Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 01:22
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default $25m plan to test health of preschoolers

$25m plan to test health of preschoolers

Louise Hall
June 29, 2008
The Sun-Herald

A COMPREHENSIVE medical check-up program to ensure children can hear their teacher and see the blackboard, before they start school, will begin from Tuesday.

Four-year-olds will have their sight, hearing, teeth and developmental abilities measured by a GP, practice nurse or child health nurse in a $25 million federal scheme attempting to pick up learning difficulties and behaviour problems early.

Height and weight will also be measured as part of the Government's promise to tackle rocketing rates of obesity. If a child's body mass index is too high, parents will be encouraged to refer them for further medical help.

Tests will be conducted when children get their immunisations. The Government hopes that, by the beginning of the next school year, all children entering kindergarten - about 225,000 - will have been checked. Tests are not mandatory.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon said the Healthy Kids Check would help parents to instil healthy habits such as exercise, proper nutrition and good behaviour in their children.

Parents will be given a set of guidelines, called Get Set 4 Life, to get a better sense of what they should normally expect from a four-year-old in areas including speech and language, oral health and hygiene.

"Ultimately, these things are up to parents but we know parents are under a lot of pressure and are busy, and we need to do what we can to help them," Ms Roxon said.

Parents can claim Medicare rebates of $45 for GP visits. Children can also be checked in community-based programs.

State Labor MP and pediatrician Andrew McDonald said studies showed the earlier a child's unhealthy weight was tackled the more likely he or she was to avoid a lifelong struggle with obesity.

"It will also help if GPs suggest to parents they don't send their kids to school too early, especially parents from lower socio-economic groups who tend to send their boys before they are ready."

Four-year-old Nash Hughes will be one of the first children to undergo the check. Mother Julie, from Charlestown, near Newcastle, said it was a good idea to link the examinations with the vaccination schedule. "If it's not invasive I have no problem with it," she said.

Many children Nash's age were already overweight or obese but she said families were under time and financial pressures that could hinder their ability to provide fresh fruit and vegetables every day.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news/healt...4472835783.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 21:57

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Why do they always think "fresh fruits and vegetables" are going to cure obesity (and virtually every other malady on the face of the planet)? I'm doubtful humans are designed to ram down all that five to nine servings of the stuff per day. After all, you couldn't eat that much of the stuff before the days of refrigeration, freezing and canning because it went out of season, so why is it suddenly the human cure-all now? I think eating too much fruit would make me GAIN weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 00:11
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Why do they always think "fresh fruits and vegetables" are going to cure obesity (and virtually every other malady on the face of the planet)? I'm doubtful humans are designed to ram down all that five to nine servings of the stuff per day. After all, you couldn't eat that much of the stuff before the days of refrigeration, freezing and canning because it went out of season, so why is it suddenly the human cure-all now? I think eating too much fruit would make me GAIN weight.

I thought, historically, that when a particular fruit was in seasons, humans would just plant themselves there and graze on it all day...