Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 08:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Ways to make new year resolutions stick

6 Proven Ways to Make Your Weight Loss Resolution Stick (without Restricting More Food)

Some interesting observations, related to maintenance also.

http://mindfulketo.com/6-ways-to-ma...solution-stick/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 09:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
2. Time is on their side
The single best predictor of weight regain is how long they’ve successfully maintained the weight loss.

If you can succeed at maintaining your weight loss for 2 years, your risk of weight regain is reduced by 50%.

You can’t make time go faster. But you can make time work for you while it’s passing by focusing on identity-change (a noun) as opposed to making a diet-change (a verb).

It seems likely that somebody who's maintained for two years has come across methods that make maintenance easier for them. For me, this step might be more along the lines of "find something that works for you, the path of least resistance that goes where you want to go." The difference between white-knuckling it for two years and finding something that you actually like doing for two years is immense.

I like the "throw out the last bit of cookie" bit. I've destroyed a number of jars of peanuts or peanut butter after binging halfway through them.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 03:47

I was struck by #2 also...just make it to two years! The study had some interesting observations in it, but it was all based on the National Weight Loss Registry at Brown. So of course at the end, because of the way that study is designed to never accept you can lose weight by eating high fat, their conclusions are:

Quote:
Findings from the registry suggest six key strategies for long-term success at weight loss: 1) engaging in high levels of physical activity; 2) eating a diet that is low in calories and fat; 3) eating breakfast; 4) self-monitoring weight on a regular basis; 5) maintaining a consistent eating pattern; and 6) catching “slips” before they turn into larger regains. Initiating weight loss after a medical event may also help facilitate long-term weight control.

Annually, I write the lead researcher, explain why my answers would not make sense in the context of their low fat world (I don’t do four of the six strategies above) but they are stuck with the study design. At least he reads my emails and answers..he is well aware of the Paleo/LC/Keto way of maintaining weight loss.

Like you, LC lets me control the "What The Hell Effect" (my favorite tip) Natural almond or peanut butter has to go in the fridge anyway, so hide it in the back behind something else. And for the first time in seven years, I made peanut butter cookies for Christmas. I can take out 1 to defrost and leave the rest in the freezer, and know that would not be possible with Oreos.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 04:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I was struck by #2 also...just make it to two years! The study had some interesting observations in it, but it was all based on the National Weight Loss Registry at Brown. So of course at the end, because of the way that study is designed to never accept you can lose weight by eating high fat, their conclusions are:

Annually, I write the lead researcher, explain why my answers would not make sense in the context of their low fat world (I don’t do four of the six strategies above) but they are stuck with the study design. At least he reads my emails and answers..he is well aware of the Paleo/LC/Keto way of maintaining weight loss.

You are more determined than I am Janet. I just gave up on the National Weight Loss Registry since their results in no way reflected my habits nor did their data collection form show any awareness of low carb/paleo eating. The study is so flawed in design as to be virtually useless in my opinion but maybe at some point someone will hear what you are telling them and act on it.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 04:23

Quote:
The study is so flawed in design as to be virtually useless in my opinion but maybe at some point someone will hear what you are telling them and act on it.

It's my small contribution to getting out the word about LC. I don’t even bother with the questions, only send an email to the contact researcher. I save the letters from previous years, copy whole chunks of criticism of the study and update. I’ve linked to DietDoctor success stories before and this year I even attached my latest full length photo in my profile, proving at seven years, I am still near goal.

He might miss me if he didn’t get a cranky update from the crazy LC lady. He does write thoughtful responses, too hard to change the study mid-stream.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-11-18 at 04:34.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 04:30

Almost the same advice, but from VirtaHealth.

Why Most New Year’s Health Resolutions Fail—And How You Can Beat The Odds

http://blog.virtahealth.com/new-yea...how-to-succeed/

I didn’t cross check the studies, but on a quick read, seemed they were using some of the same.