Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 220/211/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Does a cold cause weight gain?

I'm getting frustrated as I am gaining weight, 3 lbs since last week, while eating low carbs, mod protein, high fat. I do IF every 2-3 days with bulletproof coffee. In my mind, I'm losing weight. Visually, my stomach is flatter.
The only difference is that I'm coming down with a bad cold and I started lifting weights and walking. I know that building muscle takes a lot of time and effort. I would think that starting to exercise would assist in quicker weight loss.
I guess that it could be from that time of the month but I am tired of blaming that.
Anyways, thanks for listening/reading. I just wanted to chat with someone about it. I am going to keep going. I've had many stalls since January. But not this kind of gain this fast.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 11:40

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

yes a cold can cause weight gain (water weight)...at least in my experience. Are you taking meds for the cold? That could do it as well. Have you just started weight lifting and walking? Muscles that are being worked tend to hold onto more water which could easily be your 3 lbs and then some. I have read lots of times on here where starting an exercise regimen will cause a gain and then level itself out. Just keep going - as long as your doing what your supposed to the scale will eventually fall in line.

Most frustrating for me is the moon - I swear I gain weight during different tides lol.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 22:57
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 220/211/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks Luckyk26,

I'm pretty sure that is what happened. I gained 3 pounds and lost it once the cold was gone.

Thank you for the encouragement. I felt weird asking it. LOL

"Most frustrating for me is the moon - I swear I gain weight during different tides lol."

That's hilarious! So true! I can be so diligent on my food choices and still go up and down in the scale. I have found persistence is a key to success. Just get through the humps and keep at it. Health just keeps improving.

Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-14, 02:48

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

You're so right Smoothie. I am struggling (in my head) to maintain just a few pounds over my goal (can't seem to make it right there, but I'm determined to keep trying) and sometimes I gain a pound or two and it really gets me down. I keep thinking "I can't GAIN weight eating this way" (even with the odd cheat) and in the end I'm usually right. If I keep low carbing I generally lose the weight again pretty fast. What a great WOE!!