Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinson/or just low carb/low fat
Stats: 220/210/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Strenuous workouts???

Hi all!
I'm very new here and I have loads of questions....I'm so glad that I found this forum!!!
Anyway, I work out strenuously 4-5 days a week, meaning:
Every day I work out I do at least 1 hour of cardio on various machines, keeping my heart rate up at 150-161.
I also do an 1 1/2hr class called Body Pump once or twice a week and I hit the free weights on the days I don't take the class.
My question is:
How will my new diet effect my performance?
I have really stubborn weight, meaning it takes an act of God to move a pound...that's why I'm trying Atkins.
Do any of you follow a workout schedule close to mine? If so, did you see the weight move any faster? Did you have energy dumps? I feel great while working out ...but the next morning I feel very sluggish. Something I used to fix with a high carb breakfast....to say the least that's no longer an option.
One thing that I've decided to try is MetaboSurge...it's a stimulant.
But I'd MUCH rather find a natural way to boost my after-workout energy levels.
Thanks in advance for all your help~
Adey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 11:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Adey

That's quite the workout *ouch*

I have a few suggestions and comments. On your plan you say "low fat" I've got to tell you that low fat and low carb do not mix. When cutting down on the carbs you need the fat for a few reasons. First it makes you feel full and satiated. Second you need fat period. Your body needs it to function, some fats are even essential (They are quite aptly named Essentail Fatty Acids ) Cutting them out puts you at risk for all kinds of nasty things. If you are indeed following Atkins then I suggest following it to a T. Worry about the carbs but for the first while do not worry about anything else. Fine tweaking and dealing with fat and calories comes later, much later, as you approach goal.

As for the exercise, well I used to do workouts very similar to yours. 45 minutes of cardio 5 or 6 times a week (sometimes 2 bouts of cardio at 45 minutes twice a day). With LC I started lifting some weights for the first time in a while; this I have continued. I recently started another program (body for life ) and changed how I work out. Cardio is now 20 minutes 3 times a week (high intensity interval training) and 3 days doing intense weight training. After just 5 days I'm noticing a change.

Research I have done has all pointed to one conclusion, if you want to lose body fat and not lose lean muscle mass you must weight train. Cardio helps you burn fat while you're doing it. It also helps with conditioning. Weight training burns fat long after you're done; it increases your metabolism by bulding lean muscle mass which in turn burns more calories.

Here are a few links to info on weight training/ interval training and fat loss:

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT%26End.html

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/DietExStudy.html

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WeightLoss.html

and here are some medical abstracts relating to calorie deficit and wieght loss / fat loss :

http://www.exrx.net/Notes/WeightLossAbstracts.html

Giving up the cardio 45 minutes a day was not easy, I resisted and agonized. I've spent 13 years doing it and I actually enjoy it The 20 minutes of HIIT are tough though, very tough and intense.

With respect to LC and working out it is adviseable you slow down or stop entirely at first. It takes a good 2 weeks for your body to adapt to burning a new fuel (Ketones). Go easy on yourself no matter what kind of exercise you're doing and ease back into it. Are you taking any supplements? Potassium would be a good idea as would magnesium and calcium. These help with fatigue and cramping. Here's some info on supplements:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...s+AND+potassium

I suggest that to combat that sluggish feeling you are feeling you increase your fat and calorie intake. You should be eating 10 -12 times your body weight in calories every day. This is just for basal metabolic functioning. With as much exercise as you're doing it is likely your body has been holding onto whatever it can thinking it's not getting enough food. An adequate fuel intake is essential for fat loss, you must get your body to trust that it will be nourished before it will comply and start giving up that fat.

I hope this helps,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:09
Registered Member

BF:
Cool WOW!

I can't stop saying it....THIS SITE IS GRRRRRREAT!

Ok, I do eat fat; it's just that I can't bring myself to eat things like Pork Rinds and bacon. I guess it's just the years and years of training my mind to think of them as death on a platter! I'm sure I will come around soon .....:wink:

As to taking a break from working out...that's not really an option. I have extensive back problems and if I don't work out I hurt like hell. Trust me...I would love a break at times, but my mobility changes after just TWO DAYS!!! BAH!

BUT! Thanks to you I pulled out my sups (potassium/cal/mag and others) and I will take them! I swear...

I just really have to adjust to a way of eating that is completely foreign to me!! I have been a carb/veggie eater most of my life and have never even liked meat!! ARH!!! BUT! (again with the butt...hehe) I do feel lighter already!! So you know what...bump it! I'm stickin with it!

P.S. those links are great...I make sure to weight train at least 3-5 days a week

Thanks Natrushka!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adrikickb1.jpg (4.1 KB, 121 views)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: WOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ageless
I guess it's just the years and years of training my mind to think of them as death on a platter! I'm sure I will come around soon I just really have to adjust to a way of eating that is completely foreign to me!! I have been a carb/veggie eater most of my life and have never even liked meat!!

Getting over that "low fat / restricted calorie / eat less eat less" mindset does take some time; trusting in the program and seeing the results others have acheived does help greatly. Read the success stories; trust in the book. Eat that fat I'm walking living proof it works; I was the ultimate low fat dieter (and i was gaining weight with low fat / 1000 calories a day / 45 x 2 aerobic workouts a day). This works.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 06:50

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Adey-
When I was on my supercut cycle, I followed a similar workout pattern. I did a CKD, ever heard of it? Check out the CKD forum (it is a subforum of the exercise forum) and maybe that will be something you could look in to.

Linda
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 06:27

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default agree...

I agree that calorie intake may be too low, hence the sluggish feeling. Check your hydration level too.

Also, I feel that a CKD may be a good match for your activity level ... as Fern said, take a look at the CKD101 post in the CKD forum. It gives a big overview of the diet (low carb all week/carb up on weekends).

Let us know how things go with you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:39
Registered Member

BF:
Smile thanks for the replies....

I'll check out the CKD and I'll keep you all posted on my progress!