Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 09:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh-oh....Butter Love at first taste! New product right next to Kerry Gold ($3.19).
Cultured, Salted Butter, produced in Brittany, France ($2.99)
Ingredients: Cream, Salt, Lactic Acid Cultures. Doesn't say grass-fed, but how many factory farms are in Brittany? So new, no info on-line.

So does this count as a fermented food? Because if it does my calories will soar.
I also bought a bag of the Organic Carrots in beautiful colors for my first fermenting attempt.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 09:31

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I had never read about cultured butter before. Now I am intrigued and want to try it. Thanks for sharing your find.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I also bought a bag of the Organic Carrots in beautiful colors for my first fermenting attempt.

What type of jar are you going to ferment your carrots in?

I ordered a Fido jar from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. I plan on making a batch of sauerkraut. I want to buy some other size jars and experiment with other vegetables. I am wanting to ferment okra, garlic and jicama to begin with.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 09:52

Check out that Vermont company Jean linked on the Gut thread...it explains how it is made and all the retailers where you can buy Cultured Butter if a TJ is not handy.

I am starting out simple. Found wide-mouth Mason Jars at a thrift store, bought new lids and bands this morning.
I like this carrot and ginger combo so much from the Farmer's Market, this is what will try: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/...ginger-carrots/
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 10:14

BF:

Janet,

I did go to the link Jean provided and found out I can buy the butter at The Fresh Market or Earth Fare. I will be at a Fresh Market this week and I will look for it.

I also want to go to TJ Maxx's while I am in Aiken because they carry Fido jars and I would love some smaller ones to experiment with. I want to ferment garlic, jicama and okra.

Thank you for sharing the ginger carrot recipe. That sounds really good.

If anyone is on Facebook, I have been spending a lot of time on this page, Donna Schwenk's Cultured Food Life. Donna also has an internet site with lots of good information and recipes.

Christmas Kraut sounds so good! I just have to get passed the dried cranberries since I eat low carb. I might just have to make that recipe a holiday treat.

Fido Fermentation is also a FB page, I joined and I am enjoying.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 10:36

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have never been to Trader Joes. The nearest one is 50 miles away. What I do have in town, even within walking distance, is my local food coop, which has its roots in the 60's but has grown into a moderate size grocery store, with a nice new building and plenty of great products.

Jean
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 12:17

New Coconut Milks at Trader Joe's:
Native Forest Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk, both Classic Full fat and Light. http://www.edwardandsons.com/native_shop_coconut.itml
Still carries the Coconut Cream too. Can indicates only a 140 calories and 2g carbs for 1/3 cup, $1.99.

Also a new "Green Dragon Sauce" HOT, less than 1g carb http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/pos...ragon-hot-sauce
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 14:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I wish my local TJ's carried the full-fat coconut milk but all they ever have is "Lite" and they do carry a TJ-branded so-called "coconut cream" but when I looked at the ingredient list it was just regular coconut milk with thickeners added to it, so neither of those are on my TJ list. I do wish it was closer than 35 miles away though as it does carry many things I like and I'd be happy to shop there more often.

At my local shopping center they were starting to clear ground back in the spring, and someone said a Fresh Market was going in there, which I was rather excited about. But then I went on vacation and was away for well over a month, and when I got home it was still just a partially cleared mound of dirt with no sort of activity going on - so certainly no Fresh Market in the near-term future.

Then again it was sometime in 2011 that I read that a Trader Joe's was going to open in Jacksonville in the fall of 2013, and I thought at the time that it seemed like I would have to wait an eternity. Now I've been shopping there on and off for 2 years (35 miles from me as I said, but less than two miles from where my Pastel Society holds its meetings, so I tend to make visits there after my meetings). So a local Fresh Market might still be in my future. (though I'd love another TJ's even more)
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 16:33

Fresh Market is very expensive...it was the butt of a funny advertisement by a local competitor about paying for the classical piano music. Lovely experience, great bakery and candy selection (for the family) and a few specials like the Tuesday ground beef for $2.99...but I drive by the one near my house to go to 3 miles further to TJs.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 18:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Fresh Market is very expensive...it was the butt of a funny advertisement by a local competitor about paying for the classical piano music. Lovely experience, great bakery and candy selection (for the family) and a few specials like the Tuesday ground beef for $2.99...but I drive by the one near my house to go to 3 miles further to TJs.
Yeah, even if they did open a Fresh Market I'm sure I'd still go to Publix most of the time, but it would be nice just to have something really close by for some of the special things that I like there. By the time I pay for gas to and from TJ's (70-mile round trip) I'm sure I could pick up an item or two at Fresh Market (4 mile round trip) - if they actually do ever build one, LOL.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Went to TJ's yesterday and found:

Pork belly

Uncured bacon ends and pieces for a ridiculously low price

Rack of lamb that's ready to pop in the oven and heat (will be Sunday dinner along with a stir fry from the garden--the kale and Swiss chard are out of control)

I love their almond meal for making more hearty stuff, like low carb peanut butter cookies. It's less expensive than almond flour, which works better for more delicate things.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 22:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Beware that Fresh Market imports their beef from Uruguay.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 22:27

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

I don't have a Fresh Market near me, but just out of interest - "beware", why? Uruguayan beef would be all grass fed.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 22:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Because it undercuts domestic cattle raisers. When that happens more and more go out of business and if that trend continues one day we won't have any domestically raised beef.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 22:37

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

I see. And you're right.

Unfortunately, undercutting is exactly what's happening, and more and more people wouldn't eat any beef from cattle reared on genetically modified corn at all, if they had a choice in the matter, or if there was even wider access to grass fed meat at a similar price point to the mass market sold domestic cuts.