Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280.2/252.4/168
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question I don't understand it!

Hi all,

I am a totally fresh guinea pig. My husband and I, after reading the Atkins diet book decided to try LC's. I am currently 7 stone overweight (phew) a whole other person in here somewhere...my husband needs to lose about 3 stone. We started the atkins diet, with no slip ups about 11 days ago. Within the first 7 days I had lost 10lbs, amazing I thought. However we have both now 'stuck' we are not putting weight on but we haven't lost any more despite not radically changing our diet? Did anyone else have this experience? We think some restaurant may have sneaked some sugar into a salad dressing we had the other day - would this have done it? When it says no sugar allowed, does it mean absolutely none? I am gagging for a nice cappacino, so my husband bought me some strawberry herbal teas (as mint tea is gross) but it has 0.2g of sugar - could this have even done it?

Help, I still have a LONG way to go, does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 11:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi OKya,

Welcome aboard, the amount of loss in the first week, should not be expected to continue regularly. Let us know what you're eating, and make sure you don't undereat.

By the way, your message got stuck, this happens when you click the "Create a poll" without completing the options. It's not needed to post a message.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 12:22

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Welcome Okya

Hi and Welcome Okya

Thanks Tamarian for ungluing Okya's post.

You are still on Induction. 100% commitment is the only way to change your body's metabolism to a Fat-Burning Phase. The fact that you have lost so much already shows that you are possibly in Ketosis.

Salad dressings do contain a fairly high degree of carbs. I found that I had to start making my own salad dressings at home. As Tamarian has suggested we need to know more of exactly what you are eating to help you. Perhaps you could think about starting your own journal in Bootcamp. It is the best way of keeping a record and marking your progress.

Wishing you well and knowing you will succeed if you stay with it.
Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 12:43

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Progress: 0%
Cool best thing to do is write down EVERYTHING!

Hiya,
The best thing to do is write down everything you eat and put it on here, or better yet start yourself a journal, it works wonders!!

Also i was shown a fantastic website today called fitday.com and you put in your food and it tells you what your eating (fat,protein,cals carbs etc.)

I'm doing atkins and am on week 7 and have been losing around 1lb a week after my intial 7-8 lb in weeks 1-2.

That is about as much as you want to be losing so if you make sure your checking you packaging then you can list it all here and check it on fitday.com and you'll be fine!

Nice to see someone else from the UK!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 01:15

Stats: 280.2/252.4/168
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your advise, as it happens in preperation for this diet, I put together my own weekly menu, listing everything I was allowed in one day right down to weights and measures (I used to be an analyst!). So I am sure I didn't go wrong (as I have become a label gazer) - it was the eating out that did it. We are both in senior management poitions and work quite long hours so often don't get home in time for dinner - soe eat out. I am finding it a little embarrassing eating in restaurants when I have to be so fussy about what they can and can't leave in. However I do take a packed lunch everyday which has helped a lot. I have now lost 13lbs, so nealy at my first target....
The hardest thing was when we both gave up being vegetarians after 10 yrs! There is only so much cheese one can eat..
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 13:31

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile It does get easier ... I promise

Hi Okya

I was a vegetarian for 20 years with massive cravings for chicken every 2 or 3 months. Occasionally I did give in to the cravings and felt better physically but worse emotionally due to the conflict. My health deteriorated until in desperation I decided to give Atkins a chance. It was the best thing I did for myself.

<We are both in senior management poitions and work quite long hours so often don't get home in time for dinner > Is it possible to stock up at work with low-carb foods .. a few tins of fish; lettuce; cherry tomatoes etc .. even perhaps get your secretaries to help out. Once past induction it will get easier as you increase your carb intake by small degrees of 5g. It is not too difficult to eat out once in a while.

Congratulations on your loss.
take care.