Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 13:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If you've ever been manic or depressed, I think it's hard from that vantage point to see activity levels as something that somebody just decides on. You really can't decide just how hard it is for somebody to get going from the outside. You could say the same about food. How can somebody tell me how hungry I am, or if it's not "stomach" hunger, but some other drive to eat, sometimes called "false" hunger, or "head" hunger--but which increases with starvation, which suggests to me that it's as legitimately a drive for survival as "real" hunger is--how can you say just what it is another person is fighting? You can't feel another person's hunger, or their cravings.

There's also a problem of definition. How do you know that somebody ate too much, and exercised too little? They gained weight. At some point starvation and forced marching will work for weightloss, for anybody. Will it be worth it? I'm happy if eating less and exercising more works for anybody, that's solved the problem for one person. But you have to understand that there's a strong bias to assume that what works for you will work for other people.

Well said. There was a time when, as prone as I am to question authority, I might have bought the obesity gene theory. However, when you think about how long we've had the current obesity epidemic, the gene theory makes no sense. Human genes take many generations to mutate to the point where the mutation will visibly manifest itself. In other words, this current obesity epidemic is epigenetic and is caused by something else. That something else very likely points to lifestyle changes since the 1970s, due to the spike in obesity, T2D, CVD, CHD, cancer and other conditions that didn't exist in the early half of the past century anywhere close to current numbers.

When we look at the history of health once tobacco was deemed deadly, we see many who gave up the habit or didn't consume tobacco products at all due to the recommendations of the government and health authorities. People are more than willing to adopt a healthy lifestyle and the drop in tobacco sales is a good example. People have tried to adopt healthy eating habits. Unfortunately, the definitions provided on what constitutes a healthy diet have been wrong.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 23:25

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I have loved reading all the above posts and especially yours Jean. Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I will do my upmost to stay very low carb as it is the only way forward for me. I am healthy but plump. 😊 Jools