigued in the middle of my workday and really have to focus to get to the gym. I was referred to this product from a weightlifter in the vitamin store but would sure like to hear some more opinions on these cellmins capsules, specifically how much to take considerring my low carb Atkins diet and my exercising.

I sure would appreciate any information on the supplements I am presently taking and also some suggestions on some supplements I should be taking. Thanks

Last edited by toughguy : Mon, Aug-26-02 at 21:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 07:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Daily Reference Intakes (DRI) recommend the following daily intakes for calcium :
  • 1300 mg for ages 9-18
  • 1000 mg for adults aged 19-50
  • 1200 mg for older adults
  • 1500 mg for postmenopausal women not taking hormone replacement therapy

The Daily Value for magnesium is 400mg per day, but requirements may be elevated somewhat by stressors such as exercise and when taking calcium supplements for bone building or prevention of bone loss.

Your question on Potassium I answered in another post, here

A multi and cal/mag are pretty much the 'basics' that everyone should be taking, IMO. Potassium is more a LC supplement and is also a necessary one, up until Maintenance. The only suggestion I would make would be to add some anti-oxidants to your intake. Vit C & E, Beta Carotene, Green Tea, Selenium. You can usually pick up an 'anti-oxidant' combination pill, or the basics (Vit C&E) for little $. Again, all of these and their Daily Recommended Values are available for review at www.supplementwatch.com

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks Nat. I was alittle concerned because the amounts in the Cellmins were equally the same. After further evaluation I figured out that I am also getting alot of calcium from my diet which helps get a closer 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. I also bought some extra potassium tablets to give that a higher boost with all my exercising. I will look for that antioxidant multi pill and throw that in the mix too. Thank you much for that in depth response.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yer welcome, Toots

Be sure that the calcium and the magnesium are chelated if at all possible - something like a citrate or malate (you don't want carbonate from oyster shells - it's really hard on the stomach).

N