Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:22

Plan: Schwarzbein - since 10/6/02
Stats: 265/242/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question Seeking Barfi recipe (East Indian dessert)

I was hoping someone might have a low carb Barfi recipe? I'd especially like one for Pistachio Barfi, but any variety will do in a pinch.

Thanks,
~Isolde

PS - - Karen... I noticed you have some other Indian recipes posted, and I know you are from an area with numerous East Indian sweet shops, and I know you are an excellent chef... do you have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Now I'm curious, too, Isolde.

Any chance you can post an 'original' pistachio barfi recipe and we can take a crack at modifying it?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:16

Plan: Schwarzbein - since 10/6/02
Stats: 265/242/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default BARFI Recipes

Hi Judi! Sorry for slow response, I was out of town for Thanksgiving.

In my opinion, barfi is a lot like fudge (without the chocolate). The texture reminds me of old fashioned fudge (the kind made without marshmallow cream). Dense, sweet little bars, with a slightly crumbly texture.

When I asked at my favorite Indian sweet shop in Vancouver BC, they said their barfi was mostly made with milk or cream, which was condensed down by cooking.

Below are several barfi recipes. One of the problems I have encountered is that there are hundreds of recipes for barfi, and they aren't just "variations", often they are utterly different from one another, with completely different ingredients. I think this might be due to regional variations in cuisine.

These are the four that seemed the most likely candidates to me. Any input or assistance in modifying these recipes to be low carb would be greatly appreciated!

Barfi Badam (Almond Cream Sweetmeat)

4 c Milk
3/4 c Sugar
125 g Blanched almonds, pulverised
In blender, or 1 cup ground
Almonds
Pinch of ground cardamom
2 T Blanched pistachio nuts
Edible silver leaf-optional

In a heavy-based saucepan or large frying pan boil the milk over fairly high heat, stirring all the time, until it is reduced and very thick. Add sugar and stir for 10 minutes on low heat. Add the ground almonds and continue to cook and stir until the mixture comes away from sides and base of pan in one mass. Remove from heat, sprinkle cardamom over and mix well. Turn on to a greased plate. Smooth top with back of butter spoon. Cool slightly, mark in diamond shapes with knife and decorate with halved pistachio nuts and silver leaf.

Before it is quite firm cut with sharp knife along the markings then leave to get quite cold before separating into pieces.

BARFI

This is a very easy-to-make dessert that is very popular in North India.

Ingredients
2 packets (1 quart each) of CARNATION milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 a 16 oz. packet HOOD heavy cream
1/2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
2 tbsp pistachios, powdered
1 tbsp almonds, chopped

Combine all the ingredients except the nuts in
a large microwaveable dish. Heat on high heat in the microwave in repeats of 2 minutes till the mixture feels thick to the touch. Depending on your microwave, this can take
anywhere between 6 to 10 minutes. The mixture will rise as it heats and you have to be careful not to let it burn or overflow out of the dish. Take a nonstick pan and grease it with some ghee. Spread a thick layer (about 1 1/2") of this mixture on it. Immediately sprinkle the nuts evenly on the mixture. Let cool for about 1-2 hrs. Cut into diamond shape or square pieces. These can be refrigerated in an airtight container for months.

Barfi Pista (Creamed Milk Sweetmeat)

1 lb powdered whole milk
1 1/2 cups water
4 oz sugar
2 oz ground pistachio
slivered pistachios
4 cardamon seeds

Sift the powdered milk. Gradually mix in the water, bring to the boil and cook over a moderate heat, stirring continuously, until
reduced to a very thick paste. Make a thick syrup with the sugar and a little water, and add to the creamed milk. Add ground pistachios and stir thoroughly. Cook again until it is a thick paste. Turn into square shallow tins or dishes, spreading about
2 inches thick. Leave to stand for 8 hours. Press into it roughly broken cardamom seeds and slivered pistachio. Cut into diamond
shapes to serve.

Pistachio Barfi

2 cups powdered milk, sifted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
2 Tbsp. rose water
2 tsp. powdered cardamom

In a saucepan combine the sugar with 2 1/2 cups of water and boil, stirring regularly until a thread is formed when a fork is lifted from the pan. Add the rose water and powdered milk and stir until thickened. Reduce to a low flame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is quite thick (about 3 minutes). Stir in the cardamom and pistachio nuts and transfer to a well buttered 9 x 9" (23 x 23 cm) cake pan. Let cool, cut into diamond shapes and serve. (Yields about 24).

Thanks!
~Isolde

Last edited by Isolde : Wed, Dec-04-02 at 11:22.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 17:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would start with plain whey protein powder, whey protein concentrate and soya protein isolate and fiddle around with various combinations. As a binder, melted butter and/or cream/water. Then sweetener, pistachios, cardamom, etc.

Karen