Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-14, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254.8/250.6/167 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Mayo stall?

I've been making coleslaw with mayo and vinegar and eating it with dinner. Tonight it dawned on me to check how many calories of mayo I was having. Wow! I was in shock. 500-700 based on the mayo I used! I already eat around 400 calories for dinner. I know this isn't really a calorie counting diet, but I'm wondering if this is why my scale is not moving. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-14, 18:43

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

I thought that about my chicken salad as well but Im in the clear, as long as I dont add additional veggies to it or an LC tortilla. Figure out your recipe and check the carb count not the calories.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 00:25

Plan: Custom
Stats: 210/192/170 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress:

The reason why the diet is not about counting calories is simply because if you eat this way, you shouldn't be hungry enough to overeat. For example, when I am on the strictest of carb-counting(not a single gram over 20), I can last for 6~8 hours between meals without feeling the slightest hunger. I can also eat roughly 1/3 of what I would normally eat back before the diet and feel full. Therefore I don't need to count the calories because it's obvious that the amount is much lower than I normally eat.

However, dinner can still a bit of an issue, from my personal experience. Because you generally don't use up a lot of energy at night since you're likely sitting and sleeping. Eating a lot of calories at night may not have as much effect in terms of hunger prevention as it does during the day. It makes a huge difference whether you can stay full for 4 hours or 7 hours when you're talking about breakfast or lunch. But for dinner, depending on when you sleep following the meal and how much you exercise(or don't), you may still overeat despite having a normal meal.

So perhaps have lesser portions for dinner. Eat until you're "not hungry" as opposed to being "full." If you sleep soon after dinner, perhaps treat it more as a snack than a full meal.