Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default How do I get sufficient fat?

I'm struggling to eat sufficient fat and i'm not sure how to overcome this other than drinking a cup of melted butter I don't eat red meat so can't take advantage of that fat content. I do eat chicken and seafood and now eat chicken thighs and don't trim the fat off like I used to. Can I use cheese to increase my fat content and what else can I eat. Adding a tspn of butter to my cooked food isn't quite enough. I rarely get the equation right.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 20:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Are you still hungry after you eat? Are you not getting in enough calories? Cheese is an okay source, as long as you don't have problems with over-consumption. Avocados are a nice fat source that won't feel too greasy if you're new to a high fat diet. You probably don't need to drink a cup of butter. I rarely add more than two ounces of butter to a meal. But I need the calories, I'm not saying everybody should do what I do.

Chicken with the skin on should be fine. Seafood might need something just to get the calories up to where you're at a meal. If you're in induction it's a little bit harder, but if you're climbing the ladder for ongoing weight loss, and nuts aren't a trouble food for you, some of the lower carb nuts like macadamias or pecans are another way to get in some fat calories without eating pure fat.

Coconut, coconut milk. There are lots of options besides butter or oils.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Salad with a generous helping of fatty/oily dressing.

Coconut Cream (can make pudding-like dessert with this). Pure Creamed Coconut.

Cheese. Celery with cream cheese.

Guacamole.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 21:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Sometimes I add a Tbs or two of coconut oil to coffee -- some also add butter as part of the "Bullet Proof Diet."

Haven't tried "Brain Fuel" (MCT Oil) yet though.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 22:21
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!! ~teaser, I'm not hungry, my calories were very low, around 600 per day up to even 1100 but good food. Cheese in cooking is my go to at the moment. e.g. today I slammed brie and fetta onto an omelette and cooked the whole thing in butter and olive oil with plenty of green vege cooked in the oil and it came up 23g Protein, 27g fat and 3 carbs and 350calories. I put more fat on this omelette than I've done in my life. It would normally be a tspn of olive oil and no cheese. So big moves for me but not the right proportions. I hesitate to go with nuts as I will overeat them regardless of hunger or willpower.
~mike_d Thanks for the reminder of Bullet proof coffee. I read the recipe last week and I think that would be something I would love. Will try it. Might help.
~BillyHW I forgot about cream cheese and celery combination aka as the celery boat to heaven - creativity is awaiting me.
The 1kg I have lost in 3 weeks of Atkins induction is shockingly low but my stomach has reduced in size. However this is probably just due to not eating bread. I'm concerned its the increased fat that is holding me back and yet apparently I am not eating sufficient fat.

Last edited by Cremorne : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 22:30.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 03:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
apparently I am not eating sufficient fat. Not the right proportions

Why do you say that? You list Atkins as your plan. There is no requirement for dietary fat, in fact it has limits for some fatty foods, and the Dukan book you read is a low fat plan. If you are being persuaded by some Keto Macro pie charts, please remember that you do not Eat the 75% fat because some part of that percent should be coming from your body fat stores (assuming you want to lose weight) If you are not hungry after a meal, can go 4-6 hours without snacking, then you have probably eaten enough fat and can tap into your own fat supply too.

The clinic plan I follow, based on an old Atkins clinic plan, is eat less than 20 total carbs, moderate protein, and just enough fat to be satisfied. In fact fats like cream have a 2 T limit, only 4oz cheese and no drinks with liquid oils, no BPC. Same as the Atkins Induction plan ^^^. Fatty fish and eggs are good protein sources because protein and fat is roughly 1:1 in those foods. Chicken thighs with skin is OK. If you are stuck with boneless, skinless chicken breast that does need some extra fat, a simple recipe is to add a jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 05:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Cremorne. I'm with Janet - you're posting in the Atkins forum, so I assume you're trying to stick to that plan. The induction rules are here. If you don't consider yourself on induction, nuts are later in the plan anyway, no need to have them. There are no proportions you should be aiming for - just follow the rules. Eat liberally of the allowed meats, eat your veggies with ample fat. There should be no reason to gob on extra fat, unless you're consuming too many lean meats like non-fatty white fish and skinless chicken breast. I do like these, and when I eat them, I'm mindful to have them with something fatty like guacamole or cream sauce on fish. Yum... I love white fish with a garlic/dill cream sauce. Very easy and fast to make.

Like Teaser mentioned, dairy can be problematic. It can be insulinogenic independent of its carb count - I think that's part of the reason it's limited on Atkins (as well as other plans.) I wouldn't go adding extra cheese just because you're looking to meet some ratio somewhere. I find it easy to go overboard sometimes, so I enjoy cheese on its own, or when it makes food "tolerable" (certain veggies) - I avoid it if it doesn't "add anything" to my food.

Do consider starting a journal here if you'd like better feedback on your foods. Best of luck.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jun-16-18 at 05:53.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Janet and Kristine. You are quite right that I found myself going down rabbit holes as I lost only a little weight and had stalled for two weeks. I'll read the rules again and try to get back on track per your advice. I appreciate it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 18:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I add extra olive oil to my salad dressing. Pour on dressing then add oo.

I have resorted to eating a pad of butter, a spoon of co, or cod liver oil, but Im am further along this journey and that may not appeal to you at this point.

WHen I fry up my eggs, I add extra butter or oo then, CO would work to in addition to some butter for great flavor.

All my meats I tend to fry in a pan so I can add extra fats. A heavy whipping cream can be the base of a nice sauce. Otherwise browned butter is delish. This can be applied to pork, chicken, or fish.

CHicken skins can be crisped up and crumbled on what ever appeals to you. Or eat as a side.

Bacon fat goes a long way to improving the flavor of most anything.

As it is summer, Mayo comes in handy making a chicken salad, tunafish salad, egg salad. ALso I mix mayo with mustard and use where ever I would use mustard.

Hope this helps.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 01:27
Registered Member

BF:

Ms Arielle, thank you for your suggestions. First off I have to tell you that I made "chicken burgers" (patties in other words) last night and I fried them in a mix of oil and butter despite them frying in my best non stick pan that I bought only a month ago.. Why do we do these things - buy a non stick pan the day before we go on a high fat diet!! I think this is the first time in my adult life that I have added butter and oil in quantity to fry something with inherent fat. These patties were made of chicken thighs that I didn't even trim the fat off.. Holy shit...Thats big for me. More than. So, I was beside myself at how fabulous these chicken "burgers" looked with juice running out of them. I cant go too closely into this so suffice to say, I am beginning to understand the beauty of fat in food. is it enough? I don't know. I don't think I can do the chicken skins but will tuck your suggestion under my belt. And mayo!!!!! Oh yay oh yay. I cannot believe I can do may and I have spent today developing recipes for mayo dressings for every kind of recipe as in - well if I dont have a celery stick, I might as well have a finger. ahahahah...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 08:18

BF:

lol, yes you can now enjoy food again.

As my appetite starts to wain, and I want weight loss to happen, I ease up on the total amount, say back to half, and see how that affects the weight loss. Otherwise, I look at the amount of meat---that an be cut back too, as I can easily suck down almost a pound initially but cannot eat that much as the weeks roll on.

The non-stick is great for eggs--- love browned butter, minced fresh garlic, and over easy eggs, with oo added to. How much oo and butter depends on what I need to accomp lish my goals.

Good luck!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 08:28

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

to help out:

oo - olive oil

co - coconut oil

CO is the real deal. Ms Arielle mentioned it several times in my journal and when I finally tried it (and kept reading over and over about it's protective benefits) it was awesome!

#13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 08:54

BF:

PS.CO is also anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Which ones specifically I cannot determine. However I can say althletes foot for certain. When OTC cremes did not work, the CO for a month did.

CO is great body deoderant-- I used as a body lotion before heading off to a very sweaty job......

Well worth buying, for many reasons.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 11:33

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Avocados - I eat a whole one almost every night
heavy cream - use in coffee, tea, eggs, etc
butter
olive oil
coconut oil
cheese - all kinds - sprinkle on eggs, bun-less cheeseburgers, etc
cheese chunks for snacks with summer sausage, etc.
cream cheese on celery or sliced red or bell peppers
pimento cheese on celery
sour cream/onion dip for celery, red and bell peppers.
BACON and sausage with eggs
deviled eggs with mayo and mustard
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-18, 14:43
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

In addition to drenching veggies with butter, adding butter atop steaks and chops, I like to use my homemade mayonnaise with 1-2 T. cream added for a lovely sauce for fish, chicken and veggies like broccoli and asparagus. I choose different spices each time to add to the mayo-cream sauce. Works for me! and for dessert, there are fat bombs. Recipes for them all over the net. Just Google. I have several recipes for them on my blog, but my favorite recipe for them is this simple one http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/fat-bombs.html

Last edited by Buttoni : Fri, Jul-13-18 at 14:49.