Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 10:19
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%
Default Carb Cycling Works Like Magic for Me

I wanted to post this so that anyone struggling like I have been can see what I've been doing. Perhaps it will help someone else. I've done three full cycles of this now and I am thrilled with my results.

Like so many here I stayed on Atkins Induction level carbs for weeks, barely losing a pound a week, stalling, losing a pound, stalling. It was so frustrating! I tried upping carbs, upping fat, upping calories, lowering calories, eliminating dairy, supplements, but nothing seemed to work.

I kind of fell into this by accident after looking over some other diets that had metabolic tune-ups built in, where you up your calories for a certain amount of time to rev up your metabolism, and then go back to the stricter phase. This is all my plan, and it's working for me. You can see my results in my signature line. I don't keep the "weeks" necessarily to exactly 7 days. One of the carb down "weeks" was only 6 days. Week 5 carb up was actually 9 days long because I was on vacation. I stay on Carb Up until it's convenient to go back to carb down, or about 6-7 days. I stay on carb down until I've weighed in at the same weight for three mornings in a row. That seems to happen after 5-7 days. That happenned this morning, so today I started Carb Up.

This is nothing like a refeed or some of the carb orgies I have seen. I eat no grains, sugars or starches of any kind, even on carb up. This is all healthy, good stuff. Here's how it works:

Carb Down: Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, salad for dinner, low carb dairy, protein shakes - I've been keeping the carbs at 10-15 and the calories around 1200

Carb Up: Add fruit, more veggies, higher carb dairy (like yogurt), higher carb salad dressing, and nuts, I let the carbs go anywhere from 40-80 (net) and the calories about 1700. I'm basically eating the way I intend to on maintenance some day.

I would think, if you want to try this, that you should adjust the calories up if you are larger than me, I'm not sure anyone should go much lower.

I'm really not sure why this is working, I'm no scientist. I think what may be happening though is that on Carb up my metabolism gets really juiced, so that I am able to lose weight on Carb Down. After being Carb Down for 5-7 days my metabolism slows down and I stop losing, so back to Carb Up.

Expect to gain a few pounds on carb up. If you keep it within the limits I've set, you certainly shouldn't gain a lot.

It's so nice being able to have higher carbs half of the time; AND the carb down section is so motivating because just about every morning the scale gives me a lower weight. Woo Hoo!

I hope this helps someone. I wish I had discovered this months ago!

Anita
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 10:26
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Interesting...thanks for posting. How long have you been on Atkins total? Have you been carb cycling for only the 7 weeks you have posted in your sig line?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 10:38
Thank You Dr. Atkins

I've been on Atkins since January 24 of this year. I've only been doing the carb cycling for the last seven weeks as shown in my signature line.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just curious, did you count calories while on induction or restrict your intake?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 12:25
Thank You Dr. Atkins

When I first started Atkins I really didn't do Induction. I just lowered carbs to about 50, and lost 7 pounds the first two weeks, then nothing... a pound, nothing, and so on, so I lowered to below 20 and stayed that way most of the time until the last seven weeks. At the beginning I did not count calories at all, once I slowed to a craw I did, sometimes cutting back to 1200 or so, sometimes trying the 10x rule and going to about 1700.

Hope that answers your question.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 14:28

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

LCanita,

Not doing induction at all may be why Atkins didn't work for you. The foods you don't get to eat at all during induction, such as nuts, fruits, etc, are supposed to be necessary to eliminate both cravings as well as put your body into the right mode for weight loss. Many people will lose a certain amount of weight just by cutting carbs somewhat, but I think that induction serves additional purposes for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose.

I'm glad you found something that works for you and hope it continues to do so.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 17:03
Thank You Dr. Atkins

I DID do Induction, I just didn't do it the first two weeks. I was on induction level carbs for quite a few weeks, with virtually no weight loss. I never had a craving problem, never cheated.

A constant low level of carbs simply does not work for me. But, I can't LOSE weight without that low level. I need to shake things up. This is what I've found that works.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 19:12

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

Carb Cycling is beginning to pay off for me. I was forever losing the same 4 or 5 pounds only to regain them again. Over and over and over again. I did induction for months. I raised my fat percentages, I lowered them, I tried raising my carbs to see if I was one of those folks that needed a higher carb level to lose. Nothing!

I have started moving downward on the scale past THAT number I could never get below before. I am going to continue Carb Cycling as long as it works. This method makes menus much more interesting. Some days are induction type menus, other days are maintenance type dishes. Really adds quite a variety!

If you are successful in doing strict induction on Atkins to lose weight then great stick with what works. By all means!

But like many of us, who have been here for quite some time that have been unable to lose any weight after doing induction (I did induction for MONTHS). This may be their answer to finally losing some pounds.

Some folks here discovered that calories mattered, They lowered their calories and boom, weight loss started again. This just did not work for us.

HTH

Cheers
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 20:30

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Kathy - the voice of reason we all have to find what works best for us if we are going to make this work for the long run!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCanita
Carb Down: Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, salad for dinner, low carb dairy, protein shakes - I've been keeping the carbs at 10-15 and the calories around 1200

Carb Up: Add fruit, more veggies, higher carb dairy (like yogurt), higher carb salad dressing, and nuts, I let the carbs go anywhere from 40-80 (net) and the calories about 1700. I'm basically eating the way I intend to on maintenance some day.

I'm wondering if I kept to 2000 cal on carb down days and 2200 on carb up, it would work? Since my stats are higher than yours..
I know that if I ate 1200 a day, I'd be starving.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 23:44
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Have you stalled Quindal?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 23:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycody
Have you stalled Quindal?

Oh yeah! For over 6 months!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 05:24

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Interesting concept. Glad you found what works for you. We all need to do that. Kudos for figuring it out!

Quinadal, I certainly shouldn't be giving advice, but I don't believe a difference of 200 calories between the two "extremes" is enough of a difference. If you look at Anita's first post, you'll see that there is a 500-calorie difference between the two. In other words, she cuts her calories by almost a third on her carb-down weeks. So, if your carb-up total is 2200, going by Anita's method your carb-down total should be around 1500.

But hey, what do I know?

This might be a good plan to try for a month or two. I finally got down to a couple pounds from my goal, but I would really like to go down about 10 more pounds to around 140 to 145. I haven't been there in almost 20 years, so I don't know if that's feasible.

Anita, I'll be following your thread. Could you perhaps post a typical day, both in carb-up and in carb-down?

THANKS!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 08:05
Registered Member

BF:

1500 isn't anywhere near enough for me, since my BMR is around 2000 and that's if I sat on the couch all day! I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shift 3 nights a week. 2 of my off days I take 1-2 hrs of Tae Kwon Do class. So 1500 isn't going to cut it!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 08:28
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Quinadal - if you use the 10x rule (which is kind of what I have been doing for the carb up) you would be at about 2700 cals on carb up days and 2200 or so on carb down days. Most important (I think, I'm just figuring this out too!) is to keep the carbs way down on carb down.

At 2200 and 2700 calories you should be OK. As always, YMMV. I do know that the calorie figures I'm using for me are WAY too low for you.

Bawdy Wench: Typical Day:

Carb Up:
BF: Quiche, 1/2 grapefruit or bacon, eggs and fruit
L: Hamburger (no bun of course), or veal burger, peanut butter and celery sticks, 1/4 of an apple dipped in peanut butter
S: Protein shake made with 1/2 peach, or cottage cheese mixed with strawberries, or kefir mixed with fruit
D: Steak, big Caesar Salad, dry red wine, 1 square of dark Lindt chocolate
or two chicken thighs, pile of green beans, mixed salad, perhaps cantaloupe

Carb Down:
BF: Quiche
L: Hamburger or veal burger
S: Protein shake
D: Steak, big Caesar (sometimes wine here too, but I take it easy with the wine on carb down)
or a couple of chicken thighs and a mixed salad
or baked cod and a spinach salad
or pot roast and a Caesar

You can see the menus are very similar, just with the addition of fruit and higher carb dairy products on the carb up days. On the carb up days I also allow myself a higher carb salad dressing and some nuts.

BTW: I was planning for yesterday to be a carb up day, but didn't get the carbs up very good, ended up probably around 25 carbs or so, not really high enough to be carb up, but dropped almost TWO POUNDS overnight. Woo Hoo! Because of that I'm going to stay on the carb down for at least today, will decide in the morning whether to go back to carb up.

You can always watch on my signature line to see what's going on. I'm going to change it now to reflect my new stats.

I've been wondering lately if I need to stay on carb up for a whole week, I'm wondering if I couldn't do carb up for 2-3 days, then back to Induction levels for a week or so, I'm planning to try this next.