Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 281/272/205 Male 68.5 inches
BF:29/28/10
Progress: 12%
Default exercise and hypoglycemic episodes

I was on this diet before. and lost 50 lbs. in 3 months with only a 2 pound muscle loss. However, i strenght gains, and was doing up to 200 pushups and situps on M,W,f as well as running 30 miles a weeks at a 8:30 pace. (10k m-f, i was running to work from school) I know it is possible to this, and im a big boy, between 250 and 203 lbs. at the time. and when i ran i carried a 22 lbs. backpack with my workclothes and school books for the day. My ketones stayed in the trace to small range, and my blood sugar stayed under 50. for more detail onthis read my journal under Jongarcia in H-K. My advice on weight training use the Mike Mentzer H.I.T. method. lift once a week. take your time, go heavy.
i put some details on how i cycled the diet in my journal. run or walk. do something aerobic. if you do pushups, situps etc. do not go into high numbers do like 50 of each thats it. its not necessary to got as high as i did. I cause me to have Hypoglycemic episodes which frankly scared the shit out of me. lol. I didn't know what the episodes where at first. this go round im not doing any weight training my reasons are listed in my journal. but i was following the U.S. Navy seal workout and it really does work.
My best advice is run, or swim, to burn calories, and use H.I.T for str. Besides with H.I.T. you get stronger not bigger. I would rather weight 160 and bench 375 then weigh 250 and bench 375.
i would rather be smaller, and just as strong as the huge guy at the gym. who cant run no where near as far as youll be able to.
the strong smaller guy is better adapted to survival then the huge strong guy.
you need less calories, expend less calories and are faster.
oh by the way i was living off of about 1300 cals a day, 75% cal form fat. and i was never hungry.
good luck.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 15:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Jon, great to see more CKD'ers join us.

What's H.I.T.? I think I've looked it up before, but it evaporated from my mind

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 281/272/205 Male 68.5 inches
BF:29/28/10
Progress: 12%

H.I.T. stands for high intensity training. it goes back to the idea of slow 10 second reps with a 1 second pause at the top of the lift. Mentzer put out a book call Heavy Duty weight training. great book. it starts out with you working every [part of your body on M, W. F. then when you plateau and you will know because of the chart you keep , you take two weeks off and come back but now you lift M, then you would lift twice a week ,when you plateau,you take 2 weeks off and then lift once a week. by then your entire workout is either supersets of leg extension/leg press. or leg extension/squats, or bench/pulldowns, or tricep/deadlifts. really great book. i was lifting once a week, 1 set
to complete failure. if i could do more then 12 reps before failure. i would go up 10%on weight for next workout. if you couldnt do at least 6 reps before failure. it was considered to heavy. all slow reps. i was doing alot of weight especially leg extensions. jumped from 180lbs to 375 lbs in 8 workouts. ( i went up 20% on legs until i hit the 275 lbs, then down to 10% increases)
try and get mike mentzers book Heavy duty training and read it for reference, but read his second one. in my opinion i would just lift once a week. its gonna take just as long with the old routine and i will a long time before you plateau. look it up, great workout.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 16:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Thanks for the info, Jon.

Progressing to a single workout per week sounds very appealing and a time saver from the standard 3 times a week. Especially for streight low-carbers (none-cyclical) where recovery time is longer.

The jump from 180 to 375 lbs. in 8 workouts sounds very impressive.

Wa'il