Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 38%/13%/8%
BF:13%
Progress: 174%
Default Can one eat Cheese on a CKD diet

I have read that you can eat cheese while on a Keto of CKD diet, but my thoughts are Cheese has Lactose and can't the Latose keep you out of Ketosis???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 18:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default well ...

I eat cheese during the keto phase, and it doesn't knock me out of ketosis. I don't use too much of it though ... a little here and there ...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 21:09

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I have about 2oz of Crackerbarrel swiss cheese in my eggs in hte morning, and drink protien powder and heavy cream(that has lactose right) and my ketostix have not told me anything other than moderate to large amounts of ketones.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 05:18

Default oh yeah

I forgot about the cream ... LOL ... I have 2 tablespoons in each of my shakes each day (3 shakes) and that doesn't bump me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lactose can keep you out of ketosis, just like any other sugar can... but it's the amount that matters. Cheese is primarily fat and some protein, just as cream is primarily fat. The amount of sugar in either, in the form of lactose, is tiny (.7g in your average ounce of hard cheese and .5g in a tbsp of whipping cream). A low fat cheese or milk product will have more sugar (lactose) and less fat.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:31

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

I've actually been wondering about what kind of fats are found in cheese. I know that they are mainly saturated, but what about chain length? This coming on the heels of the MCT debate makes for an interesting thought - saturated fats ought to be very good material for ketone production because they are broken down faster than unsaturated (no double C=C bonds to mess with) and quickly create an excess of acetyl-CoA from ketones are made. I've noticed that sometimes eating saturated fat gives me a burst of energy that unsaturated fat doesn't. Anyways, I'll stop rambling...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:24

Default Cheese!

I recall from a while ago that hard cheeses do contain CLA, but not sure about MCT.

I'd have to look into chain length ...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:44

BF:

I've been spending a lot of time browsing the 'journals' lately - looked a little to the left and found this

Survey of the conjugated linoleic acid contents of dairy products. Journal of Dairy Science 1995 Nov;78(11):2358-65 Lin H, Boylston TD, Chang MJ, Luedecke LO, Shultz TD.

The objective of this research was to determine the content of conjugated linoleic acid, an anticarcinogen, in dairy products. Fifteen cheeses, three fermented dairy products (other than cheeses), and four fluid milk products (two brands for each product) were included in the survey. Total lipids, fatty acids, protein, moisture, and titratable acidity were also measured to determine the relationship between the content of these constituents and conjugated linoleic acid content. The conjugated linoleic acid content of cheeses ranged from 3.59 to 7.96 mg/g of lipid. Blue, Brie, Edam, and Swiss cheeses had significantly higher conjugated linoleic acid content than the other cheeses. Sharp Cheddar cheeses tended to have higher conjugated linoleic acid content than the medium Cheddar cheeses, but the increase was not significant. The conjugated linoleic acid content of the other fermented dairy products ranged from 3.82 to 4.66 mg/g of lipid, and cultured buttermilk had the highest content. The conjugated linoleic acid contents of four fluid milks ranged from 3.38 to 6.39 mg/g of lipid and were not significantly different from one another. Multiple linear regressions of conjugated linoleic acid content and the total fatty acid content indicated a relationship between conjugated linoleic acid content and the content of precursors and intermediates of conjugated linoleic acid formation, including linoleic and oleic acids.

Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University, Pullman 99164-6376, USA.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:51

BF:

Also, interestingly enough as it relates to the first question asked in this thread, a study in the Journal of American Dieticians Assoc "Major fatty acids and proximate composition of dairy products" found :
Quote:
No lactose was detected in the ripened cheeses. Mean fatty acid patterns for the different cheeses were not appreciably different from each other. The butyric acid (4:0) in the cheeses showed the greatest sample variation. The cheeses did not contain appreciably different proportions of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 14:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Also, interestingly enough as it relates to the first question asked in this thread, a study in the Journal of American Dieticians Assoc "Major fatty acids and proximate composition of dairy products" found :

Nat

Can you give me some examples of Hard Cheeses, I know that is stupid question but, I am not sure if that includes monterey jack and all the cracker barel type stuff, are all of those considered hard cheeses???
And very good point about low fat cheeses having more lactose I never thought of that, I almost bought low fat cheese, good thing I didn't.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:02

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Also, interestingly enough as it relates to the first question asked in this thread, a study in the Journal of American Dieticians Assoc "Major fatty acids and proximate composition of dairy products"

I've just stumbled into the same article on PubMed and was headed to this board to post on the low lactose levels and see if anyone could get the full text.

No info on chain length of fatty acids found in cheese yet.

Today I got some no-salt cheddar (snapped off my tuna-and-mayonnaise streak for a day), which is loaded with potassium instead. Tastes.... different! Goes down with Sauvignon Blanc aiight!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46

I've just stumbled into the same article on PubMed and was headed to this board to post on the low lactose levels and see if anyone could get the full text.

Today I got some no-salt cheddar (snapped off my tuna-and-mayonnaise streak for a day), which is loaded with potassium instead. Tastes.... different! Goes down with Sauvignon Blanc aiight!

So Mayo is low carb too???
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46

It seems that the fatty acid profile for cheeses varies (and can be varied through manipulation). Whether a cheese is made from sheep or cow milk will effect the profile and what the sheep/cows are fed will also effect the profile.

I found this pdf file giving a breakdown on both sheep and cow milk fatty acids: Dairy Pipeline - the table is on page 4.

Chevi, the 'technical definition' of a hard cheese is one with 26-50% humidity/moisture and includes Cheddars, parmasan, and swiss.

Mayo is a LC food (it's mostly fat) - you can find a pretty decent list of LC foods that are recommended for a CKD at: http://www.cythrawl.org/ketosis/howto/cancanteat.shtml

HTH
Nat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Quote:

It seems that the fatty acid profile for cheeses varies (and can be varied through manipulation). Whether a cheese is made from sheep or cow milk will effect the profile and what the sheep/cows are fed will also effect the profile.

I found this pdf file giving a breakdown on both sheep and cow milk fatty acids: Dairy Pipeline - the table is on page 4.

Chevi, the 'technical definition' of a hard cheese is one with 26-50% humidity/moisture and includes Cheddars, parmasan, and swiss.

Mayo is a LC food (it's mostly fat) - you can find a pretty decent list of LC foods that are recommended for a CKD at: http://www.cythrawl.org/ketosis/howto/cancanteat.shtml

HTH
Nat

You are the best !!!!!! thank you, I have almost all of my questions answered about cheese, but one last one, if a cheese has more than 50 % humidity than it is not a hard cheese, and does that mean the less humidity the less lactose??
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:44

BF:

From what I have discovered from a year of LCing is that it is the fat content that mitigates the carb (and in the case of dairy, lactose) content. Higher fat tends to mean lower carbs (as with cream and milk). The soft cheeses (gouda, brie, camembert) tend to be higher in fat and lower in carbs. But we are talking minutia here (.3g for an ounce of gouda and .6g for an ounce of brick/cheddar).

Nat