Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 03:33
Registered Member

Plan: clean eating, semi LC
Stats: 142/138.5/120 Female 5ft1
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Has anyone gone from a very low carb diet to clean eating?

I have come to realise that keeping very low carb is not working for me so well this time around, may be because I am weight training. I have just reread Tosca Reno's Clean Eat Diet and it really sounds great though I would probably up my fats and lower the carbs a bit, the free eating of fruits and veg does appeal to me as does the 6 small meals a day. However, I am nervous to start eating more carbs! I have been low carbing since the middle of April and am still only 4-5lbs down on my start weight though I am changing shape and have much more muscle now. The other plus is that this is definietly a diet that we can eat as a family and as my daughter is only 2 will become a way of life for her. I am not sure but I guess the lack of processed foods and sugar make this similar to the paleo diet?

I would appreciate any experiences or advice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 06:28

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am one who does not do well on a very low-carb diet, meaning below 20g per day. I did try Atkins very strictly at one time (during weight loss mode) and didn't lose a pound. I don't eat high carb by any means, but more like 75g per day. I don't really count anymore and I do try to keep my wheat to an absolute minimum but I do not restrict fruits and veggies. My rules are fairly simple, I avoid processed foods, I avoid sugar, I avoid refined carbs and limit wheat even when it's whole grain. I do eat oatmeal w/blackberries a few times a week, some brown rice (no more than 1/2 cup serving) and an occasional serving of potatoe. When I do eat these foods, it's very little at a time and almost always with a protein and veggie.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:

That sounds exactly what I am thinking about but I may skip the oats as they seem to make me more hungry. Did you find you started losing when you upped your carbs? I now realise that some days my calories have been lower than 1000, not intentionally so it is no wonder I haven't been losing Thanks for your reply, it is very encouraging
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 13:51

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:

Yes, throughout my weight loss, I rarely ate less than 40g per day, usually higher though. Anything under that seemed to stall me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 03:05
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for that, it is good to hear Today I had a nectarine with my post workout snack of cottage cheese and I have to admit it tasted so good! I have now decided to watch my calories but keep my carbs low (I'm going to try 70ish with a minimum of 40), I am not adding many grains but may have some fibre crackers as a snack sometimes, no pasta though, funnily I don't even miss it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 11:29

Plan: my plan
Stats: 162.5/148/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I lose weight really well on VLC, but I gave it six months and had the worst hormonal problems you could imagine--horrible acne, horrible periods, and hair loss. I know other women do VLC with a lot of success, but I just don't think it's good for me. Every day I would wake up with 3 or 4 new cysts under the skin that would need some major self-surgery to get them out. My face was starting to look like a teenager-I still have scars. I'm trying to eat clean now, and I haven't had but a few tiny little zits since I started.

I do think that carbs IN EXCESS or out of proportion are the cause of all kinds of medical issues. But, for me, VLC was the cause of my medical issues. I'm trying to find a healthy balance. If it doesn't add nutritive value, I won't eat it. But I won't eat more than 100g. carbs/day because I don't want the triglycerides.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 01:27
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks J-Lo, I have increased my carbs to around 40 a day and now include some fruit and fibre crackers and have cut out anything processed. I haven't lost or gained so far but it is ovulation week for me and I usually retain water, I usually also crave junk but haven't this time though I think my DH would agree I am still a bit snappy!! Maybe next month this will be better! It's great you have worked out what is good for you, I think I wll increase my carbs further on work out days but don't want to shock the body with too may carbs straight off.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 22:48

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Interesting to find this discussion here. I'm in my second week of clean eating and I actually prefer it. My problem is that I'm wondering if I should continue dairy or not. Although I'm really enjoying yogurt and cottage cheese so we'll see. For some reason the weight is not coming off and I thought that perhaps I needed to raise the carbs and I actually feel better eating more carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 00:00

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'd be interested in this discussion. I can do VLC if I am not running, but I run alot now and it's just not feasible for me. Clean eatng sounds like something that might work better for training...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 01:18
Registered Member

BF:

I am also eating dairy, mostly milk in my coffee and cottage cheese but occassionally yoghurt too, I am going to see where I am at aftera month but I am feeling great at the moment.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 06:18

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I bought Clean Eating this week and am looking at it. I like the inclusion of complex non processed carbs. Doing well with getting back to no sugar and processed foods out of the diet. It looks like a healthy approach. I hope we can get a group together that posts regularly on this way of eating. I'm not doing "cooler 1" I'm just easing the family into it right now and cooking at home again. We tend to eat out way too much.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I was reading this thread and thinking it might work better than Atkins for my friend Sue. Will someone please post the basics of this diet? Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 08:56

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

this sounds like the way i eat.

Matt Stone clued me into realizing how sensitive i had become to everything so i went on a mission to add back.

i tried several grain items but oatmeal left me starving, brown rice was a one time deal and i just didn't want it w my meals, and i don't eat pasta..just don't want it.

so i am eating more fruit and several meals/wk are between two slices of sprouted grain bread.

my vegie consumption is pretty high and i usually have a salad daily (greek is a fav).

dairy products are a given in the form of cultured items and a morning latte.

i'm doing well and am happy w the changes.

i say, find the items that you enjoy and play around w how your body responds. adding everything back at once would not have worked for me and i suggest that this may help others in finding the right mix.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 00:53

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
this sounds like the way i eat.

Matt Stone clued me into realizing how sensitive i had become to everything so i went on a mission to add back.

i tried several grain items but oatmeal left me starving, brown rice was a one time deal and i just didn't want it w my meals, and i don't eat pasta..just don't want it.

so i am eating more fruit and several meals/wk are between two slices of sprouted grain bread.

my vegie consumption is pretty high and i usually have a salad daily (greek is a fav).

dairy products are a given in the form of cultured items and a morning latte.

i'm doing well and am happy w the changes.

i say, find the items that you enjoy and play around w how your body responds. adding everything back at once would not have worked for me and i suggest that this may help others in finding the right mix.

Here are some things that might help you. I was the same way with Oatmeal until I "souped" it up a bit. Of course make sure you're not eating the packed sugar free kind like quakers apple oatmeal or anything. Just the regular oats. So what I do is 1/2 cup of oats for one serving, 1/2 cup liquid (i do 1%milk but if you are watching carbs you can do almond milk) and 1/2 cup of water. I'll then add 1/2 scoup of WHEY protein powder, and cook. Add, tiny bit of butter, sf syrup, frozen berries, and .5 oz walnuts and you are good to go. Won't get hungry immediatly with it and it's low in carbs.

Another thing to try is QUINOA. It is a "carb" that is very high in protein. It may take a bit to get used to the taste, but it is a much better alternative to brown rice, and other complex carbs.

Hope this helps.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 11:55

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 361/361/160 Female 5 foot 3
BF:

Im gonna do this diet starting next month when I get to buy the book. I may just start trying it next week based on the menus Ive seen on the net but ILl buy the book when I get my paycheck.