Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/130/110 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default did meat and egg fast stop working after doing it too often or too many times?

hi i've been thinking about doing a meat and egg fast, and, if it it results in weight loss, and the weight loss doesn't come right back, of course i'd love if i could hopefully repeat those results on a cycle

...i'd like to ask, of anyone who's done meat and egg fasts repeatedly,

how often did you do them?

and (if you have any idea) how many times did you do them?

and do you feel that they stopped working, or that the results lessened over time?

best regards
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 17:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Didn't you just post today that you have no money to buy food so you have to live off protein powder and coconut oil?

Sounds like your ship has come in! Certainly much healthier than protein powder, but even so, might want to splurge on some veggies too.

Since your questions are centering around severe calorie restriction and stalling, I will say that even with all out fasting the weight loss slows. The body has ways of slowing down the metabolism so you don't starve to death before you eat again. (Think of hunters out looking for their next meal during a famine).
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 18:00
Registered Member

BF:

yes, that was me, though no, my ship has not come in, but since those of u who responded on that thread questioned why i can't afford eggs and i got no other ideas about improving my weight loss under my circumstances, i figured i'd shift gears, even if i'm not yet able to afford food consistently. also, i would like to reserve the right to ask questions out of just curiosity - useful answers may help others in the future. regards...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 20:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No worries. We get people on here from time to time with eating disorders and they ask a lot of questions about starvation-y diets. It set off some alarms for me.

I personally think you can set yourself up for metabolic problems with extreme dieting/starvation not to mention malnutrition, like you mentioned before.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

(not starving by choice, don't worry ...starvation is Not pleasant ...input still welcome from anyone who's done m & e fasts about if they stopped working for u [and after how long of repeating them did that happen]) best regards
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 15:23

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

You have Atkins listed as your plan, so are you referring to his "Fat Fast"? If so, his guidelines were that it was only for those metabolically resistant. That would be by definition someone stuck on a plateau (halt in weight loss that lasts at least a month while following plan and nothing to do with changes in food intake or lifestyle).

If that is where one ends up, chapter 20 in DANDR, which covers metabolic resistance: causes and solutions, explains that one can do the fat fast for about a week and then move back into induction. Atkins also says it is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. I would take that to mean it would not be a good idea to plan to cycle through that extreme of a cut in calories repeatedly without possible negative health results.

Hope this info helps, and if you are following a different plan now sorry if this doesn't apply.

Personal experience is that time, patience, and following your plan exactly as written can and does work with realistic expectations. Just like the turtle, slow and steady can win the race! Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 15:54

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Sorry, just read your other thread. The advice given of trying to work out ways to actually eat food and worry about weight loss later is without question excellent input.

Besides gov't help, churches and community centers are good places to turn. If for whatever reason that doesn't work for you - go for free samples. Don't know where you live, but most grocery stores, box stores, and bulk buy clubs set up free food samples if not all day - at lunch and dinner time. Today I was in Harris Teeter and just walking through one could have some berries, melon, cheese, bread (would normally say skip, but if you have NO food then grain is better than nothing). Sam's club today had samples of fish, sausages, and other things I didn't even pause to look at.

If you can come up with even a couple of dollars, most stores have a discount bin or shelves where you can get bruised or dated produce and other items. Depending on your work situation, many restaurants will give employees free or very discounted meal with each shift worked. No judgment here - once upon a time I was a poor student without enough income to pay for rent and food. Instead of looking at what you can't have or afford, try to get creative and you can surprise yourself on how many ways you can find food.

Good luck and try to make finding food a priority then you will be able to move forward with weight goals.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 23:16
Registered Member

BF:

i know everyone means well by wanting to give me advice, but...

please, i wasn't asking to be told that i "should eat food" ...i assure u, i don't have an eating disorder (however, that doesnt mean i want to start eating carbs, which cause me health problems beyond weight gain), and the protein powder is adequate for my needs (just not losing weight anymore).

in this thread, i'd just like to know,

please, if anyone has tried the meat and egg fast, whether they continued to be effective after multiple fasts (with breaks in between)

(~marieshops meat & egg fasting is a practice that's actually quite popular ...u eat just meat and eggs, because for some people the added carbs in even non-starchy veg slow their weight loss.

as i mentioned to ~nancy, i'm just curious...

there have been some threads on here that were ongoing for a very long time, but i didn't seem to find any info from people who do them routinely, as to their effectiveness over time)

best regards
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 13:59

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

There some threads on Mark's Daily Apple forum of people doing meat & egg fasts ... also search for Vince Gironda and "old school" steak & eggs --- it was a bodybuilding diet in the 70's so there's some info on it in that context.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:

thanks, kirkor! ...other meat & egg faster's experiences still welcome
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-10-15, 09:01

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I have been eating mainly protein and eggs for about a year, no breaks, and have lost just over 51 lbs in that time. The only time my weight loss slows is when I try to add in something else.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 19:32
Registered Member

BF:

THANKS, CWATT! this is very useful, and encouraging too! congrats on your weightloss, and i'm pulling for u!