Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 12:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Dr. Ede to Speak in Winchester, VA 21 Oct 2017

Received this email from Dr. Ede over the weekend:
Quote:
Hello, food savvy friends~

I am excited to share that I have been invited to be the keynote speaker for a special one-day LowCarbUSA event in the beautiful Shenandoah region of Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C. on Saturday, October 21st, 2017.

I am creating a brand new presentation for this conference that I'm really excited about entitled "Plants vs Animals: Bring It On!" Myths about micronutrients, antioxidants, fiber, cholesterol, and much more.

Tickets are only $69 and include a delicious low-carb lunch. Attendance is limited to 120 people, so sign up today! There will be plenty of time for discussion between speakers and audience members, so come armed with your best questions. I love a challenge!

Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, Jacqueline Shoemaker FNP, Scott Dolly and I would all love to meet you, not to mention LowCarbUSA organizers Doug Reynolds and Pam Devine. They are passionate about health education and work hard to improve access to these important ideas for as many people as possible by offering affordable, welcoming conferences across the country. They are the best!

Here are the details:

https://go.lowcarbusa.org/wincheste...d201bc-97647217

She will be the keynote speaker in the day-long session. For those located in the general area, it might be of interest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 11:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

While attending the conference yesterday, one of the highlights was that I had the fortuitous opportunity to meet khrussva (Ken) and get to know him F2F. Here's my summary of the conference, which I also posted in Ken's journal as well:

I enjoyed the LowcarbUSA conference yesterday. It was time well spent, and being able to meet others with like-minded interests was probably the most valuable aspect of the conference, whether the conversations were with fellow attendees or expert presenters, all were open, accessible and very interested in sharing ideas. I can't have these detailed conversations with non-LC family and friends, as I want to keep these folks in good standing without driving them crazy.

Dr. Georgia Ede, the keynote speaker, opened my eyes by comparing the value and cautionary elements of plants vs. meat for overall nutritional contributions in a diet. While I'm agreeing with her conclusion that meat has more nutritional value and fewer dangers and downsides than plants, her presentation was extremely compelling going into details about what a vegetarian or vegan must do to experience a complete and healthy nutritional profile required by humans. It requires far more thought and supplements than that required by those who consume healthy meats. One of the questions really made me take notice when an attendee asked about the value of uncured bacon (which I tend to favor over cured bacon). Dr. Ede's response was that uncured bacon is usually treated with celery powder which contains natural nitrosamines, so it's not completely different than the cured variety; although, it's usually more costly.

Also interesting were some of the products on display and being marketed at the conference. Costco was a big sponsor, and I do most of my meat shopping at Costco along with purchasing the Kirkland Organic EVO. One of the presenters who shared her low carb story has been a Costco employee for 30+ years and indicated that Costco is firmly committed to stocking LC foods. There was also an exogenous ketone company that had sales reps throughout. I'm still trying to understand how these supplements would benefit one who is following a ketogenic WOE and has a decent level of blood ketones already. I believe these exogenous ketones are primarily being marketed to athletes and those who don't follow a strict VLC diet. At least that was the message I got from several of these good people when I asked how their products would benefit me.

All in all a fun time, and I'm glad they had the conference so close to my home. From what I was told at the end of the day, there will be another in Winchester VA next year around the same time. If you have an opportunity to attend one of these conferences, I highly recommend considering it.

Edited to add: I spoke with Doug Reynolds, founder and CEO of LowCarbUSA, after the conference and he mentioned that there is a new BG and blood ketone monitor on the market called keto mojo that will offer test strips for $0.99 US. He indicates that it's tested to be very accurate and properly calibrated. Apparently, after checking their website, it's now available for order:
https://keto-mojo.com/

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sun, Oct-22-17 at 11:23.