Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 23:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Actos vs. Glucophage ???

I was just diagnosed with PCOS.

I am 35 and I want to get into shape and try to resolve some of my other PCOS symptoms before trying to get pregnant again (I have two beautiful children).

I have read ALOT about PCOS on the net. Almost everything points to Glucophage as a miracle treatment.

I went to my Endo today expecting him to prescribe me Glucophage and BC pills.

He prescribe me Actos as his first pick and Avandia (as an back-up if the insurance would not pay for Actos). He said this medications are better than Glucophage -- less side effects.

He told me that weight gain is associated with Actos in diabetics, but that should not apply to me (who is not diabetic) and also on a very low carb diet for the last 3 months. I have lost 20 pounds on the LC diet and I don't want the medication to work against me.

I would appreciate people's thoughts on Actos vs. Glucophage?

Experience with weight gain or loss on Actos?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for BC pills -- I have read that monos are better that tri-pahsics.

Thanks

Lolo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 06:35

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi LoLo

I never heard of it, so I looked it up and found out that actos is a
thiazolidinedione which is similar to a drug called Rezulin ..... Apparently Rezulin has been withdrawn as there were some cases of liver damage.

here's the link to the Diabetes.org

website.http://www.diabetes.org/main/commun.../news/actos.jsp

As I say, I never heard of it, but that seems to be the story. Mightn't be any harm to ask your doctor

Clo
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 20:28

Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you for your response.

Apparently my liver functions are fine for the moment.

I saw my OB the next day efter my Endo prescribed me to Actos.

I told him that from everything I read everyone was using Glucophage. He told me that Glucophage is more known in the public, but he agreed that Actos was a better medication and recommended that I follow the Endos advice.

He also put me on the BP pill Jasmine.

I would really appreciate anyone's experience taking actos.

Thanks

Lolo
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 12:34

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default PCOS diagnosis

Quote:
Originally posted by lolow
I was just diagnosed with PCOS.

I am 35 and I want to get into shape and try to resolve some of my other PCOS symptoms before trying to get pregnant again (I have two beautiful children).

Hi Lolo

I went for an ultrasound this morning to see if I have PCOS. My Dr said that was the best way to test? Anyway.... Even though I have all the symptoms he doesnt think I have it because I have been pregnant twice. I see you have 2 kids and PCOS, so it is possible. I think I will end up at an Endocronologist as well if I am going to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck with the meds, I dont have any experience with that so cant give my opinion. I have also read that tri-phasic are not good for PCOS treatment.

Akiwican
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have been on Glucophage xr for the past 3 months, and I have never had any side effects, plus I have lost weight since being on the med. Not sure of the drug you mentioned since Glucophage xr has been the first and only drug I have been prescribed. I am feeling so much better since taking Glucophage. Before I could not even get out of the house. I could not lose weight at all. Now I have so much more energy and I am not hard on myself as I was before.
Monique
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 19:13

Plan: Low carb low fat
Stats: 155/152/135
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default actos vs. glucophage

I took Glucophage for about a year with funky side effects. I did lose weight with it but you don't want to know the details. Put it this way, nothing I ate stayed long in my stomach, it always came out the opposite way it went in. Ok, sorry. Actos I have been taking about 2 years now with no side effects except maybe a few pounds. Not that much though.
Although I haven't seen my results with Actos w/o BC pills, which I am trying for the first time this month. I don't know if it is helping me ovulate. Without BC pills I don't have a period. We shall see here in a couple of weeks if the Actos is helping my cycles. I am 30 with no children.

Oreosmama (oreo is my baby, CAT)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 23:46

Plan: Will begin South Beach Di
Stats: 213/213/65 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress:
Default Actos versus Metformin

Hello. I was reading an old post about some doctors who prescribe Actos instead of the better known drug Metformin for PCOS and I have a question.

I went to the doctor's office today thinking I would be prescribed the latter but instead was prescribed Actos.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with both drugs and which they prefer? I honestly was looking forward to being prescribed Metformin since it is known to help people lose weight and was a little disappointed not getting a prescription for it.

Instead, I was told I had mild symptoms of PCOS, little bit of hair and a little bit of irregular menses and was suggested I go on Actos along with going on the South Beach Diet. Has anyone been advised the same methods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.