Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 05:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default What causes Heart Disease?

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick started a series on "if not cholesterol" then "what does cause heart disease?" so long ago I can't find my original post about it.

He now posted Part 20! https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/...isease-part-xx/

This series might be longer than his Cholesterol Con book but this part is about stress...one of the primary conclusions he had previously. Dr Kendrick is a delightful writer so slogging through all the theories on heart disease is not that onerous, but no doubt, it will take a while to catch up. This can be read on its own.

Here is the original post back in January describing how he intends to summarize thirty years of work. https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/...-heart-disease/ and lay out the research on his conclusions.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-28-16 at 05:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 16:39

If anyone is still following....up to Part 40! Malcolm is still going strong.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2017/...-xl-part-forty/

This is a delightful comparison of Scots vs. the French. Or the American vs Italian Rosetta communities. It is not the Diet but stress.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 17:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Since I've been suffering from stress with serious issue for quite a while now... I believe him!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 17:36

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm French, My mother was born in Paris. I will attest to the fact that some meals can last 4 hours or more.

Just to add, something else My mother never did was eat noodles or rice, and very little bread.
The order in which they eat is very particular too. The salad is eaten after the meal and then the cheese course is after that...not eaten with bread but with a knife and fork.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Oct-27-17 at 18:23.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 156.4/156.4/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello Jey100

I have been trying to send you a private message but the website is not allowing me to do so (I have contacted them about this but so far have had no response as to why I can't access this 'simple' option).
Would you please have a go at sending me a private message and I will find out if I can respond in kind to you.
I wanted to ask your advice privately since you always put yourself out to respond in a very welcoming manner to newbies and be encouraging in general to everyone else.
I'm sorry to seem to hijack your thread but hope you will understand why!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 07:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You can't send private messages until you've hit 25 posts. You're almost there.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 156.4/156.4/140 Female 5'2''
BF:

Hey teaser

Thank you! for giving me that crucial information. Is there a list of these kind of rules on here for folk like me who don't really know the site that well?
I did email the moderators but haven't heard anything back as yet.....
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 09:35

BF:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=95688

Frequently asked questions here.

Looks like after your 25th post, you can PM the next day. Probably a good thing. Keeps our inboxes from filling up with "queries" about raspberry ketones and green coffee.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 09:57

teaser is so much fun I tried sending you a message but no go, you are not set up yet for messages either way. Play the two word game a few times and you will be there. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 11:00

BF:

Janet, thank you so much for bring up this Dr. Malcolm Kendrick series. It's awesome reading!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 14:45

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

Quote:
Data that links the work of Sapolsky and Bjorntorp who, in my opinion, ought to be recognised as the man who established, beyond doubt, how negative stressors can create measurable dysfunction of the HPA-axis which leads, in turn, to the metabolic problems that cause CHD. Or, to put it more simply. How stress causes heart disease. [No, it is not the only cause, but it is probably the most important single cause]. https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/...isease-part-xx/

From the comment section:

Carlos Monteiro pointed to this is his work, talking about the autonomous nervous system, more specifically the sympathetic nervous system. Also relating it to the PH level or acidity of your tissues. Described in his `Acidity Theory of Atherosclerosis`.

I've not heard of this guy before, but this is certainly interesting:

Quote:
Acidic Environment Evoked by Chronic Stress: A Novel
Mechanism to Explain Atherogenesis.

http://www.infarctcombat.org/AcidityTheory.pdf

The acidity theory represents a new paradigm, offering a sea-change in alternatives for the
treatment of atherosclerosis, by stress management alone or in adjunct to other pharmaceutical
or technological medical approaches. It prioritizes lifestyle modifications like diet, physical
exercises, yoga, Transcendental Meditation and through biofeedback stress reduction devices
or by other behavioral approaches aimed to reduce chronic stress through relaxation response,
consequently decreasing sympathetic bias and its harmful effects.

I'm not understanding a lot of the science here. Is this the same kind of acidity/alkalinity issues Marty Kendal addresses here?

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...comment-page-1/

My understanding is that it goes well beyond diet, though. One of the doctor's in the Arthritis Summit talked about heart rate variability and stress, for instance, for inflammation.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 15:11

BF:

Every time I run into this "acidic" theory, I keep getting contradictory information and not a lot of science. According to such sources, I shouldn't eat what I do eat, and I should eat more of things that give me trouble.

So either I'm a mutant, (which is always possible,) or there's a lot of gaps in the theory here.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 16:24

BF:

With the sort of acid/alkaline balance Marty's talking about--in the extreme, maybe there's a point. Kids on a diet that's 90 percent fat--unless you go out of your way to ensure sufficient mineral content, the diet's liable to be deficient. Pair that with water restriction to concentrate the urine and give the illusion of increased ketosis, as was done early on, it's no wonder if some kids got kidney stones.

Lactic acid to heart disease looks like a real rabbit hole. Starting with giving rabbits atherosclerosis by increasing lactic acid levels. Being a rabbit seems to be a major risk factor.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

This series of blog posts by Dr. Kendrick is now up to 49 parts! Who has time to read all that?

Here's my theory: If you can't explain your theory in 48 posts or fewer, then you probably have no freakin' clue.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 10:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
This series of blog posts by Dr. Kendrick is now up to 49 parts! Who has time to read all that?

Here's my theory: If you can't explain your theory in 48 posts or fewer, then you probably have no freakin' clue.

When it comes to Malcolm Kendrick he has a lot more than a "freakin" clue. He's written a couple of books that you might want to check out "The Great Cholesterol Con" and "Doctoring the Data", both of which I have read. I also don't have the patience to read through all his posts but I consider that a defect in my ability to concentrate not a defect in his understanding. He's also got a great sense of humor which I appreciate.