Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 11:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question Zero Energy to Workout

Is it just me, or does low carbing significantly reduce your energy to workout?

When I lift weights, it's difficult to lift anything as heavy as I did when I was high carbing. And when I do actually manage to lift a weight, I find myself starting to shake and see stars. The experience is so frightening to me that I am beginning to avoid weight lifting because I worry I will pass out right when I'm pushing a dumbbell over my face. After the workout it's even worse; I can feel that my blood sugar is extremely low and I see floating balls of light and I tremble uncontrollably for the rest of the day (unless i eat something high carb). Am I the only one who goes through this???

I don't want to increase my carbs because I am not even losing at this consumption level. Plus, I really want exercise to jump start my loss and reshape my saggy body. How can I balance low carb with working out without feeling like I am going to drop into a coma? Are there supplements I can take?

Or is my situation just strange?

~mia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 13:27

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

You would need to talk to a doctor to correctly asess your situation. There are so many different factors that you need to consider when exercising, and things that you could be overlooking that are making you feel bad. I lift heavy weights all the time and sometimes I feel dizzy, with most of the symptoms you described. Sometimes it's because I am sleep deprived and dehydrated (too much coffee to compensate for missed sleep!) Electrolyte imbalance can definitely do it.
Another is when you eat, and how much. I have felt like that on BOTH high & locarb days, and in each case it was because I wasn't eating enough.
I also feel a lot weaker (and get the little balls of light in the vision) around TOM.
I don't think you have to eat high carb, (I don't think the abscence of carbs in your diet is nec. the cause)
If you don't take a good vitamin, you should, just in case your missing something important. You could try having a protein shake before you work out, too. And don't let yourself get dehydrated during workout.
Another thing I try to remember for myself during workout, is to breathe correctly. It is easy (for me at least) to forget to breathe deeply. And since correct weightlifting form requires a lot of circular- type breathing and patterned breathing (to stay tight, etc.,), it's easy for me to forget to breathe deeply, and after a heavy lift I sometimes feel lightheaded.
Just my 2 cents. Get a checkup if your worried.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 13:55

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I didn't lift weights before low carb, so I don't know if I'm lifting lighter weights.

I do know that when I first started heavy lifting, I would bonk if I went to fast from Lactic Acid build up. I would get dizzy, sweaty (more than I expected), shaky and felt faint. I was working with a trainer when this happened and I was really pushing myself. He had me sit down and breathe deeply when this happened. It settled down after a couple workouts and doesn't happen at all now and I'm working harder than ever.

I usually stay about 30 carbs a day and am really pleased with my workouts. I have to be well rested on the days I work with the trainer or I bonk. I also ALWAYS have a snack before working out. Usually avocado, cottage cheese or macadamia nuts. Something with a bit of carbs and fat. That seems to help. If I tried to lift on an empty stomach, I'd be a goner!

Don't know if that's whats going on with you, but at the very least you could try having a bit of carbs before working out and seeing if that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 14:21

Plan: Reduced carbs/Organics
Stats: 240/213.4/150 Female 5ft 6inch
BF: ?/26.9%/22%
Progress: 30%

Cindy, lilli is right it could be a number of things that only a check up by a doctor could determine why your feeling this way. Sometimes I feel that way if I go to the gym on a completly empty stomach or if I skipped my vitamins for 2 days.

I like to eat a small salad, bar or a LC shake before I leave work when I'm heading out to the gym. It takes a hour to get to the gym so by that time it's digested.

You also do need carbs for energy, make sure thay are the right kind.

If eating and getting enough carbs plus sleep doesn't help make sure you see your doctor. GOOD LUCK
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 14:45

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Mia, what are your calorie levels a day.
Also try a protein shake and 1 oz. of cream about 45 minutes B4 and after workout.
Jag
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 02:10

Stats: 192/177/165 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default I've been there

I felt just like you did all summer working out and doing low carb..but i have to say I didn't feel alot better with high carb. I tend to be a bit hypoglycemic and have found that I absolutely must eat a little before working out and also try and skip the coffee pre-workout these have helped me, try some nuts or a hard-boiled egg. If you still feel terrible maybe add a half-apple to your snack. You'll burn those extra carbs off very quickly and it may be just what you need. Also, are you taking any vitamins or supplements? I started on what I'd call an "extreme" vitamin regime about a month ago, and I'm not sure if that's what has helped or not, but the last couple weeks I have felt better than I have in 6 mos.
Don't give up on the weights..you'll see results sooooo much faster than with cardio
Good Luck
Teresa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 13:14

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

well its interesting that others have similar experiences! I will certainly go to the doc to rule out any weird illnesses, although i am starting to doubt anything is particularly wrong with me.

to answer your question jagbender, my cals are about 1200 per day. I tried having herbal tea with cream in it and it seemed to help a little. The cream also didn't seem to affect my weight much. If it gets any worse, I will try having half an apple before a workout.... thx everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 13:33

1200 seems wayyyyyy low.
I have calculated your BMR and it is 1700 resting
add exercise and adjust you should be around 1850-1900
That would put you at 10-15% below adjusted BMR and you will lose weight. Too low = no energy and your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose weight.
Jag
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 13:44

I believe that on Atkins you can get away with more calories for a while. I post a lot about BMR Basal Metobolic Rate.
Your BMR is what your body needs (resting) to maintain itself. You add calories to compensate for exercise and activity level.
Here is a link about BMR and how to calculate your level.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you calculate your BMR then adjust for activity level.
To lose fat and not muscle you cut the adjusted rate 10-15%
Example:
BMR 2200 x adjuster (1.4) = 3080 (adjusted BMR)
3080 - 15% = 2618 calories a day
2618 would be the optimal calories intake a day to maintain muscle mass and lose fat.
Remember the difference between losing "weight" (fat and muscle) and losing FAT only. You want to keep your muscle to burn the fat. You want to lose fat for long term results.
A lot of "diets" out there you can lose "weight" but low carb and exercise helps you lose FAT and KEEP the muscle!

Jag