Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/170.2/168 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Question Gravey

Hi all, Almost to the end of my 1st week now on Atkins. Very happy with the way my jeans are now so loose I need to do my belt up 2 more notches!!.

Question ......I can't really eat and enjoy meat without gravey. So far this week I have used an Oxo cube for gravey and this is only to moisten the meat and do not consume 70% of it. So I don't reckon there is not much carb consumption there but I really need something thicker. Does anyone know what the carbs are in something like "AHH..... Bisto". Really do need to be able to thicken the gravey to a sauce but obviously not using flour?. If anyone out there has any other good ideas I would be very greatfull. I dont like mayonnaise and not keen on cheese sauces. Please bear in mind this is a UK post and any USA names may not be of use.

Thanks in advance Steve.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 12:48

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

You can buy Xanthan Gum in most health food stores (I got mine at whole foods). I used it for the first time over the holidays to make gravy and it rocked. It is a tad expensive-- $10 for the envelope. But don't let that fool you. You only need a couple of tablespoons to make a HUGE pot of gravy. It thickens up quick and what you buy will last a LONG time! Way better than making gravy with flour. Xanthan does not clump.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 12:52

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

OK, here's a reply from the UK!

Remember oxo's got carbs in it so you need to allow 2 g for each oxo cube!

Try this.
Dissolve your cube in hot water as usual. Place in a pan on the gas. Break an egg and slowly dribble the contents in while you stir. Keep stirring until it's just about to boil. It should now seem thick. If it lookes curdled, just put it in a food processor (blender) and liquidise it. Voila, cheap thick gravy!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 215/158/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Most of the canned gravies have only 3 carbs per 1/4 cup. I use it to cook meats in to give more flavor.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:25

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

MMmmmmmmm gravy!!!

Learning to make LC gravy was a must - fortunately Karen was around to save my butt and show me how!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=152071

<begin personal opinion>
When I began, I contemplated using different mixes or pre-made foods, figuring that I used so little, that the carb count would be negligible. Things like my gravy, regular ketchup, regular peanutbutter, a cracker or two.However, I quickly decided against that for 2 reasons. 1 - for me that's a slippery slope ... a few carbs here a few carbs there, all of a sudden I"m back where I started and 2 - those few carbs are coming completely from things like cornstarch, sugar, white flour etc., and I've made the decision not to put those into my body. Why sabotage myself and my hardwork for a tablespoon or two of a food that I can easily learn to live without or make my own LC version? However, everyone's different, and you have to make the choice that's rigth for you
</end personal opinion>

Wynter

Last edited by Wynter : Sat, Jan-31-04 at 12:29.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:46

BF:
Thumbs up

Well thanks everyone for your replies especially Wynter will try that gravy soon. Must mention here I've just had the best meal of my first 7 days so far. It goes like this:-
Grilled a large Rump steak on foil for about 4 minutes each side.Held on to the juices that flowed out into the foil.
Meanwhile got the wok out and put some olive oil in to just cover the base of the pan. Chopped up about 1/2" thick slice of large onion and about 4 medium mushrooms. Stir fried these for about 5 minutes then added some beansprouts and fried on for about 1 more minute. Then 3 shakes of the soya sauce and stirred it all together with the juices from the meat in the foil. Put steak on plate then dump all the wok contents on top. Boy what with the mushroom juice and all the rest ................mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Will be having this again.
Thanks again all.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:11

BF:

PS.
Wynter on the link you gave me you also mentioned LC YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!!!!..OK please tell me please ((he says really groveling now))How do you make it with no flour?? ((Come on give give!!!))
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:45

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Tee hee... who can resist a yorkshire pudding?

Here's the link:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=152073

A little more work than the traditional recipe, but so worth it. I keep intending to keep part of the batter to make eclairs or creampuffs too... even found a recipe to make "stabilized whipped cream" so it doesn't all squish out... mmmm

Wynter