Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 02:53
Registered Member

Plan: Mine
Stats: 127/127/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Protein Sources other than Soy: Need ideas

Hi,

I have Fibromyalgia and have been craving protein like crazy lately, which actually makes me happy, because I know I was eating way too many carbs and therefore, an unbalanced diet. However, since most of the protein I eat usually comes from Soy...and I'm afraid I have a hormonal imbalance, I'm afraid of making it worse by eating too much soy. (Just a hunch, I think my estrogen is out of whack.) I've read that combining grains and legumes creates whole proteins (like brown rice and beans or lentils...) and there's always nuts, but they seem to make me gain too much weight. Anyone got any ideas? I was taking a Whey protein supplement as well... Hope this isn't too far off topic... I guess I'm more interested in whole foods than in low carb, but I do want to increase protein intake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 07:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegGrrl
Hi, I have Fibromyalgia and have been craving protein like crazy lately, which actually makes me happy, because I know I was eating way too many carbs and therefore, an unbalanced diet. However, since most of the protein I eat usually comes from Soy...and I'm afraid I have a hormonal imbalance, I'm afraid of making it worse by eating too much soy. (Just a hunch, I think my estrogen is out of whack.) I've read that combining grains and legumes creates whole proteins (like brown rice and beans or lentils...) and there's always nuts, but they seem to make me gain too much weight. Anyone got any ideas? I was taking a Whey protein supplement as well... Hope this isn't too far off topic... I guess I'm more interested in whole foods than in low carb, but I do want to increase protein intake.

Food 'combining' to make a complete protein has pretty much been discredited as an eating method since it was first advanced by Frankie Lappe in the early 70s. But that doesn't mean there isn't a place for a well-rounded menu of whole foods in a low carb lifestyle.

Are you vegan? Oops, probably not, since you mention using Whey protein--sorry. Whey protein is a great supplement, but don't forget about eggs, dairy (kefir, soft and hard cheeses), wheat protein/seitan, nuts and seeds and their butters, and small amounts of lentils and beans for your protein. Make sure you take a good supplement to ensure that you're getting metabolizable amounts of nutrients like B vitamins, calcium and iron. I know that lots of people think nuts and seeds make them gain weight, but you can incorporate them into salads, stuffings and sauces to boost protein without overeating them. Many people also find that using fermented soy products like tempeh and tofu (which can be fermented, depending on preparation method) doesn't affect hormonal imbalances. That's a YMMV kind of thing; you'll just have to see if tempeh and tofu still affect you. I would (personally) rely as much as possible on homemade or organic sources of protein (it's really easy to make seitan, tofu, nut butters and soft and pressed curd cheeses at home). Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 14:18

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Hemp nuts and hemp protien powder are good alternatives as well.

Last edited by LukeA : Sun, Jun-18-06 at 14:57.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 14:36

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Can you eat eggs?
I found something new in small containers of refrigerated Pasteurised egg white. You can mix it with fruits for a quick protein smootie, it is good and the eggs have no taste.
I stay away from Soya.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 11:07

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Eggs is the highest quality protein source available.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 14:58

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quorn makes non-soy based veggie meats which are IMO better tasting than the soy ones anyhow. My personal favorites are the quorn roast or filets. They are packed with protein, low in calories, and very low in carbs. I usually find them at health food grocery stores including small local ones or larger ones like whole foods.