Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 01:58

Plan: Under 20g carbs/ day
Stats: 176/158/110 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Carb Nite to end a Plateau?

Over the past two months, I've lost 17lbs on a low carb diet (<30g/ day).

For the past two week the numbers on the scales have barely budged so I was wondering if anyone here has tried throwing themselves out of ketosis, using a program such as Carb Nite? The basics of it is that you eat low carb during the week and for a 5-8 hour window on the weekend eat carbs.

I get back in ketosis very easily, do you think doing this 'Carb Nite' once every two week would speed things up or slow it down?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 07:04

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Personally, I'm really leery of these carb-cheat things. From what I've seen the people who do well on it are hugely athletic and not very far from their goal weight, and men seem to do much better than women. In the materials from the site I saw several references to older (middle aged) women spending the whole low carb cycle losing the weight they gain from the carb nite, for months and months... Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm a middle aged woman who is not athletic.

Several people are doing meat and egg fasts right now, and it did a fat fast last week - but still my first advice is always a food journal, a back-to-basics approach, and patience. (Not very sexy, but usually it works!)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Yeah, people who do carb cheats are usually strength training and have lot of data on how their blood sugar changes in response to diet and exercise. Their glucose and protein requirements are very high and they go very low carb with depleting routines before they cheat to specifically jack their blood sugar and insulin. They specifically time their cheats so they are not taken out of ketosis.

It's become a popular bro-science diet so take that for what it's worth. One day of moderate (100g) of carbs won't hurt I think but there is no reason to think that a lack of carbs is causing you to maintain weight. 1-2 pounds loss per week is what you can expect on Atkins and water weight can move +/-1% so not seeing the scale changing for a couple of weeks is no big deal. I'd suggest doing what you've been doing for a few more weeks before trying to change it up. Don't overload the changes and obscure what is normal. It may be you're just jealous of the weight loss you had during induction which would lead to trying too hard and then messing your thought process.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: A72/LCHF
Stats: 248/187/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:39.6%/30.4%/19.9%
Progress: 50%

I am a IF and low carber. I started my journey first as low carb in 2006 and went from 249 to 165 today I am 190. After a few stressful events(death in family and job loss) in my life I am back on track including intermittent fasting with low carb after reading the emergency diet book. I found that I can consistently lose between .8 and .6 pounds every other IF day. At first it was difficult to do the IF day and also cut the carbs, but I feel so much better on this diet. I found the IF day a challenge but keep telling myself that the next day I can eat the low carb without counting calories...
The basics of this diet
all days (20 or less carbs)
day one IF - equal or lower than 400 calories
day two low carb no calorie counting

Typical menus:
Day one:
coffee (with coffee creamer (powder 4 tsp))
around 10:30 chew some SF gum
broth for lunch
between meals (water or some type of crystal light drink)
just when I am getting hungry for dinner I have a SF cola type drink
dinner 2 eggs with Waldens on the side
black coffee

Day two:
breakfast - coffee/creamer, bacon, eggs
lunch - burger (or other meat)
dinner - steak, salmon...etc
with small salad(olive oil, red wine vinegar) with either dinner/lunch
SF LC chocolate for dessert or homemade LC SF cheesecake

vitamins - B-complex, Vit D, Omega-3, reservatol, turmeric, coconut oil

times:
6am to 6pm --eat