Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 07:50

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Squash Casserole

I made this last night and enjoyed it so much I decided I had to post it in my journal and the recipe forum. This isn't a new recipe. My Mom has been making this since I was in high school. Everytime I make it and take that first bite, I think, "Why don't I make this more often?!"

Last night I used fresh squash from my garden. I had several squash that had grown too large to do anything that required using the seeds so I scooped out the seeds and decided to make this casserole. Wow! So delicious and buttery.

I will post the original recipe which calls for a cracker crumb topping. I just omitted the crumb topping and topped with extra cheese instead. However, you could top with lc bread crumbs, lc cracker crumbs, etc. I found the simple cheese topping to be delicious.

Squash Casserole

1 ...... lb ........... Squash, sliced
1 ...... large ....... Onion, sliced thin
1 ...... cup ......... Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/4 ... cup ......... Cream
2 ...... T ............ Butter
1 ...................... Egg, beaten
1/2 ... cup ......... Cracker Crumbs
......... to taste ... Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg, Paprika

Cook squash and onion in small amount of salted water.

Drain and add cheese, cream, butter, egg, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

Pour into buttered casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs and paprika.

Bake at 350°, until mixture bubbles and crumbs are brown, about 25 minutes.

Serves 4 - 6.

PML Tips:

● Use only a very small amout of water for cooking the squash and onion because the squash will give a lot of liquid itself. If you use too much water, the squash will become water logged and mushy. I usually only use enough water to barely cover the bottom of the pan.

● I always add the butter to the hot squash and onion first so that it will melt completely before adding the remainder of the ingredients.

● I omit the nutmeg because my husband doesn't like the taste.

● I topped with extra cheese instead of cracker crumbs. However, you could use lc bread crumbs, lc cracker crumbs, or any type of lc topping. It was so tasty with just the cheese topping that I think I will just top with cheese from now on and save the carbs.

● If your squash is over-grown, scrape out the seeds because they can be very large and tough when the squash is not young and tender.

● I switched the oven to Broil for the last few minutes of cooking time so that the cheese on top would brown and get a bit crispy.

● For a main dish meal, you could add chunks of ham.

Enjoy!

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 10:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

What kind of squash is used in this recipe?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 12:49
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I make a similar recipe..that looks awesome..i'll definatly have to give it a try!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 08:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater
What kind of squash is used in this recipe?

Oh... sorry... I use yellow summer (crook neck) squash... although, you could probably use most any squash/zuccini that you want.

(I will edit the recipe.)

Phyllis
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 08:18

BF:

Hmmm... interesting... I don't have the ability to edit the original post... so... here is the updated recipe:

Squash Casserole

1 ...... lb ........... Squash (Yellow Summer Crook Neck), sliced
1 ...... large ....... Onion, sliced thin
1 ...... cup ......... Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/4 ... cup ......... Cream
2 ...... T ............ Butter
1 ...................... Egg, beaten
1/2 ... cup ......... Cracker Crumbs
......... to taste ... Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg, Paprika

Cook squash and onion in small amount of salted water.

Drain and add cheese, cream, butter, egg, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

Pour into buttered casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs and paprika.

Bake at 350°, until mixture bubbles and crumbs are brown, about 25 minutes.

Serves 4 - 6.

PML Tips:

● Use only a very small amout of water for cooking the squash and onion because the squash will give a lot of liquid itself. If you use too much water, the squash will become water logged and mushy. I usually only use enough water to barely cover the bottom of the pan.

● I always add the butter to the hot squash and onion first so that it will melt completely before adding the remainder of the ingredients.

● I omit the nutmeg because my husband doesn't like the taste.

● I topped with extra cheese instead of cracker crumbs. However, you could use lc bread crumbs, lc cracker crumbs, or any type of lc topping. It was so tasty with just the cheese topping that I think I will just top with cheese from now on and save the carbs.

● If your squash is over-grown, scrape out the seeds because they can be very large and tough when the squash is not young and tender.

● I switched the oven to Broil for the last few minutes of cooking time so that the cheese on top would brown and get a bit crispy.

● For a main dish meal, you could add chunks of ham.

Enjoy!

Phyllis
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Phyllis, what am I trying to achieve by cooking the squash and onion in a little bit of water? Am I just cooking it to soften a little bit, or am I cooking it until done?

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 13:35

BF:

Sbear,

The main purpose is to cook the water out so that your casserole will not become soggy/watery as it cooks. I ususally cook until just tender (I like a bit more "crunch"... but you could cook until well done, if you like). I have tried this in the microwave but for some reason the microwave doesn't seem to render as much water from the squash and onion and every time I have steamed the squash/onion in the microwave, my casserole has been too watery. (You may have better luck with the microwave.) If you add too much water, the squash/onion becomes water logged and it's almost impossible to get all the water out. However, you need a tiny bit of water to get the cooking process started so the squash won't burn. I usually just cover the bottom of the pan... then drain well before making the casserole.

I hope you enjoy!

Phyllis
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Okay, got it! Il like them a little crunchy myself. Thanks so much for the explanation, as I want to do this dish on the weekend.

Thanks again!

Shirley
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 07:22

BF:

Hope you and your family enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

Phyllis